"NON-COLLECTIBLES" - the good ones

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, June 05, 2020, 08:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I was forwarded news about quite old habit, but constantly trending one, within USA comic book scene. It was about professional graders, who would look at your comic books, give them official grading and pack them into heavy transparent plastic box and seal it. Never to be opened again. People would trade and make business with these sealed boxes, but nobody would actually read those comics ever again. They would merely sit in stiff boxes like all those unopened toys sitting on shelves of sad sad "mancaves", you should probably really call "boy cages"?

Anyways pulled from Playlist:

QuoteTalking of "collectibles", there is this thing, that some release in noise have "reputation". items that seemingly everybody want. Items that may have been listet in classic mailorder catalogues.. Nowadays hunted desperately. But entirely different category of noise is this... "DIY noise". Barely was available in distros. Or sold for bargain prices. Tapes often traded by artist to other artist. This meant that you needed to be in touch to get it, or care enough to discover yourself, since there was no praise in any 'zines...
Hermit for example. Style varies greatly. Some stuff is just imprv, some pretty harsh, some kind of DIY industrial-noise. On flipside you got Armenia, Napalmed,... and stuff is kind of unique. It far from the shining aura of cult names (haha), but this hand made noisy dirt, has charm. Of course some classic noise album is phenomenal to listen to, but there is something *else*, something quite different in listening 2usd bargain bin singles nobody seems to care about. Out of these 4 Hermit 7"s, especially good here is the total no-tech harsh blast of Amenia and Hermit's anti-capitalist regurgitations on "bizarre rituals in honour of capitalist machine" 7". Or first few minute of Napalmed broken damage.

Note: This is not meaning that mentioning bands in this topic makes them somehow super inferior. It just means that I (or someone) perceives their nature different.

As example, I can not believe there would be anyone, who actually pays big bucks for SONIC DISORDER LP. There would be people ready to donate internal organs for getting missing Gerogerigegege tape, but they would not bother to listen best works of band that has 7" available for 1usd.

(It is observation. Thing that is becoming more visible in some other music genres. You got hardcore 7", and people pay thousands. You got pretty damn good hardcore 7" and nobody gives a fuck. 20 years ago in metal, gap between sales on UG band and bigger band started to be closer and closer. Big bands no longer sold hellish amounts and smaller bands were getting popular. Now we're like back in old situation. The names people appreciate, sell shitloads and notch smaller bands barely anything. Regardless of how good or shitty. )

Like I mentioned above, I think there is vastly different spirit in bands that are or became "collectibles". There could be high prices to begin with. Neat packaging. Interesting concepts. These days, even pretty clear "PR", so to say. Releases you can only buy. Perhaps even for a notch higher prices than most of stuff. And most would be ready to celebrate and appreciate this type of title, which is of course fully approved. Yet there is this other noise, which is different.
There may not be limited edition. Perhaps no neat packaging. Nothing utterly stylish. You didn't and don't find it from distributions. Most oftem sold to seemingly random buyer. Not to "devoted followers" who wait mailinglist updates and announcements.

I find myself often sort of elitist stand, seeing all that "bandcamp noise", "youtube noise" and not finding anything what would interest me about it. All those many facebook groups with hundreds of people posting links, and everything you check out with fairly open mind is sort of... sucky? There is something about the physical medium and willingness to participate on certain type of DIY, as opposed to kind of lazy uploads of seemingly whatever.

Chaotic rant I know, but lets sum it up. Categories always have crossover, but: Between the "collectibles", "cult objects to buy" and the neverending stream of noise waste, there is the other kind of noise scene. Where people trade stuff, sell cheap stuff, collaborate, (used to)maintain micro distro lists etc.  And there is good stuff among all that. Often you had to be involved to get things, as they didn't make it to "bigger" mailorders.

That would have slightly different spirit than releases that were really made to be sold, but eventually... there was no big enough interest compared to edition, hah. As drawing line is very hard, it could be better to just talk of "non-collectibles".
Was it 200 copies edition of Sonic Disorder ‎– Travelers' Companion Volume III LP (Les Disques Bruitistes)? After 20+ years you can grab it for 10 euro. Discogs and discount lists are/were often filled with brilliant titles you would not necessarily go look for, but if being exposed to, they would be good.

To return to opening theme of post. A lot of "collectibles" appear to serve other purposes than listening. Many would probably like to own things like Gerogerigegege "showa" LP, but... would you listen to it? After paying XXX amount, and then just filing it to shelves in plastic wrap? Perhaps. Instead, there would be things you casually pop into cd player, turntable and tape deck, like what you hear and actually USE it for purpose it was made to. In case of true DIY noise, there could be also little story and experience of doing it yourself, what lead to having the particular item.

