Drum Machine for death industrial/Power electronics?

Started by latexcity, July 15, 2020, 08:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

latexcity

Quote from: Atrophist on July 22, 2020, 09:54:31 PM
Quote from: latexcity on July 22, 2020, 09:42:02 PM
Quote from: Atrophist on July 16, 2020, 05:00:40 AM
Which synths and pedals are you working with now, and what's your budget? Will you klock your synths with the drum machine, or the other way around? Will you use midi or cv to do that?

I currently have a Korg MS-10, Arturia Microbrute and Doepfer Dark Energy MK1, my budget is probably up to £400. I plan to create a thick industrial drum/beat with the drum machine so I guess I would be clocking the synths to it.

I use exclusively CV for now as I'm yet to experiment with midi, but I plan to buy a midi keyboard for the dark energy further down the line.

Okay, in that case I would recommend the DFAM (EDIT: ok it seems you've dismissed this option). A bit over your budget but perhaps you can get a good deal on a second hand one? A second hand Digitakt might also be worth considering — different machine but both are really good.

But really — and I'm being "that guy" here too — since you'll drown it in distortion and feedback anyway it ultimately matters little what you use. If you can afford to get an instrument that is genuinely good, then by sll means go for it, but some 80's digital Yamaha that you can pick off ebay for fifty quid, squeezed through pedals, would do just fine as well.  In fact you could create some pretty killer PE tracks just with what you already have.

I would be comfortable spending that kind of money usually but I'm currently saving up for decent reverb and distortion pedals since alongside my solo Death Industrial and PE inspired stuff I'm also playing in an ambient/drone duo with a guitarist.

I think you are right, a cheap old machine off eBay is best for now and I can upgrade at a later date as and when it's needed.

I have been using drum plugins on logic currently but it's much less authentic and much harder to make them get weird and harsh.

host body

definitely look into what the digitakt is capable of. with your gear, it could be the brain of the setup. control everything with midi, use the awesome elektron sequencer for all of your synths and drum machine so you only need to program one machine instead of multiple. you can also "play" your desktop synth with the digitakt because it has a chromatic mode, it's rudimentary but more than enough for simple basslines, leads or pads.

you could sample any of your synths into the digitakt very easily, there's 8 channels for samples so basically you could have your synth do something else while a basic sampled bass pattern comes from the digitakt. you can make a drum sound kit with your MS10, sample the sounds to your digitakt and then you have no need for a drum machine. or buy any classic drum machine sound bank for that matter (i recently bought a really cool drum sound kit made with a dod death metal for example).

you can also use it as a 2i2 sound card! or a VST inside your DAW of choice.

add a digitakt and a DFAM and man, just those two are enough for a whole career of industrial music.

dreadfulmirror

I'm also recently looking for my first drum machine and came across Korg Volca Beats & Kick.
Both should be useful for Industrial Techno as well as Death Industrial & Power Electronics.

Could maybe someone give any advice, which of the machines is "better" to start with, respectively which benefits they may have?
As a beginner I'm quite unsure which one would better serve this purpose...

Soloman Tump

Quote from: dreadfulmirror on July 26, 2020, 03:46:43 PM
I'm also recently looking for my first drum machine and came across Korg Volca Beats & Kick.
Both should be useful for Industrial Techno as well as Death Industrial & Power Electronics.

Could maybe someone give any advice, which of the machines is "better" to start with, respectively which benefits they may have?

I had a volca kick, I loved it. Its main limitation is only having the one voice, but it is very good at kicks. You can chain 16 patterns of 16 beats in "song" mode and alter the MS-20 filter settings as you go.

The only reason I sold it was I needed some quick cash, and subsequently have purchased the volca drum to replace it.I would get another kick for sure.

Atrophist

Added this on a whim to my Neutron order. Absolutely the most primitive bass and drum sounds imaginable. You will need a looper or something though, since you can only program "approximately" two bars on it. I've tried sampling this on a Kaoss Pad with so far promising results.

Atrophist

Quote from: dreadfulmirror on July 26, 2020, 03:46:43 PM

Check out the Volca Drum instead. I've no experience of it myself, but it's apparently the most versatile of the lot. Beats is pretty much useless for PE imo, and of course the Kick will only do bass drums and sime resonant squeals.

dreadfulmirror

Meanwhile I got the Akai Rhythm Wolf for a good price, and it sounds very promising so far.
But thank you for your help anyway!

host body

Quote from: dreadfulmirror on August 27, 2020, 11:52:12 AM
Meanwhile I got the Akai Rhythm Wolf for a good price, and it sounds very promising so far.
But thank you for your help anyway!

rhythm wolf would be the worst drum machine i have ever used. kinda proves how non gear dependent industrial or noise is, hah

PedestrianOrgans

I mean I'd second the Moog DFAM, although that's probably gonna run about €400/$500.

