Noise May-Day at Namba Bears

Started by accidental, June 15, 2020, 01:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

accidental

I heard it got cancelled this year. The other day i started thinking about the history and orgin of this yearly event. Does anyone know?  Or where can i read about it?

I have every lineup since 2002, and the earliest event im aware of is 1998 (according to a Thirdorgan vid of that show). Masonna has played every bill since at least 2002. Jojo and Solmania a majority of them. Early to mid 00's saw this as a two day fest. But for the last 13 years it's a one day fest. Often the last saturday of may. 2017 saw the "Masonna & Bears 30th anniversary".

When did Noise Mat-Day start? And how did it come about?
Who started it? Is Masonna now in charge of it (together with Yamamoto?)?
Anyone know the line up for the early years?
Has anyone attended this or have any stories to share? Send PM if you dont want to write about it publicly. Personally i think it's abit sad that it has'nt been used to promote new names more. But i respect the May-Day and im interested in the fact that this has been going on for so long.

ConcreteMascara

I went to Noise May-Day in 2009 when I was living in Japan. I think the line-up was Crossbred, BusRatch Solmania, Jojo, and Masonna. But correct me if I'm wrong as I think I lost the flyer long ago.

I remember Crossbreed being relatively chill synth stuff and a strangely unexciting way to start the night. I might enjoy it more now but at the time it seemed uninteresting.

BusRatch were fucking awesome! Total turntable and record destruction at least 10 if not closer to 20 records were utterly destroyed, flung into the crowd, pieces scattered. I have pieces of some of those records. The sound was extremely jagged, damaged and ripping. I've never seen anything like that again.

This next part is from a thread I started a while back about best lives shows:

Solmania & Jojo Hiroshige @ Noise May Day 2009, Osaka, 5-09 - now I can't remember if JoJo Hiroshige played with Solmania or after... I think it was after, but I was in a very frenzied and drunken state. What I remember is an endless wall of brain melting noise from Solmania, so completely crushing and massive I could barely move and then at some point Jojo came out into the crowd swinging a cinderblock around and then the next thing I knew I was holding on to the other end spinning in a circle with him until we threw it into a wall. it was fucking nuts. I still have a piece of that cinderblock too. and I think this was all before Masonna closed the night out with a 45 second set. But Solmania's performance made me fall in love with them forever and Jojo's reckless disregard for human safety crowned him "noise king" in my mind.

And to give a little more detail on Masonna's set. I was in the dead-center front when he came out and he immediately kicked a mic stand directly into my nuts so I spent the set hunched over in excruciating pain. he jumped and flipped all around the stage with his shaker while delivering a rapid fire explosive barrage of noise. it was like a single segment of any of his mid '90s albums played at maximum volume with maximum force. awe inspiring and literally testicular bashing.

I remember this all more from telling the stories about it over and over than as actual memory because I was drinking a lot throughout, but I think it's fairly accurate. I think I was probably the only honky at the show or one of the only. I attempted to talk to a lot of people with varying levels of success and made one friend who I still talk to today, not including the friend I went with. That night is one of my fondest memories.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

accidental

I enjoyed reading that review! I think it was suppose to be Jojo with Busratch, Solmania solo, Crossbred with Takayama from Framtid. But i don't know if it turned out that way? Yes, Masonna was the only other act. Worth to mention that '09 was one month prior the 30CD Box.

Im not sure i would enjoy them so much today or even in 2009? But i'd be happy for them to prove me wrong. I saw Pain Jerk and Aube in 2007 (not at may-day), and that was not very exciting. Not to mention Pain Jerk in 2017. But i love the old works of all of them. Crossbred i've not heard except for a few seconds on youtube. Which probably didnt do them justice. They played Noise May-Day a handful of times.

ConcreteMascara did you hear anything about how many years they has been doing May-Day?

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: accidental on June 15, 2020, 03:00:53 PM
I enjoyed reading that review! I think it was suppose to be Jojo with Busratch, Solmania solo, Crossbred with Takayama from Framtid. But i don't know if it turned out that way?
Can't remember about the guy from Framtid, I just remember two Japanese women for Crossbred. JoJo with BusRatch? That's very probable because I think Solmania was just Solmania. So maybe BusRatch played for a while then Jojo joined? I think it could've been something like that but I really can't say.

Quote from: accidental on June 15, 2020, 03:00:53 PM
ConcreteMascara did you hear anything about how many years they has been doing May-Day?

I didn't hear anything about anything that I remember. My friend may have told me but he was primarily focused on getting laid and I was focused on getting drunk so....
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512