Metgumbnerbone 2CD

Started by Yrjö-Koskinen, January 20, 2020, 09:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrjö-Koskinen

Well, well! A double Metgumbnerbone double CD with a bunch of rarities I have never heard, as well as a selection from the official releases. Not a complete reissue of Ligeliahorn or Drëun though, only a few tracks from each. It's going to be great to hear rare stuff I've missed out on, including the tracks from Drëun, and by and large this is a joyous occasion and cause for additional whiskey.

However: I would have thought that including at least the full album would have made the most sense, given that there are no reissues available at all apart from an odd CDr from "Ploughmyth International". While I'm happy for this release and don't want to be some kind of asshole I can't help wondering... Are we protecting the financial value of the original vinyls here? I haven't heard the tape, so in that case I suppose it might be that the actual quality doesn't live up to the hype, but Ligeliahorn is pretty much a perfect album, and it would have been great had it been reissued in its entirety.

Thoughts?

https://www.oldeuropacafe.com/catalog/category/metgumbnerbone-anthropological-field-recordings.html
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

impulse manslaughter

That LP is pretty high on my wantlist, such great record. Saw this 2CD announced and wasn't sure what to think, strange cover art for sure but not in a good way. A 3CD with Ligeliahorn on one disc, Drëun on one disc and some bonus material on one disc + some original artwork would be something I'd order without thinking. We'll see about this one.

Was listening to the Curfew Recordings last week. Also A+ material.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on January 20, 2020, 10:00:58 PM
That LP is pretty high on my wantlist, such great record. Saw this 2CD announced and wasn't sure what to think, strange cover art for sure but not in a good way. A 3CD with Ligeliahorn on one disc, Drëun on one disc and some bonus material on one disc + some original artwork would be something I'd order without thinking. We'll see about this one.

Drëun is a C90, so that would be a problem, but otherwise I'm 100% onboard with your view.

One possible interpretation of this strange way of going about things is that the group itself is responsible for track selection (and perhaps also layout). The Ligeliahorn (Redux) reissue was withdrawn "due to internal band conflicts" (https://recordcollectormag.com/articles/noise-art), so perhaps those conflicts were resolved in one way or another, and this is the result. That would explain things like omitting large parts of Ligeliahorn, which makes zero sense from a label/business point of view, but perhaps more so if you're an artist myopically passing judgement on past works.

If this is the case, things stand somewhat better than with any other explanation I can come up with. Still, full reissues of the previous releases would be preferable.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: W.K. on January 20, 2020, 11:19:05 PM
Quote'selected tracks'
Quotestrange cover art
QuoteTracks have been re-titled for this release.
Quotelow-on-information package
Quotedoes not provide many answers

Nailed it

NO PART OF IT

I saw copies of this posted about in October, but no purchase info until now!   Thanks! 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

wilst-de

Got my copy some month ago as a gift from Metgumbnerbone. Since years I was hoping for a re-release of their music. It's fantastic and I am glad this DoCD has been compiled as it's full of rare and unreleased music. All these complaints here are ignoring that this is one of the finest and most important releases (I can think of). And it's done the way Metgumbnerbone wanted to do it ...
Official release date: 01. February. Aussaat will have some copies for sale.

Soloman Tump

I wasn't intentionally supporting the negativity in this thread - it is however quite a dubiously written press release and could be seen as unofficial.  Happy to see that you know it is official though - I have ordered a copy.

wilst-de

Yes, it is an absolutely official release. Patches and badges will be available aswell.

impulse manslaughter

Will order a copy too when it's out. Critical notes aside i'm pretty exited this material finally becomes available.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: wilst-de on January 21, 2020, 01:34:27 PM
All these complaints here are ignoring that this is one of the finest and most important releases (I can think of).
I hope my original post made clear that I do think this is a good thing (I will buy it). Just trying to wrap my head around some odd choices, which seemed even more odd when Old Europa Café were involved.

Quote from: wilst-de on January 21, 2020, 01:34:27 PM
And it's done the way Metgumbnerbone wanted to do it ...
The missing puzzle piece. I don't think you need to be too offended at any negative undertones here, on my part any such undertones are based purely on the fact that I'd like to own the original Ligeliahorn on a physical format, and don't want to spend several hundred Euros (which I probably will at some point anyway). I can easily switch gears and instead be exited about rare/new material.

impulse manslaughter

I ordered the 2Cd though the Bandcamp page and listened to the set today. Great selection of tracks with a nice mixture of the different sides (drone, ritual, rhythmic) of this project and also a good mastering job. It really became a cohesive release (esp. on CD1) despite being a compilation with tracks from different sessions. Will be on heavy rotation the next few weeks. Still think the artwork is unfitting and the lack of information is a bit annoying.

Soloman Tump

Its not released via any label as far as i can tell, the information you get is all that they wanted to include.

Have only managed to listen to the first CD so far but it's a great blend of junk / found sound percussion sessions, strange horn sounds, moans, groans and screams. The different recording locations really add to the natural sound. I never heard any of the original recordings so cannot comment on the mastering but it all sounds fascinating to me.

Zeno Marx

Noisextra talked about this set a bit in one of their playlist discussions.  I don't understand why the re-naming, editing, and other obfuscations (how I judge it as explained).  It sounds as if it is less of a reissue than quasi new work.  Is that correct?  I'm baffled by these type of releases.  Again, as I've heard about it, on the better case scenario, it is artistic schizophrenia, and on the worst side, it's audience manipulation.  Is Steven Stapleton involved in this?

The cover reminds me of something Caroliner crossed with Sturmpercht would do.

Like that they did a patches?  I like embroidered patches a lot.  I see one on the bandcamp page, but a search showed a rectangular logo patch.  Both official?
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

totalblack

Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 03, 2020, 09:09:03 PM
I don't understand why the re-naming, editing, and other obfuscations (how I judge it as explained).  It sounds as if it is less of a reissue than quasi new work.  

As listed - 2 tracks from 'Ligeliahorn', 3 tracks from 'Dreun', 3 comp tracks, 7 tracks from 'For The Raven' (the bootleg tape has 9 tracks + 3 comp tracks), and then 7 other unreleased tracks. That only adds up to 22 so no idea what the other track is. Some of the track lengths seem to add up to pieces on other releases on discogs, but with all names changed. It's certainly confusing, but a fair amount of it's recognizable. A friend has a copy of the "Cops Of Matter" tape which I got to listen to once, it's apparently taken from Dreun sessions, but I'm not certain if any of the unreleased material here is contained on it. I would be very surprised if any of it was new material. All things aside, after several plays through it's certainly a rewarding listen

murderous_vision

Is anyone in the USA stocking this?