What Doepfer Dark Energy does puce Mary use?

Started by latexcity, June 07, 2020, 09:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

latexcity

I've seen her live multiple times and love the way she uses the dark energy in her live performances and would be keen to own one myself for similar purposes but obviously the MK1 AND MK2/MK3 are completely different beasts so I'd be keen to know which one she uses?

BlackSunAndSteel

Quote from: latexcity on June 07, 2020, 09:57:26 PM
I've seen her live multiple times and love the way she uses the dark energy in her live performances and would be keen to own one myself for similar purposes but obviously the MK1 AND MK2/MK3 are completely different beasts so I'd be keen to know which one she uses?
I will tell you which model she uses if you explain to me why you think MKI and MKII models are "completely different beasts"
Morality interests me little with this.

To say that its not real, well then my guy I don't know how to explain all that expensive modular gear I got these days.

I'd rather dominate then be moral in the shadows living by a code thats looking to be outdated.

totalblack

I mean there are differences between the mkI and mkII, mainly different filters and the mkII changed from triangle to saw wave. They are both strong semi-modular units so you should understand why you want one and how the differences between the models affect what you want to do with it, because buying a piece of equipment based on how someone else uses it is not a good indicator of what you will be able to do with it. I have an mkII and I like it fine but I'm not entirely happy with it. It can certainly be absolutely punishing on a proper PA once you wrap your head around using it.

Atrophist

Quote from: latexcity on June 07, 2020, 09:57:26 PM

Like already has been pointed out, it's not really a good idea to buy a piece of gear because someone else has used it in a way that you've enjoyed before. Because basically then you'd have to get all the rest of her equipment too.

I used to have the MK2, it was okay. If I heard one now and was told to distinguish whether it's the 1 or the 2, I doubt that I could do it. 

If you get a satisfactory answer to your question, by all means get one — there's nothing wrong with drawing inspiration from more senior artists. But it most likely will not make you sound her. Also the Dark Energy (at least by itself) is pretty much a one trick pony.

host body

Remembered this topic just now, I recently read this article outlining the differences between Dark Energy models. Seems like mk. 2 is maybe the least desirable due to taking up to 30 minutes to warm up enough for the oscillators to stay in tune. As for what model Puce Mary uses, no idea!

https://greatsynthesizers.com/en/review/doepfer-dark-energy-i-and-dark-energy-ii-forbidding-powers/