Favorites? Recommendations of things?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Interesting would be to me: What are the important items, that seem to have no "value" in general, but are important to you and why.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

pentd

for some reason these jump in my head:

the works of tore honore bøe --now easy to find on bandcamp, this one is quite a ripper:
https://origamiboe.bandcamp.com/album/melting-snow-2

va -- l.a. noisescape CD
36 artist cross-cut from 2006, tons of variety

va -- syrens 10"
women in experimental music + noise, 200?something

those i have come across years ago without knowing anything before and totally surprised me, so they were very open experiences, and i still enjoy

more later...
oh, i definitely can't keep up with all the bandcamp/sc/yt "releases"...
then there's also the whole huge galaxy of eastern bloc noise..

Strangecross

Any 7" by The Haters should be played until they disintegrate.  A ton of them are available for cheap. When I lived in Colorado I would find them at Denver/Co Springs record stores that had no other harsh noise.
Related: VA Autoficial 7"

Happens a lot with 7"s:
Needles ‎– Sound Effect Of Excellent Dope 7"

alot of Mlehst stuff is not dirt cheap but not collector prices.

Balor/SS1535

This makes me think of some of the recent Troniks sales - 10 to 12 cds for $20.  I got one of them, and pretty much every cd can be found on discogs for less than $3.  They are packaged in slipcases, sometimes with a plastic cover.  The bargain was to good to pass up, even though I did not recognize many of the bands.

In the end, however, it was a great purchase.  Lots of good harsh noise from projects that do not seem to get much attention - Testicle Hazard, AMK, etc.

Nothing that was "collectible," as far as I could tell, but great noise.

impulse manslaughter

As opposed to some other genres I collect (kbd punk, hardcore) noise 7"s are mostly really cheap. Like the ones on Self Abuse which are all really good as far as I can remember.

Goat93

First Order - Near Death

I released it now 2 Times (CDR and CD) and its in my Opinion still awesome, thats why i released it in the First Place.

Shift - Have no Fury 7"
Blod 3 LP Box

got both cheap and are great

strangely everything from Diutesc or S.R.P  doesn't seem to be Cvlt, its great Stuff

Thor

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 05, 2020, 08:40:22 AM
Interesting would be to me: What are the important items, that seem to have no "value" in general, but are important to you and why.

I'm glad you made that second comment because I was kind of lost on you original post which was kind of all over the place although providing thought.
I'd be very interested to follow this topic for the sake of having bargain items brought to my attention alone.
Yet it seems that this might quickly turn into users talking about their recent freebies which usually carry little importance to the scene.
The reason for this negativity of mine (however unwaranted) is that you proposed two denominators. Importance and value, both of which are very subjective terms and would probably have to be defined more accurately in order to keep this discussion on topic.
But okay, lets hope that like-minded individuals are able to discuss on a common sense basis alone (although I'm sceptible about that).
I find it hard to contribute because although I find IRM's - Negrido... lp to be quite cheap compared to value I don't think that its what you are refering to. Similarly, while Freak Animal webstore usually sells lps from 20 euros onwards, Sick seed's Great Corrupter is still being sold for down to 10 euros on discogs, and that is an 11 year old classic. I still don't feel that this is an item that you were refering to.
One item I can say that fits the criteria (as I interpret your notion) is a tape I once bought, a split between Mons Veneris/Weltschmerz. This tape I find quite important for me because the Weltschmerz side of the tape is actually extrodinarilly good and has not (and probably will not) received any praise. The MV side is just okay, but the Weltschmerz sidw is phenomenal. I bought this tape many years ago and did not expect anythin special. I actually bouht it for the Mons Veneris side, which again is just average noise, and was surprised to find whis Weltschmerz work which reminded me a bit of Swallowing Bile. Nevertheless, this is outside of the classic P.E. culture and I don't expect it to reach any hights in the coming years as this was Weltschmerz's only work.

Acne

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 05, 2020, 07:12:28 PM
This makes me think of some of the recent Troniks sales - 10 to 12 cds for $20.  I got one of them, and pretty much every cd can be found on discogs for less than $3.  They are packaged in slipcases, sometimes with a plastic cover.  The bargain was to good to pass up, even though I did not recognize many of the bands.

In the end, however, it was a great purchase.  Lots of good harsh noise from projects that do not seem to get much attention - Testicle Hazard, AMK, etc.

