Latest good odd special packages

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 21, 2020, 08:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

There has been other topics of special packaging in industrial/noise.
This culture seems to have slightly... getting smaller?
Or lets say: changed its nature. Now often when someone says special packaging, it may mean factory made item, multiplied by hundreds of similar. So it may be special if term means "superior quality" or something like that. But it is not really special in category of distinguished by some unusual quality.

Not just silkscreened or lazer-cut plywood box-set. Not just some folder ordered from chinese factory. Special, in a way that it is distinguished by some unusual quality.

If we'd narrow down to lets say last 3 years being "latest", any packages that stood out? Memorable things?

I am personally in slightly odd place, since while being "customer" who buys stuff, I am most often in role of "distributor". I just grab things to myself from distro stock I'm getting. Ultra limited special items is barely category that has "distributors", so it is possible that I just don't see as many of these as before. Or it may be fact, that there are less of them?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

WCN

Fusty Cunt definitely directly comes to mind as a current label with excessive and insane special packaging. Cipher Productions stays consistent with the well made unusual packaging. Private stuff from Treriksröset and Die Kombination is always impressive.
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

urall

In the last month the boxsets of Sunken Cheek and Mattias Gustafsson (Altar of Flies) come to mind.

Sentimental Productions also does cool ltd edition boxes or packaging.

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

ConcreteMascara

Aural Hypnox has probably the most consistently nice packaging which compliments/enhances the work. Between the screen printing, the photos, the additional written matter, most releases feel like a special event. Oh and the incense and cassette boxes. And all of the packaging extras feel like they're in the service of something greater. The effort and aesthetic is more than just a selling point.

Aural Hypnox aside, the Treriksröset special edition tape is a new standard of quality for a special edition. A+ work there. The Mo*Te / Worth tape on Cipher was simple but effective. This Xenojothsz tape from last year felt like something straight out of the '90s. https://www.discogs.com/Xenojothsz-Nada-Y-P%C3%ADel/release/14281698   I was also pretty fond the packaging for the 3 IOPS tape from earlier this year which somehow combined classy and sleazy really well. Those weird plastic over cases are always a pain to find shelf space for but I like they way they look and that you can get a good size booklet in there without bending it.

I have mixed feelings about some of the Fusty packaging, but some of it comes together really well.

EDIT: my feelings on Aural Hypnox and recent IOPS tapes remain the same but perhaps thats what referred to in the original post as quality packaging thats not special
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Theodore

This Evil Moisture boxset : https://www.discogs.com/Evil-Moisture-Enturbulated-Morphoontology-Live-1995-2017/release/12767666 . Completely hand-made, assembled. Cardboard -solid- with artwork , 'sits' taken from elsewhere and glued -some have plastic straps 'handcuffs' to secure the cassette-, spray-painted recycled tapes, box came in thin plastic film 'sleeve' . It satisfies all your senses. Even smell !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

yosef666

Quote from: absurdexposition on August 21, 2020, 04:14:31 PM
Fusty definitely came to mind immediately as well. My favourite one as of late: https://www.discogs.com/Ahlzagailzehguh-Skin-Graft-Ahlzagailzehguh-Skin-Graft/release/13409015
Absolutely. Jim takes real care with his releases. A favorite of mine is the special edition of the Mania/Deterge split LP:

https://www.discogs.com/Mania-4-Deterge-Lay-Waste-Future-of-Pulse/release/12135585

Jim took metal signs, shot them up with various guns, cut the signs up , numbered them & included them with the LPs. Basically impossible to store anywhere. Lots of great Deterge releases like that, like the tape attached to mousetraps and sawblades or in an abstractly shaped piece of wrought iron.

