New Chondritic Sound: Bacillus CD, Failing Lights CD, Kjostad CD, Kashaiof Cass

Started by New Forces, July 04, 2020, 12:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Forces

In addition to the new The Cherry Point 3" CD (found in the thread below this one), there are several new releases available now from Chondritic sound.

Webstore: http://store.chondriticsound.com/
Bandcamp: https://chondriticsound.bandcamp.com/

Failing Lights "Spirit Obscured" CD [CH-355]
Mike Connelly, over the last 20 years, has proven himself to be an enduring figure on the darker side of underground music. As a founding member of Hair Police, he was the front-person for one of the early 2000's noise scene's most exciting and beloved groups. Currently a member of Clay Rendering and co-host of the scholarly Noisextra podcast, he records blackened California dream pop for Hospital Productions and helps excavate/explore the deepest reaches of the 20th Century noise underground for discerning listeners. As a member of the community and a collaborative artist, Connelly's accomplishments are many. But at the core of his creative pursuits is his solo project, Failing Lights, a glowing red ember of tonality and late-night ambience. After an 8-year recorded hiatus, Failing Lights returns to disc with Spirit Obscured for the Chondritic Sound label, a haunted suite of electronics as nostalgia for a moment that never existed.

Recorded with no time constraints, Failing Lights brings a deeper focus and a more stripped down approach to create a tense but hypnotic collection of instrumentals. "I took my time on 'Spirit Obscured,' said Connelly. The album morphed and developed over the course of a year. The main issue was stripping layers away to get to the essence. Sometimes you keep adding when that first idea was the right way to go. It's easy to get lost, when really the answer is there from the beginning. It's pretty bare, which is a new path for me and one I will continue on." And while Connelly succeeds at narrowing his approach in playing, his scope in atmosphere is wider. Spirit Obscured is a rich mélange of dark ambience, dungeon synth and noise that recalls disparate acts from Dead Can Dance, Lycia, Lull. Yet, in other spaces he shades in elements along the lines of Mortiis, adding a distinctly different element to music. These influences combine to create a feel that is unique, yet rewardingly familiar to fans of various strains of midnight music and bat cave soundtracks. Created in isolation for uneasy refection, Spirit Obscured is a high point in the artists various recorded catalog. "Failing Lights will continue in this vein," adds Connelly. "While I would like to play live, I really am enjoying the isolation work. Failing Lights is probably best experienced at home, alone or close to it. The album should set the atmosphere and let the listener do the rest. Don't fill in the blanks. Let the blanks be the focus." -- Steve Lowenthal

200 copies, 6-panel digipak CD.
25 copies available in 7x7" box with exclusive two song lathe-cut record.
Lathe cut edition will cost extra postage overseas and ships in 2 weeks.

Bacillus "I Hope You Get Better Soon But You Probably Won't" CD [CH-352]
Another re-emergence on Chondritic Sound, 17 years after we initially worked together. And what could be more fitting times for the first CD outbreak by Bacillus, a suprisingly resilient strain of noise which has been around since 1993. It is noise on this disc, in the truest sense: made from glue records, found and degraded tapes, destroyed mixer and broken electronics. Whatever is in its radius helps spread the infection though stereosonic harsh noise with jumps, cuts, blasted passages and a truly unique dynamic.

Through the lens of hiss and rot, Bacillus foretells of a time when antibiotics stop working, when the swelling won't stop, when common infections become fatal again. I hope you get better soon, but you probably won't.

Direct purchasers of this CD from Chondritic Sound will be contacted in the future regarding a supplemental cassette in special packaging, audio dating back to 2003 and recently discovered.

Mastered by Grant Richardson.
Edition of 200 copies in 6-panel digipak, design by Bacillus.

Kjostad "Extinctionist" CD [CH-351]
Stefan Aune has been known in noise circles for some time now, for his work as New Forces (both label and magazine), solo as Breaking the Will, and comprising half of duos Form Hunter and Action/Discipline. Kjostad has existed alongside those projects since 2014, an outlet for egregious mutations of site-specific source sounds and electronic tones. Extinctionist is the first full-length compact disc for Kjostad, following the CD reissues of cassettes Glacial Lake and Environment Electronics.

The sounds of a serene but cold day lakeside meld with crude electronics, while smoldering forest fire ambiance and scrap metal aggression are fed into the same woodchipper. Searing, breaking, buzzing noise escapes in methodical fashion, only to be reigned back in at just the right moment.

300 copies, 6-panel digipak.
Mastered by Grant Richardson.

Kashaiof "Home" C30 [CH-342]
Kashaiof is comprised of Eyal Bitton & Itzik Avizohar, both central mainstays in Jerusalem's electronic underground music scene.

As members of the cultural powerhouse 'Studio Straus' the two are no strangers to extremities. Named after an archaic local electronic components store, the name 'Kashaiof' (כשיוף) is also a phonetic echo of the Hebrew word 'Kishoof' (כישוף) meaning 'spell', a practice the enigmatic duo take to heart and mind as they conjure up technology, magick, nostalgia and primordial/futuristic sonics into their slew of plasmic artillery.

In 'Home', Kashaiof present their debut, a true isolationist audible nightmare. The album, with 5 titles conceptualised over mundane, everyday objects; depicts a barren scene at first; seemingly devoid of distancing altercations, akin to the danish film movement 'Dogma' - it shares a similar starkness, an aridity that broods deep inside a transgressive infrastructure, working it's way earnestly towards the upcoming melodrama at hand.

Stirring things up with 'A Vase', the opener is a bewildering affair - hellish pitched-down vocals bare an ominous narrative which accompanied with a faintly piercing drone lay down an almost baroque-like pulse that in turn welcomes a lush, cinematic lament into it's milieu of troublesome angularity.

'A Sofa' acts almost as a palette cleanser for it's first minute, with it's patient and spacious revolt against the stifling opener, just up until the dirge-like bass guitar and reverberating piano introduce us to a malevolent plethora of paranoia and decay, amplifying the physical/humane distress even further until 'A Closet' creeps up to finish the job - cascades of metallic shards that bring to mind the dance of bloody blades, an almost crystalline presence of calming implosion, a rebirth...

'A Chair' is a rude awakening, a realisation that we have emerged beyond our earthly boundaries, an electro-acoustic attempt to restrict our gleeful descent into oblivion, where we are met with 'A Sink', the culmination of the ritual, the resurrection of one's self amidst all we've lost and are doomed to lose again, and again.

This is Power Romantics! Hear it bleed!

(Text written by Alex Jonovic Drool)
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Soloman Tump

Purchased the Kjostad and Liebestod albums.

Its a shame the postal rates are so high now

WCN

Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Hatefukk

Grabbed the Bacillus cd. Great album with a really well done layout and quality packaging. Shipped quick and got to me in a timely manner. Not my first purchase from Chondritic and with the overall high quality it surely wont be my last. As far as the album itself if you are a fan of Bacillus you already know what to expect and you certainly wont be disappointed with this one.