A lot of these less-expensive options would work just fine for ya.

Lysergikon137

I have been using an Akai MPX8, probably the cheapest possible sampler available, and it works just fine. I haven't even bothered to load new samples into it, I just put all the stock samples I like into one kit and run it through a fuzz pedal and reverb. I'm assuming they're stock because anything from the previous owner had to have been stored on an SD card that he didn't include. It only ran me around $60 off Reverb.com, and the 909 kick sound, gunshot sample, rimshot, and assorted cymbals sound so apocalyptic I have no reason to spend any money on anything else. If I really get bored with these sounds I can easily find different samples. Granted there is no sequencing ability on this sampler, so I run it through a looper with my synth etc. I use drum sounds pretty sparingly, so spending money on an actual drum machine to ONLY use on death industrial seemed pointless. I get so distracted by tone tweaking that I hardly record so adding another full on computerized gizmo to the mix seemed like it would do more harm than good. Easier to just be stuck with shitty drum sounds and no sequencing and just focus on atmosphere. Don't really like highly technical death industrial anyways.
look behind the golden sun... face to face with the black sun...
https://njanssen.bandcamp.com/

host body

Quote from: Lysergikon137 on September 01, 2020, 10:01:26 PM
I have been using an Akai MPX8, probably the cheapest possible sampler available, and it works just fine. I haven't even bothered to load new samples into it, I just put all the stock samples I like into one kit and run it through a fuzz pedal and reverb. I'm assuming they're stock because anything from the previous owner had to have been stored on an SD card that he didn't include. It only ran me around $60 off Reverb.com, and the 909 kick sound, gunshot sample, rimshot, and assorted cymbals sound so apocalyptic I have no reason to spend any money on anything else. If I really get bored with these sounds I can easily find different samples. Granted there is no sequencing ability on this sampler, so I run it through a looper with my synth etc. I use drum sounds pretty sparingly, so spending money on an actual drum machine to ONLY use on death industrial seemed pointless. I get so distracted by tone tweaking that I hardly record so adding another full on computerized gizmo to the mix seemed like it would do more harm than good. Easier to just be stuck with shitty drum sounds and no sequencing and just focus on atmosphere. Don't really like highly technical death industrial anyways.

hah, i had one of these for two days. in crashed when i tried to import a sample that was over 10 seconds (officially the limit for a kit is 30 seconds, so you'd think three 10 second samples would work? nope!). i returned it to the store.

Lysergikon137

Quote from: host body on September 02, 2020, 05:55:22 PM

hah, i had one of these for two days. in crashed when i tried to import a sample that was over 10 seconds (officially the limit for a kit is 30 seconds, so you'd think three 10 second samples would work? nope!). i returned it to the store.

Not surprising, I have yet to use the apparently archaic "kit editing" software that Akai provides. I have just been using it for one-shot percussive hits or running the same hits looped for ratchet-y sounding mechanical drones. I can't imagine this thing would be much use for someone using a sampler for anything longer, but it works great as a janky drum source for decrepit death stuff.

host body

Quote from: Lysergikon137 on September 03, 2020, 05:29:11 PM
Quote from: host body on September 02, 2020, 05:55:22 PM

Not surprising, I have yet to use the apparently archaic "kit editing" software that Akai provides. I have just been using it for one-shot percussive hits or running the same hits looped for ratchet-y sounding mechanical drones. I can't imagine this thing would be much use for someone using a sampler for anything longer, but it works great as a janky drum source for decrepit death stuff.

yeah for sure, if i had been just after a simple sampler for playing back a kit, it would have sufficed really well. i wanted to be abled to sample and loop longer stuff as well, and eventually got an octatrack, hah.

Lysergikon137

Yeah sounds like you needed the opposite end of the sampling spectrum ha. Funny that I should mention that its only good as a janky piece for decrepit music, because I finally decided to install the software and start loading up samples and it was a complete failure due to everything you just mentioned. Downloaded the Kit Editor and File Convertor and two sample libraries from the same webpage that Akai made FOR this sampler. Loaded the samples onto the SD card and decided to make a kit on the sampler itself... only to get the message that the samples I got from Akai are in the wrong format (despite being .wavs with an average length of 2s). Went to install the File Convertor... doesn't run on my current MacOS...

So yeah, this thing doesn't seem to be good for much of anything, but I don't mind. I'm not trying to do anything with it beyond Mörder Machine-inspired thumping. Less tech, more atmosphere, keep it old school for death industrial imo. Honestly not mad about the price I paid for it, getting anything more complex would just be distracting.

latexcity

This sounds amazing! I have actually inherited a Roland SP-404SX recently so I've just been using that for drums and beats among other things and it's slowly become one of my most important pieces of gear and seems to be good enough for the music I am currently making.

I am potentially considering making IDM and Techno further down the line but I can cross that bridge when I get it to.