Exploring Harsh Noise Wall

Started by Japsi, June 22, 2020, 04:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Japsi

Evenin'

Having gotten properly back into noise again, I've spent the last few weeks experimenting, recording and exploring new techniques.

Understand David is my new, good old fashioned noise project.

I'm not limiting it to HNW, this is just a selection of tracks, curated from one particular experiment that I felt merited a release.

I'd be interested to hear any feedback from fans of the style. I enjoyed the process of recording this, but it's definitely something that there's a time and a place for.

https://understanddavid.bandcamp.com/album/meditation-wall

I'm open to collabs, splits, etc so drop me a message if you want to discuss.

Cheers!

JLIAT

From Vomir...

NO ACT
NO POINT
NO RESULT
NO REMORSE
NO STRATEGY
NO COMPROMISE
NO DEVELOPMENT
NO RHYTHMIC JOY
NO EMO FEEDBACK
NO VISCERAL DRAMA
NO PC AESTHETICS
NO CLEAN ACOUSTICS
NO SOCIAL CONCERN
NO GENITALS POWER
NO PERSONAL INTERACTION

NO ENTERTAINMENT

MONOLITHIC FRONTAL SOUND
HARSH NOISE WALL

Proclamation of the Bruitist Wall 

The individual no longer has an alternative but to completely refuse the promoted and preached contemporary life.
The only still free behavior is the noise and withdrawal, to never surrender to handling, socialization, and entertainment. The Bruitist Wall does not promise to repeatedly provide a direction and values with the lived existence. 
The opaque, dull and continuous noise allows a total phenomenologic reduction, a means against the existential interpenetration : disengaged in the pure and unaltered bestial appeasing. 
The Bruitist Wall is pro outsider, the voluntary outsider. 
It calls in question the institution of any relation, all that destroys occurs. 
The Bruitist Wall is a social challenge. 
He challenges any concept of group, community, organization and admits the alternative of postmodern cloistering withdrawal from society. The refusal in the fold because any act even considered futurist, dada, situ or anarchist/straight edge is vain. 
The actionism of disrepair cannot face the dilapidation, with factitious recovery, the prostitution of our derivative civilization. To observe contemptible outside should be only one last recall of the human nonsense before the épochè protestor. 
Any thing and any being become without significance. 
The Bruitist Wall is the loss of conscience of time to live in void and to let themselves run in the moment. 
The Bruitist Wall is the physical loss of conscience. 
The Bruitist Wall is the uninterrupted practice of the mental noise. 
The Bruitist Wall is the militant purity in the not-representation. 
Vigilant of the last sudden starts, let us adopt a new posture in withdrawal – neither tender, neither escape, nor bending - in order to be able to affirm "I never was there" in the desert created by the obliteration of our environment. 
To lose any hope is freedom. 
In the insulation of the Bruitist Wall, cellular nothing, to become its shade - impassive murderer of oneself - and thus to become shade of the man, unknowable, impersonal. 
In the Bruitist Wall, to worsen its being, to be held unaware of and ignorant of all ; withdrawal requires the development of a pure indetermination which is forged in the lapse of memory of the emotional and intellectual constraining elements. 
The Bruitist Wall, darkness of a spiritual martyrdom, is the union between the being and nothing, a lullaby without end. 
The Bruitist Wall spreads its occult virtues, by hummings and the buzzes of its hermetic formulas, it disaggregates and calls with irrevocable disintegration.

Direction du Mur Bruitiste: Ordre Abîmiste
(2006)

Japsi

Thanks for those quotes, I wasn't aware of the philosophical angle on HNW, but it makes perfect sense to this mind.

I'd mentioned in the liner notes that my 'method' of choosing a signal involved meditative absorption, but I didn't think to discuss it further. What I did as part of the 'composition' seems to align with the "Proclamation...", and the last third of it in particular. In fact, I would go so far as to say that HNW provides an interesting auditory representation of the 8th jhana: neither perception nor non-perception.

Experientially, the words of the "Proclamation..." ring true; HNW, in listening or production, doesn't involve entertainment. My enjoyment in the process comes from that active disengagement.

