"Human all too Human"

Started by JLIAT, August 29, 2020, 11:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aububs

the anti-intellectualism is in regards to analysis of the music, not the music itself

JLIAT

Aesthetics is for the artist as Ornithology is for the birds.

— Barnett Newman

Quote from: aububs on September 13, 2020, 09:54:39 PM
the anti-intellectualism is in regards to analysis of the music, not the music itself

Yes i'm aware of that idea, in analysis the impact of the artwork its essence which transcends rational thought and explanation is lost. You can find it in Schelling and the Romantics, as also in Tom Wolfe's 'Painted Word'.

However there is another form in which lets say for instance the motivation for Bennett in creating Power Electronics was the "philosophy" of De Sade and the music/art of Yoko Ono is ignored by someone who merely uses the style for some other purpose, say entertainment.

And I suppose another in which the kind of music is simple folk songs and ballads... which became popular music & rock. The Rolling Stones are number 1 again!

I think the academic interest in "Noise" (which was greater?)  rather than PE / Industrial was the simple question 'is noise music'?

Also it seemed almost predicted by Atali in the 70s...

"Beyond the rupture of the economic conditions of music, composition is revealed as the demand for a truly different system of organisation, a network within which a different kind of music and different social relations can arise. A music produced by each individual for himself, for pleasure outside of meaning, usage and exchange." (Jacques Atali in "Noise The Political Economy of Music" p. 137.)

When I Heard the Learn'd Astronomer
BY WALT WHITMAN

When I heard the learn'd astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.

aububs

Quote from: JLIAT on September 14, 2020, 10:34:39 AM
Quote from: aububs on September 13, 2020, 09:54:39 PM

Yes i'm aware of that idea
the post i was responding to got deleted

Atrophist

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on September 05, 2020, 05:27:13 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on September 04, 2020, 07:13:07 PM
Anti-intellectualism has always been an issue in the "underground"

That may or may not be true, but at least there's a level of humor there that might otherwise be thought to be lacking.

I think you are both right, and there are also lots of exceptions to the points you both make. In my own experience, it's the tr00-kvlt scene police types who are the most grim and humourless types imaginable.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Atrophist on September 14, 2020, 10:00:13 PM

That may or may not be true, but at least there's a level of humor there that might otherwise be thought to be lacking.

I think you are both right, and there are also lots of exceptions to the points you both make. In my own experience, it's the tr00-kvlt scene police types who are the most grim and humourless types imaginable.

Agree that at least one of us is right.;)

I think I'm just rephrasing here, both my own and Atrophist's comment, but humor and apparent anti-intellectualism could be said to reinforce the other. A chicken and egg thing, perhaps. But there's always a bit of a pickle there in reading too much into showbiz. Not that I'm anything like pickle-averse. Far from it.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

JLIAT

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on September 16, 2020, 06:12:41 AM

Maybe, but Monty Python is thought to be funny, and most were Cambridge graduates....

I think I'm just rephrasing here, both my own and Atrophist's comment, but humor and apparent anti-intellectualism could be said to reinforce the other. A chicken and egg thing, perhaps. But there's always a bit of a pickle there in reading too much into showbiz. Not that I'm anything like pickle-averse. Far from it.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: JLIAT on September 16, 2020, 07:10:08 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on September 16, 2020, 06:12:41 AM

Maybe, but Monty Python is thought to be funny, and most were Cambridge graduates....

I'm sorry, but if you want me to go on arguing you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag