Golden Rain

Started by Balor/SS1535, September 08, 2020, 08:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balor/SS1535

Earlier this year I purchased a copy of "2010" by Golden Rain after minimal exposure to the project.  I greatly enjoy the cassette, and am wondering what others think of this project.

The minimalistic synth tones, aggressive percussion (and some samples too, I think), and echoing vocals all work great together, and make this one of my favorite power electronics projects in the world.

Unfortunately their output is restricted to only two cassettes on F&V, both of which were released about 10 years ago.

Does anyone know if this project is still active?  Have there been any more live performances?  While extremely unlikely, is there any potential for new material?  Is the guy behind Golden Rain active in any other projects?

Also, has Golden Rain done any interviews?

FreakAnimalFinland

Vocalist is featured in Finnish noise documentary, Romua Ruiskeita Rutinaa.
One half of project was part of E.S.T. Label.
Both guys are around, but I don't think much activity in recording noise.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 08, 2020, 08:18:22 PM
Vocalist is featured in Finnish noise documentary, Romua Ruiskeita Rutinaa.
One half of project was part of E.S.T. Label.
Both guys are around, but I don't think much activity in recording noise.

Interesting.  I have come across that documentary a few times and would like to see it, but I unfortunately do not understand Finnish.  Do you have a link to the label?  I was unable to locate it on Discogs.

I see also from Discogs and old posts here that the members were also part of Ritual Feces and Restraint, so I guess I will try to track down some of that stuff next.

cr

Interesting.  I have come across that documentary a few times and would like to see it, but I unfortunately do not understand Finnish.

The DVD has English subtitles.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: cr on September 09, 2020, 08:16:22 PM

Interesting.  I have come across that documentary a few times and would like to see it, but I unfortunately do not understand Finnish.

Good to know.  I will seek it out.

yosef666

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 09, 2020, 09:24:40 PM

Just be aware that the DVD is PAL not NTSC so won't play on standard US players.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: yosef666 on September 09, 2020, 10:07:16 PM

Just be aware that the DVD is PAL not NTSC so won't play on standard US players.

Well, there goes some hope...

Is the movie worth watching?  The people featured on it would be really interesting to hear from, but I wonder whether it will just be more of the same that can be found in other interviews.  Also, the 20 minute time frame would seemingly not leave much space for depth.

Theodore

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

cr

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 09, 2020, 11:34:11 PM

Is the movie worth watching?  The people featured on it would be really interesting to hear from, but I wonder whether it will just be more of the same that can be found in other interviews.  Also, the 20 minute time frame would seemingly not leave much space for depth.

I think it's worth watching. Yes, a bit too short but still good and interesting.
The DVD is a combination with the Black Metal docu ETERNAL FLAME OF GEHENNA (Loputon Gehennan Liekki), which can be found easily on youtube. If I remember right this one is over 50 minutes long and also well worth the watch.

ConcreteMascara

Love the Golden Rain tapes. Originally I was a bigger fan of the Praise the Whore tape but overtime I've come to thinking the live one is better. Can't go wrong either way. On my first trip to Finland I got to spend several nights out drinking with both guys from EST, arguing about black metal and noise, listening to italodisco, leering at Finnish women. Fond memories!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: cr on September 10, 2020, 09:27:48 AM

I think it's worth watching. Yes, a bit too short but still good and interesting.
The DVD is a combination with the Black Metal docu ETERNAL FLAME OF GEHENNA (Loputon Gehennan Liekki), which can be found easily on youtube. If I remember right this one is over 50 minutes long and also well worth the watch.

Thanks, I will give that one a watch too.  Both look really interesting.

Hatefukk

Don't lose hope yet!  I am pretty certain that you can mess with VLC player to make it play PAL dvd's.  If not you can insert a PAL DVD in most computers and it will give you the option of changing the format to PAL. You could always do that, rip the dvd and change it back to NTSC.  Most systems only give you a certain amount of changes for the format before it sticks with one but I've used that trick before to watch a japanese film that I couldn't get in NTSC.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Hatefukk on September 12, 2020, 01:26:11 AM

Don't lose hope yet!  I am pretty certain that you can mess with VLC player to make it play PAL dvd's.  If not you can insert a PAL DVD in most computers and it will give you the option of changing the format to PAL. You could always do that, rip the dvd and change it back to NTSC.  Most systems only give you a certain amount of changes for the format before it sticks with one but I've used that trick before to watch a japanese film that I couldn't get in NTSC.

Thanks, I didn't know this!

CannibalRitual

Quote from: Hatefukk on September 12, 2020, 01:26:11 AM

To get around DVD restrictions, copy protection, NSA backdoors and such, just use a Linux system instead. It doesn't support any of that bullshit because those mechanisms obviously are not available open source. If you don't want to install it fully you can just boot it from an USB stick as well. Few years ago I think they tried to get Linux banned in the USA just for that reason...

Zeno Marx

I've grabbed PAL videos from the Dime tracker, and VLC has no problems playing them.  It just does.  You don't have to screw with settings.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.