For something as seemingly simple as HNW, there's another world involved and one that I suspect many noise artists have merely glimpsed. Used as a meditative device, harsh noise can reveal much about the way our bodies receive and subsequently process sounds. That in itself can reveal much about the fundamental nature of this 'thing' we call reality.

CannibalRitual

Fuck the philosophical angle on HNW.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: CannibalRitual on July 04, 2020, 12:52:24 AM

Doesn't it need a theme/background idea to some extent?

W.K.

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on July 04, 2020, 02:59:07 AM

But this pretentious?

He's probably laughing at us right now for taking it serious.
Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

JLIAT

Quote from: W.K. on July 04, 2020, 10:27:44 AM

But this pretentious?

Well Romain Perrot collaborates with Paul Hegarty (author of Noise / Music & Chair in French Studies, Faculty of Arts Nottingham University). Ray Brassier (philosopher) also was associated with Noise e.g. Mattin on some noise projects. And Masami Akita and  Sam McKinlay both were influenced by Fine Art. It was I think this academic interest in Noise which singled it out from other genres. And you can trace the crossover between Art / Music / Philosophy in noise back to the Futurists, via Fluxus – with which the likes of GPO and LaMonte Young, Yoko Ono were involved. And further back  Art/Music via Nietzsche...Schopenhauer Shelling... Kant...

Of course you don't have to do this, but Art, Music, et al doesn't just pop into existence. And sure maybe at times the philosophizing goes over the top, but the other extreme also has a downside.

(When asked if Sir Thomas Beetcham had heard any Stockhausen – he replied 'No, but i've trod in some')

So you can fuck the philosophical angle, which is what? Being reasonable...

"We gain access to the structure of reality via a machinery of conception which extracts intelligible indices from a world that is not designed to be intelligible and is not originarily infused with meaning."
Ray Brassier, "Concepts and Objects" In The Speculative Turn

Which IMO gives noise the edge re dealing with reality.

Edit: Maybe this should be moved to GENERAL SOUND DISCUSSION?

Balor/SS1535

But this pretentious?

I don't think it has to be pretentious, though I can see it easily becoming so.  Noise walls just seem much less interesting to me if I don't have something to think about (or look at for that matter) while listening to it.

JLIAT

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on July 04, 2020, 06:20:20 PM

But this pretentious?

I don't think it has to be pretentious, though I can see it easily becoming so.  Noise walls just seem much less interesting to me if I don't have something to think about (or look at for that matter) while listening to it.

Except in the case of a Vomir performance you would most likely have a black plastic bag over your head...   ;-)

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: JLIAT on July 04, 2020, 06:53:34 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on July 04, 2020, 06:20:20 PM

But this pretentious?

Except in the case of a Vomir performance you would most likely have a black plastic bag over your head...   ;-)

It would still add some interest, I think!

CannibalRitual

Everyone can choose as they wish. But just putting Vomir's quotes up there as 'rules' is lame.

JLIAT

Quote from: CannibalRitual on July 05, 2020, 09:20:08 AM

Everyone can choose as they wish. But just putting Vomir's quotes up there as 'rules' is lame.

Who said they were rules? Vomir makes a similar point as to how others can regard his work, anyway they wish. 

"Everyone can choose as they wish."  Sounds like a rule to me.  Like 'All all things are permissible'...  ideas have a pedigree...
morals a genealogy. Of course everyone is free (maybe) to think and do as they wish, drink coke, wear levi jeans... carry arms...

Sure "Man Is Condemned to be Free" or condemned to think what others first thought?

CannibalRitual

So much blabbering. Just make some actually noise instead. Or call a hooker.

JLIAT

Quote from: CannibalRitual on July 05, 2020, 12:54:09 PM
So much blabbering. Just make some actually noise instead. Or call a hooker.

Playlists on Sound Cloud with free downloads...

https://soundcloud.com/jliat/sets

200 + works from late 2019 to present.

Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/user/jliat

100 from the same... all around 17 minutes...

Presently working on next series of 50, 32 so far from beginning of June.

(not HNW just HN)

"Or call a hooker. " I don't know any rugby players...

CannibalRitual

Those online diaries is exactly part of what killed any interest in contemporary HNW for me. I didn't record so much material over the span of my whole 'career'. How about putting in some effort or quality control?