Deathbed; OR Quantity Vs Quality

Started by DarkCrawler2000, April 22, 2020, 06:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore

Thread is fine, we talk. Guy mentioned label as an example of what he dislikes. The "Dont like, dont bother" argument sounds right -i may have used it myself, and will probably do again- but it can be actually used against the one who said it too. "Dont like he does / says , dont bother" . Quite right, quite useless.

Re: promotion : Seems most agree that what this label does is successful promotion. From my 'customer' point of view is exactly the opposite. I dont have any social media account anymore so dont know what happens there, what label does. But i think it can be described as 'too active' / 'try hard' there , am i right ? Well i never appreciate the try hard to promote myself attitude. It doesnt work to me. - Another thing : Whole digital catalog for 10 bucks ? That's how much you value the music of your label ? If you just want a couple of digital releases, it's cheaper to buy the whole catalog ? Another warning sign. "Prefer me, i am cheap." or "Buy massively, i want to be heard" . Another turn off for me. - Labels / artists i appreciate, i found them sooner or later cause of their quality of work, they didnt come to me screaming "I am here! Try me!" . They dont 'release' one per week, there is quality control, and their taste i trust . Most releases i buy i dont even play the short sample before, if exists. - Honestly, that label's catalog has names that i know and i like but i am no way intrigued to check the unknown ones, the opposite !

Success comes through time, quality, consistency, persistance, respect and in this small genre / scene , most of the times comes silently. Selling out your 25-50 copies releases for a couple of years, having people faces 'supporting' in your bandcamp releases, while focusing more on promoting thanks to social media, well, it's not what i would call success. - If that's what you wanted to do, it's all fine.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

HONOR_IS_KING!

One of the better label's I've worked with and the release he did with me was in an edition of much more then the smaller editions he normally offers. My second release through him will hopefully be in an even larger edition then the previous.

Haters gonna hate.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

FreakAnimalFinland

It is expected that things will change. If there is some platform to disseminate information of your works, someone will use it. Many have told that IG is where people are. Facebook has been out for many years. Although, there also remains "noise scenes" that seem to be completely separate from the "old international noise scene".

I do have fairly strong opinions about things, but also do realize that it would be foolish to expect that the moment of time when I personally entered and was caught be the spirit of artform, that the identical way of doing things would (or should) continue. I mean, it does continue for me, obviously, but I could not expect that some new people entering today would not approach noise in form of facebook live shows, 1h HWN tracks at bandcamp and ltd 10 copies tapes promoted to 5000 followers at IG. It would be odd to expect things remain done as they were always done, when new folks probably feel no appeal nor nostalgia over the "old ways of doing things". It's fine with me, but I don't even feel we're really talking about the same thing at that point. Same conclusion was probably done by many already in several transition moments of genre.

That was in general. Deathbed, I never heard of, at least that I'd remember.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

NaturalOrthodoxy

I didn't realise the whole discography was on sale for $9. Instantly went and purchased.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: BlindDate87 on April 23, 2020, 09:08:00 PM
Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on April 23, 2020, 12:43:47 PM
I didn't realise the whole discography was on sale for $9. Instantly went and purchased.

What's your point here? I guess the stakes are incredibly low when it's $9. Confused by how many people seem personally offended at someone questioning promo tactics.

I find it sort of strange too.  Sales are great.

l.b.

say what you will about the label but I personally am strenuously opposed to the guy from my chemical romance getting into noise

pureterror

Quote from: l.b. on April 24, 2020, 08:40:41 AM
say what you will about the label but I personally am strenuously opposed to the guy from my chemical romance getting into noise

I've got bad news for you - the fanatics who post to message boards and release limited edition tapes aren't the only people who listen to noise. And I'd imagine that most maniacs here don't only listen to noise. I worked in a record store for 20 years and can tell you that listeners from all walks of life dip their toes into the wild side, some deeper than others of course, and I've met countless musicians across all genres that share an innate fascination with the limitless possibilities of sound. I've never met Gerard Way (and have never listened to My Chemical Romance) but my good friend directs many of his music videos and has told me for a decade that he's into weird shit. I believe it. On a similar emo front, Davey Havok has asked me about my noise activities every time I've run into him for the last 20 years (not sure if he's actually into it but he certainly understands what it is). And - true fucking story - Gavin Rossdale & Gwen Stefani walked past me once while I was wearing a Prurient hoodie. He stopped, turned around, pointed and said "Is that a Prurient hoodie? Nice." I wonder if he has a copy of The History of AIDS at home.

Back to Gerard Way - if he's using his influence to help support the underground, even if it's just to post a pic on instagram, that's killer. I don't have any Deathbed releases and don't think they're really for me but, thankfully, there's more than enough other good shit out there of interest that I don't need to spend emotional energy on the rest.

seventhcircle

Quote from: l.b. on April 24, 2020, 08:40:41 AM

Hopefully someone from Fall Out Boy will start a noise project- I am strenuously for anyone getting into anything they want, especially if it gets a reaction out of gatekeepers.
nothing is precious, bastardize everything

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: pureterror on April 24, 2020, 11:27:45 PM
Back to Gerard Way - if he's using his influence to help support the underground, even if it's just to post a pic on instagram, that's killer.

I, personally, am very thankful to people like him (though not him in particular - simply because I never encountered his social media).  Without people posting noise online, I know that I would have never come across it in the first place.

I am sure that there are, right now, potentially great noise musicians who do not play noise for the simple fact that they have not been exposed to it.  You never know who a post on a forum, facebook, or even instagram might reach and inspire.

l.b.

nah i'm not down sorry, don't care how cool davey havok and dave grohl are. i am not interested. i wish i were a gatekeeper so i could kick all metalcore kids out of noise forever. we don't need "support," we don't need more people in noise.

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: l.b. on April 25, 2020, 07:03:19 PM
nah i'm not down sorry, don't care how cool davey havok and dave grohl are. i am not interested. i wish i were a gatekeeper so i could kick all metalcore kids out of noise forever. we don't need "support," we don't need more people in noise.
Amen. Keep industrial out of harsh noise.

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: l.b. on April 25, 2020, 07:03:19 PM

Habibi, anytime you wanta come and "kick me out" for being a metalcore kid I'm more then down for it.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109