Another that comes immediately to mind (although at 6 years old is technically outside the scope you asked) would be the first Zyklon SS tape, in a tin full of broken glass & rusty nails. After managing to fish it out, the case was coated in fine glass dust, actually potentially very dangerous to the consumer, so really the epitome of nasty industrial packaging.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

Strangecross

Not exactly ODD, but certainly special and rare:
Panicsville/Evil Moisture split LP
Comes in Library gatefold protectors, including the pocket for the checkout card. I think something is also weird about the RPM.
Two artists who needed to be on the same slab at some point. I guess the thing was delayed for years, if i remember correctly, because of the in depth packaging.
not too often to see special packaging on LP? only others i can think of (that i own at least) is the BTHN on dogma chase with the metal emblem, or the sand paper on the Lunde for WCN.

bogskaggmannen

Quote from: Strangecross on August 22, 2020, 04:04:47 AM
not too often to see special packaging on LP

This. Should be more though, would like to see more home made packaging for LPs, but I guess it would be reflected in the price.

FreakAnimalFinland

There was the MNEM LP, which might not be reflected in "price" right?

This is something I wish more, that despite it is possible to measure things in money as currency, but if one decides that currency is.. spirit? One may get, and give something that maybe should not be measured by hours that was spent, but measured by permanent footprint made to industrial culture?

Mnem was nice, when it was so crude. Just about decay and demolition. Sort of (unconscious) comment on "mint"? Everything damaged, recycled and even inner sleeve unusually rough paper one almost fears to move vinyl inside it!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bruitiste

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on August 22, 2020, 12:35:05 PM

This. Should be more though, would like to see more home made packaging for LPs, but I guess it would be reflected in the price.
Caroliner used to throw all sorts of unique junk into their LP boxes, I have a couple of those... "Cooking Stove Beast" and another.  Not so much special as odd and random, but certainly made them stand out.

As for the aforementioned Panicsville/Evil Moisture release, I'd have to pull it out to check but it does have a weird number for the RPM marking (26 RPM?) — I just assumed that was silliness or a joke though, I got the digital version too and it sounded the same as spinning it at 33 1/3.  Love the whole package and that certainly was long-awaited, and I remember at one time the working title was "Pink Clouds" or something.

MyrtleLake

A release worthy of note is "Forest Ritual" (Nil by Mouth) by Instinct Primal and Purba. There is a companion release, "Sky Burial" (BeTon) also with unique, handmade packaging. Both releases are from 2018.

"Forest Ritual" comes tied in wire twine with cheesecloth covering the cassette and inserts. The cheesecloth looks worn and far from mass manufactured cleanliness. It has the rough-cut edges, dirt and threadbare element of having "been there." Inside are printed image cards / booklet on rough-hewn paper. Dirt and a bit of grass complete the package.

"Sky Burial" is more slick and cleanly arranged. It is also a CD. Carefully knitted ribbon meticulously wraps a small, cast vulture's skull as for a necklace. The imagery is professionally printed. Everything is enclosed in a cloth bag that, in opposition to the cheesecloth of its cousin, is undeniably manufactured.

The sounds agree with their divergent packaging. My personal aesthetic is biased toward the former release's roughness. Both recordings are equally stunning in entirely different methods while holding the same core elements of voice, field ambience and minimal percussion.

"Forest Ritual" stands out for having an aura of personal, place-specific je ne sais quoi which imbues the recording with more than it would have alone. "Sky Burial" is more documentary and rational—literal in physical reference rather than tactile. Both, though, show the same care of thought and handmade effort and are worth highlighting.

pidgeons

Nil By Mouth just recently released a tape by swedish newcomer Lust Fist "Kropper uten mellemrom". Packaged in camouflage and steel wire, found it to be a sweet and fitting packaging. Not too over the top. Great tape too.

I picked up the Heretic Grail LP on Fusty Cunt, there is some other record and two tapeshells glued onto the cover and spraypainted on top of it. Not the most aesthetically pleasing but interesting concept nonetheless. Takes up alot of space in the recordshelf heh.

Hatefukk

One of the more recent Interracial Sex vinyls (Apefrica) had some great packaging.  Hand painted board along with a gorilla mask.  Amazing album to boot.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Hatefukk on August 26, 2020, 12:14:43 AM

One of the more recent Interracial Sex vinyls (Apefrica) had some great packaging.  Hand painted board along with a gorilla mask.  Amazing album to boot.

There was a special test press version of this as well, right?

This reminds me a lot of the Asrar test press lps - art/text put together by hand, and dedicated to the owner.