Great noise - a great variety of styles - and a great person to support, so cheap and shipping was included in the $20.
also occasionally I will go to discogs and sort lowest to highest on a seller and throw a bunch of cheapo albums that I don't know into my cart. Luasa Raelon, Howard Stelzer, Mammal, Daniel Menche are just some ones that I see in my current cart that have CDs/7" going for $3 or lower.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Acne on June 06, 2020, 05:53:49 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 05, 2020, 07:12:28 PM

Great noise - a great variety of styles - and a great person to support, so cheap and shipping was included in the $20.

I think that that is exactly why Troniks is one of the best examples for this discussion.  Great releases.

Zeno Marx

Great thread.  When I think of Armenia and Napalmed (Anomalous Silencer comps), I'm reminded of all the mailer flyers from metal and punk closet labels and distros littered with random and forgotten noise projects from those same types.  Dabbling in noise for a single tape and vanishing.  Not remembering the names doesn't help the conversation or anyone looking to collect this stuff, but it was so in-and-out that they don't even show up on Discogs.  I've looked up punk players on Discogs trying to find their noise projects, but nope.  Nothing's there.  Seemed like Eastern Europe was a hotbed for this kind of thing.  My guess is a lot of those tapes ended up getting re-used, but I don't remember any of them sucking.  By today's standards, I'm also going to bet they'd well meet quality standards and would be appreciated.

I wish I knew/had more from Gestörte Nachbarn.  Sort of a lost, interesting project.  Bargain Basement is another one like that.  666 Volt Battery Noise.   Arsenije Jovanović.  Alluvial Recordings:   Yannick Dauby - La Rivière Penchée LP,  Hitoshi Kojo - Ezo 10", Seth Nehil - Amnemonic Site CD, Brain CDr,  John Hudak - Helene Marie: Reinterpretations 2CD, and just about every other release on the label.  Iancu Dumitrescu and so many others on the Edition RZ label.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

Quick response, I'll do a better one later. Any CD on Segerhuva is excellent and typically super cheap. A lot of material on Hanson is great too, even if it isnt the best ever.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Theodore

As i understand it many of those non-collectibles come from 1997-2005 era when CDR appeared and prevailed over cassette in the underground. CDR didnt stand the test of time in terms of preference and appreciation, also that period is in the middle of history, a transition, and maybe those are the reasons that this season is now overlooked [?] . Dont know, but that's the way i see it. - I guess non-collectibles doesnt mean they are always available and easy to get -after all who knows how many copies really were made, probably small number in many cases- , instead means that noone is willing to pay an arm and a leg for them.

So, re-listened The Violet Grind - Pyston (1998) cs on Scrotum earlier. One 20+ min lengthy track and a filler on each side. Fillers are like exersices, based on repetition, 'empty' , with minimum or none distortion. One midrange, the other a freq sweep. Nothing worth mention. BUT the lengthy tracks, their sound is a real treat ! Full harsh noise, he tries things, not always perfect compositional, then you feel that while the sound is great it miss that something to take it to next level, and it comes, many times, when everything fits and it reaches perfection ! And that's my only complain, you nailed it, leave it, dont move it hehe. - Very very good stuff, delivers no bullshit noise hour. - That's the only thing i have from him. I always want to buy / listen more but i find myself or buying new -too many new good releases, slow down guys! , i have to feed myself- or looking for older ...

Other things that quickly come to my mind now, good but never see them mentioned : G-Horsturz. Privy Seals - Shroud CS.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Johann

This instantly makes me think of the Francios Douris LP on RRR. Maybe its kinda specific taste, but a solid LP and relatively low interest in his output. One blog suggest that the material on the LP is guitar but I don't think I hear that at all, seems to be crude electronic and field recordings...some of the cassettes are starting to go for more money, but I assume it has more to do with the rarity of the label then anything about the material. those are crudest of the crude, not to many people talking about his material...wonder if anyone can shed more light on his work.

also, Factor X, almost no one ever mentions him....pretty prolific and varied style, tons of collabs with schimpfluch fellows and stuff but largely unconsidered.

Potier

Need to spend some more time thinking about this but the following popped into my head right away:

Ryfylke - Boknafjord CD (Roggbif) - 3 editions from 2004, 2007 and 2008 - not a specialty item by any stretch of the imagination but Toft & Skagen totally deliver on this one. I would call this atmospheric noise/harsh noise and it really resonates with me on an emotional level even after 15 years. Still spin this rather often. I remember late night walks with this in my ears - personal memories attached. To be had for 5 Euros on discogs.

Ryfylke - Morild/Nuema Brister LP (Roggbif) - from 2006 - somewhat different from the above since it gets more into drone and dark ambient territory but I feel this is a real solid record that rewards closer repeated listening. Worthwhile addition to any collection for as low as 2 Euros on discogs.

Now I want to spin some Faux Pas while thinking about Mr. Toft's work - he and Mr. Marhaug lay down the law of HN...