DAT Recorder

Started by Stipsi, April 18, 2020, 05:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stipsi

Someone has experience with them?
I know that a lot of japanoise artists use DAT to record their stuff, and I love that kind of sound (analog and digital mixed together)
I really would to buy one, nowadays they are pretty cheap, but I'm not sure to find the DAT tapes.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Potier

I think your best bet for sourcing DAT tapes is probably ebay or even your local buy and sell website/online market place. Quick check on ebay (US) tells me they go for like 6-10 USD a piece. Seems to be readily available.

JLIAT

Quote from: Stipsi on April 18, 2020, 05:25:29 PM
Someone has experience with them?
I know that a lot of japanoise artists use DAT to record their stuff, and I love that kind of sound (analog and digital mixed together)
I really would to buy one, nowadays they are pretty cheap, but I'm not sure to find the DAT tapes.

I used a small portable DAT and upgraded to a TASCAM. This had to be repaired as it began chewing tapes. I'm not sure how the sound is any different to any other digital recorder? Plus you cant edit DAT, you would need to upload to a computer or some such, which would be via an analogue path.
And looking at ebay you can get an 8 track portable digital recorder for less than a used DAT. (DAT recorders @ 48khtz and 44.1 - some I think only 48khtz -  the tape recording is digital not analogue)