Warning: Contains "Beat Shit"...

Started by Japsi, June 16, 2020, 12:31:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: sadneck on June 18, 2020, 10:53:35 AM
I know a lot of people dislike beats etc in noise - why is that?

Not to derail the thread (he says, derailing the thread), but it could simply be that they've yet to be persuaded by what they've heard. Giving these dislikers the benefit of the doubt it could then be up to the likers to present something more persuasive. edit Few I think would not at the very least appreciate the enthusiasm expressed in the OP (and that of others contributing herein).
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Japsi

Derail away, my friend!

I'm just listening to "Eyelash Fountain" as I'm writing this and it's really well put together. Everything has its own space in the mix, and those little chopped up paradiddles sound beefy as fuck while avoiding that horrible 'boxy' sound in the lower mids. I know production values aren't often a big deal in noise, but there's a 'sheen' to your work here that I really like. It's got that Dadaist vibe, but presented in a more, for want of a better word, futuristic or modern way; modern musique concrete, with humour. Hahahaha!   

I've had a read through the beat-related thread that was linked earlier, but there, unsurprisingly, doesn't seem to be any consensus on the subject. It does seem like some people enjoy the martial beat sort of style or compound time/erratic beats, rather than metered 4/4 stuff which, given the context, makes sense to me. I had played around with 4/4, almost parodic gabber on a track years ago but, listening to it now, it's just predictable, dull and shows a beginner at work.

As for why people don't really seem to like the 4/4 beat, or at least a 'commercial' beat/break/loop in noise: I suspect it's largely rooted in our love of the irregular and transgressive.

To me, it's something that needs to be done right or not done at all. Having the amen break, chopped up and replayed at 200bpm then fired through a fuzz pedal doesn't make for 'good' noise.

4/4 represents the beat of the factory floor; of pedestrian footsteps. Those of us fascinated by noise and experimental music seem to be drawn away from that, both in our music and lives. There's probably a whole deep philosophical discussion to be had, but the simple answer would be that "the beat" represents the musical conventions that we, as noise artists, seek to transcend.

Japsi

My most recent full-on noise track has a looped sample of noise from my computer, but I wouldn't call it a beat or a metered rhythm.

The repetition creates a rhythmic base of sorts, but nothing intentional.

https://soundcloud.com/understand-david/b-aim

It made me think about the role intent plays in using a beat or rhythm in noise, which gives a whole other dimension to the discussion. 

Soloman Tump

Will check out your work. I am a big fan of repetition generally, permeated with chaos, of course.

Probably written all this elsewhere on this forum already, but Alberich was a strong gateway for me into the noise world. A good stepping stone from my techno head.

sadneck

Quote from: Japsi on June 18, 2020, 05:12:28 PM

I'm just listening to "Eyelash Fountain" as I'm writing this and it's really well put together. Everything has its own space in the mix, and those little chopped up paradiddles sound beefy as fuck while avoiding that horrible 'boxy' sound in the lower mids. I know production values aren't often a big deal in noise, but there's a 'sheen' to your work here that I really like. It's got that Dadaist vibe, but presented in a more, for want of a better word, futuristic or modern way; modern musique concrete, with humour. Hahahaha!   

Thanks, I appreciate that.

I get what you're saying about 4/4 beats, but I think the appeal (to me at least) is exactly because it's kind of 'work-man' like and represents a heart beat or factory floor feel. I get that can be off putting for some, but I think to totally disregard some noise just because it has a 'beat' to it is kinda dumb, but each to their own I suppose.

Japsi

QuoteI get what you're saying about 4/4 beats, but I think the appeal (to me at least) is exactly because it's kind of 'work-man' like and represents a heart beat or factory floor feel. I get that can be off putting for some, but I think to totally disregard some noise just because it has a 'beat' to it is kinda dumb, but each to their own I suppose.

I agree, it's shortsighted to just dismiss noise because it's got some form of 'conventional' beat. The whole industrial sound was all about those factory floor beats; replicating the sounds of the machine-like heartbeats and screeching cacophony of metal on metal.

I enjoy using beats, and even 4/4, but I prefer to avoid going down the route of using an 808 kick and then slamming it through saturation. I think that's where I draw a distinction when it comes to beats and noise: Beats are great, rhythm is great but...just taking techno or even IDM and distorting it seems lazy to me.

Your stuff makes great use of rhythmic elements in an unconventional way. It's not 'on grid' or locked into a groove, but it's got that implied grind that pulls the piece forward.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Japsi on June 18, 2020, 05:39:55 PMThe repetition creates a rhythmic base of sorts, but nothing intentional.

For mine, I'm not sure I'd even call that "rhythmic". The stuttering of the lower track is more arbitrary. Definitely reminds me of a home printer refusing to work, which is the usual experience of anyone who's had a home printer.

Four/four beats can work in Noise and Industrial well enough. One of my current favourite PE anthems is Thorofon's "Riot Dictator". In fact, there's one or two rhythmic gems on that whole "Final Movement" album.

https://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/final-movement
Shikata ga nai.

Japsi

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on June 19, 2020, 03:00:00 PM
Quote from: Japsi on June 18, 2020, 05:39:55 PMThe repetition creates a rhythmic base of sorts, but nothing intentional.

For mine, I'm not sure I'd even call that "rhythmic". The stuttering of the lower track is more arbitrary. Definitely reminds me of a home printer refusing to work, which is the usual experience of anyone who's had a home printer.

Four/four beats can work in Noise and Industrial well enough. One of my current favourite PE anthems is Thorofon's "Riot Dictator". In fact, there's one or two rhythmic gems on that whole "Final Movement" album.

https://ant-zen.bandcamp.com/album/final-movement

That's a fair point, it really doesn't have anything like a pattern to it and I use the word "rhythmic" very loosely. It was a sample of my PC, recorded on a Sanyo Talkbook and then chopped and looped to form the foundation.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check that out today!

Soloman Tump

Thanks for the Stromstad recommendations, been blasting out New Devoted Human today and it is very impressive.

Japsi

Quote from: Soloman Tump on June 21, 2020, 02:23:10 PM
Thanks for the Stromstad recommendations, been blasting out New Devoted Human today and it is very impressive.

Definitely a solid recommendation. I'd never have heard of them, or IFOTS if it wasn't for this forum, but both have become firm favourites and inspired me greatly.

When I heard those, I just thought "fuck it, these guys have already done it"...hahaha!

W.K.

Straight murkin' riddim blud, absolute vile gash

Soloman Tump

Anyone here familiar with Bad Tracking from Bristol?

The new EP is pretty great
https://badtrackinguk.bandcamp.com/album/killing-order-ep

Blown-out distortion, gutteral vocals and harshness.  Also recommend the Widower EP from last year.