New discogs shipping policies

Started by CannibalRitual, September 18, 2020, 10:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore

Quote from: theotherjohn on September 22, 2020, 08:15:27 PM
I could be wrong but if not, some entrepreneur/coding wizard could make a browser addon and website that tracks the complete price/selling data of Discogs (much like others have done for Amazon etc). Add in-price tracking with email notifications to say when something is listed under a customer defined price and you're winning.

And that's the only hope, cause if you wait from Discogs staff it will never happen. They dont even have introduced a new much neccesary function to seperate wantlist from stuff you want to get notification emails for ! - They allow sellers to reannounce their stuff everyday, the same and the same sellers with the same stuff everytime i open the marketplace. I wish i could block them. Seriously, i dont think this helps them, gives buyer the impression it's always there. - As for notification emails, i had turn them off in a week once i tried them, cause of that.

Also, to help the database running and expanding, and give contributors something back, they could for every newly added release when it sells for first time -and only then- for 5EUR and above, to give the guy who added it 50cent credit points, and when he has enough to buy a release Discogs to pay for him using his credit. - What's the use of their fucking rank points ?! What they think contributors are ? Kids ? At least respect them and dont fool them with rankings and such shit.

I suspect people working for Discogs dont use Discogs, and they dont care to ask and listen.

That said, Discogs database is the best place in the internet. OK, one of the best at least. And their marketplace useful, no matter its cons.

Maybe their sales history is the reason prices go up all the time. I think yes.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: Theodore on September 25, 2020, 04:28:53 AM
They allow sellers to reannounce their stuff everyday, the same and the same sellers with the same stuff everytime i open the marketplace. I wish i could block them.

Yes, so annoying. My List of new items from my waitlist for sale is 90% the same stuff everyday.. What are these sellers thinking?

CannibalRitual

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on September 25, 2020, 09:45:51 AM
Quote from: Theodore on September 25, 2020, 04:28:53 AM
They allow sellers to reannounce their stuff everyday, the same and the same sellers with the same stuff everytime i open the marketplace. I wish i could block them.

Yes, so annoying. My List of new items from my waitlist for sale is 90% the same stuff everyday.. What are these sellers thinking?

It led me to remove everything from my want list. Simple solution. Usually I just buy something straight away when I need it. There's discogs users with 1000ths of entries in their want list, will they ever get their stuff?

Ashmonger

Setting it up right now, so far it's certainly better than bigcartel it seems. I've tried setting that up, but couldn't figure out how to let it resemble anything near actual shipping costs without undercharging or overcharging by a lot depending on how many items are ordered.
Problem I'm seeing now is that I didn't know what flat rate shipping is. Started looking for it, then I understand why that is. If I understand correctly, Belgian postal system doesn't have a flat rate shipping option. For which I have to congratulate discogs immediately. Great job thinking that post works the same in every country and you don't have the option to disable flat rate. Slow clap, well done!
It could be a good thing for me, I've lost orders due to steep shipping costs, but some people order then pull out when shipping is too expensive, other people just send a message, so it's not a problem or shouldn't be. But I understand that for a lot of people in these times it's too much to simply send a message. So probably people have not ordered or sent me messages because of that, so let's see if some more orders come in now.
The bulk of orders from discogs probably goes through professional and not so professional labels and distros, but I wonder what percentage of their sales is just from people who want to get rid of some second hand items or their own artist copies. I regularly come across those kind of lists, with less then 100 items. Will these people do the effort of setting it up? Or will they just search for another channel? If they go elsewhere and that percentage is big enough, discogs might loose money on it rather than earn more... Though I realise that probably won't be the case...

One extra problem I come across: I regularly ship CDs without jewel case, because that makes them weigh less than 100g, so shipping is almost half, so regularly people choose that option. Digipaks also mostly weigh less than 100g and are thus cheaper to ship. No way to do this with this system, too bad, I guess...

FreakAnimalFinland

I had removed most of my 2nd hand inventory from discogs before the announcement for new policies came. When it happened, it was good moment to remove rest of the stuff. Some stuff is now with cheaper prices in 2nd hand items of my own store. It's been a while since I last used discogs even for purchases. It is of course related to fringe scenes one deals with, but fairly random way of banning items, increasing fees, complicated ways of doing things... it's not something I feel the need of using. So much more easier to focus on own things, than spread out all over different platforms.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

absurdexposition

Just got a domestic order for 2 cassette tapes and it invoiced the buyer for $0 shipping. Thankfully the buyer noticed and asked for a proper invoice. My policies have been set up and were working fine until I implemented required the "All Formats" thing, but it should have (incorrectly) charged the buyer $12, not $0...
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

CannibalRitual

Just read they postponed the shipping policies requirement for one more month. Thanks to all the great feedback from the community, yeah sure thing bitches!! Didn't even get more orders since I switched so they also lied to me when they said it will result in drastic increase, ha! ;)

evilxskin

I haven't set up those automatic shipping values. And what I have read here it would be pain in the ass for few hours, especially when you are shipping from Finland and there are multiple options.. maybe I stop selling in discogs and just unload my shit to resellers. Even thought I won't get that much money in return, but I will save hours (prob days) what it takes to set up things + packing and posting, etc.

holy ghost

I am planning on getting back into the discogs game - it wasn't too hard but pretty stupid. I'm basically going to say "don't pay until you message me" and hope my small fish seller account doesn't get too fucked. If I start losing money I'm out.

holy ghost

I have actually made a whole bunch of sales in the past two days - and then I've also received a number of emails from Americans complaining about my shipping rates. So who knows, I have clearly stated that I have set the rates high and will refund any difference or to email for a direct quote but people seem to be not reading my clearly stated terms.

collapsedhole

it seems the same to me?

i say 'free shipping in the usa' in the item description, charge $0 on the invoice, and just raise price of item acccordingly.

if it goes overseas i add in the amount on the invoice.

i just sold a tape for $12 last week, it was a domestic sale to someone else here in the states, and the process was the same as its always been...?

CannibalRitual

so you let discogs collect their fees for shipping too?

PTM Jim

Quote from: CannibalRitual on October 05, 2020, 04:13:41 PM
so you let discogs collect their fees for shipping too?
True. Don't do that James. If anything charge less for the tape and more for shipping.

collapsedhole

honestly that didnt even occur to me.

maybe thats why i dont sell much through websites... too many logistical problems/work. now that it has been brought to my attention, i do see your point... but i'm not a label/distro selling the majority of my product through the discogs platform. i dont think anyone is making enough bank to really care about the $20 a month i make off selling on discogs. i buy much more on there then i sell.

when i have copies of my own releases available almost all of them go through having direct contact with me... as in someone personally messages me and we communicate about the sale. i like it better that way, and purposely do not have much of a internet presense anywhere... i do use IG but that forces the person who wants my stuff to have direct contact with me, so i think thats ok.

re:evolution

Just providing my experience after going through the process of setting up required shipping polices.

Basically I sent up base prices per unit / format for single and multiple items. But the Discogs system REQUIRES you to have postage weight brackets to apply to all orders for the shipping polices to be deemed 'complete'. OK - I did that too - and tried to work weight brackets to match per unit / format type postage prices.

But since having these 'standardised' polices the postage seems to be ONLY calculated on weight. The system then only factors in the assumed weight of the ordered items, but then does not factor in the actual packaging, which would push the parcel into the next weight /postage bracket.

This has happened with two orders already where I have to request additional postage or cancel the order. Just another example of things becoming more complicated when trying to make something more streamlined.  
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/