Creating cutups

Started by sadneck, December 20, 2019, 11:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLIAT

I've some windows VB programs for randomly chopping up sound files here...
also for turning other files into WAVs etc.

http://www.jliat.com/download/index.html

which might be of interest?

Acne

Quote from: JLIAT on May 25, 2020, 03:34:05 PM

Been experimenting with your programs for quite some time, thank you for them :)
Your cut-up program is very good.

Duncan

A fun technique I've used a few times is to make cuts of whatever audio I'm working with, render them as new files, load into itunes (or whatever you use) then create a playlist of the new set to shuffle/repeat mode.  Easy to re-route that into a DAW or into a tape player, all the better if you do so while flexing that pause button muscle.

Might not create fast, easy, fluid results at the click of a button but it's certainly a reasonable way to take the process out of your hands a bit and give you new building blocks to work with.

JLIAT

Quote from: Acne on May 25, 2020, 08:15:15 PM

Been experimenting with your programs for quite some time, thank you for them :)
Your cut-up program is very good.

Glad you find it useful.  Re cutups, you may know this but you can copy MP3 files and the result is playable,
e.g.   at the command prompt -

Copy /b *.mp3 big.mp3

/b = binary. All the mp3s will be copied into 1 big mp3 which is playable.

Another source of "cut ups" is the swap  / page file. " C:\pagefile.sys by default, but you won't see it unless you tell Windows Explorer not to hide protected operating system files."

If you copy this and then import the copy as raw data into a sound editor, audacity, goldwave etc, it contains all kinds of bits of programs and files you've been using, even sound files... obviously you can do this for other files also, but always use a copy, if you copy an app then modify the sound and save, it will most likely not run.

Soviet_District

I've been achieving some interesting results with Karlheinz Essl's 'REplay PLAYer' (http://www.essl.at/works/replay.html). It performs cut-ups and resequencing in performance in real-time, though, so may not necessarily be what everybody is after in a 'cut-up machine'.. But it's worth a look either way. Will update this post with links to a release on which I've used this (as and when I release something on which I've used this).

sadneck

What I've ended up doing (for the most part anyway) is playing back large audio files and skipping through them 'live' and recording it whilst I do it, if that makes any sense. I prefer the cut ups to be more random and on the fly and going with the feel of what happens, than meticulously thought out and rather obvious.

Potier

I have had some good results in cutting up and intermixing various live and recorded sources via the use of keyed gates. For instance using something like a DOD FX 30b (Gate/Loop) you can "unlock" one signal with another signal - so like a recording of your voice could be "transformed" into weirdly choppy synth lines - sort of using it as a control source. Or your scraping of a contact mic can "activate" another sound source in cut up ways etc.  I'm using mostly rack gates for this kind of stuff these days.

Acne

Quote from: Potier on May 28, 2020, 11:34:03 PM
I have had some good results in cutting up and intermixing various live and recorded sources via the use of keyed gates. For instance using something like a DOD FX 30b (Gate/Loop) you can "unlock" one signal with another signal - so like a recording of your voice could be "transformed" into weirdly choppy synth lines - sort of using it as a control source. Or your scraping of a contact mic can "activate" another sound source in cut up ways etc.  I'm using mostly rack gates for this kind of stuff these days.

tried to work this way with the fx30b and couldn't quite get it right, probably worth a revisit! Can you link any of your tracks that you think utilize this technique?

Duncan

Quote from: Acne on May 29, 2020, 04:52:57 PM

tried to work this way with the fx30b and couldn't quite get it right, probably worth a revisit! Can you link any of your tracks that you think utilize this technique?

Just to note that this describes a hardware version of a side chain gate process which is really simple to set up in, I assume, most DAWs with noise gate plugins. Use this technique often and have done so live a few times too.

Potier

Quote from: Duncan on May 29, 2020, 05:29:20 PM
Quote from: Acne on May 29, 2020, 04:52:57 PM
I have had some good results in cutting up and intermixing various live and recorded sources via the use of keyed gates. For instance using something like a DOD FX 30b (Gate/Loop) you can "unlock" one signal with another signal - so like a recording of your voice could be "transformed" into weirdly choppy synth lines - sort of using it as a control source. Or your scraping of a contact mic can "activate" another sound source in cut up ways etc.  I'm using mostly rack gates for this kind of stuff these days.

Just to note that this describes a hardware version of a side chain gate process which is really simple to set up in, I assume, most DAWs with noise gate plugins. Use this technique often and have done so live a few times too.

The DOD FX 30b is a bit tricky to work for sure. I feel that the sensitivity and release knobs tend to be different on different versions/build years. Also depends on how beat up the pedal is. Here is the manual again in case it's needed - there's an explanation of the keyed gate process in there:

http://files.effectsdatabase.com/docs/manuals/dod_fx30b.pdf

I have only played around with "voice activation" or "contact mic activation" without recording any of it. I have however used it among other things on the Undercut tape released last year by Absurd Exposition. Will be difficult to identify since it's essentially wacky feedback stretches "unlocking" other feedback layers. Keep in mind that the Gate/Loop pedal is rather limited when it comes to that function - you'll have more options and efficiency with a rack gate or as mentioned in a DAW with side chain gates.

Duncan

This also makes me realise we've not really discussed noise gates as a standalone utility to any extent here.  Run a fairly busy piece of audio through a hard gate, experimenting with low attack and release settings and you'll achieve some pleasing choppy results.  As with any of these techniques it's something to think about as an additional component rather than a one stop shop but it's something I've used a lot and still keep finding new ways to work with.  Again, Reaper has some really good options. 

Potier

Quote from: Duncan on May 29, 2020, 06:38:11 PM
This also makes me realise we've not really discussed noise gates as a standalone utility to any extent here.  Run a fairly busy piece of audio through a hard gate, experimenting with low attack and release settings and you'll achieve some pleasing choppy results.  As with any of these techniques it's something to think about as an additional component rather than a one stop shop but it's something I've used a lot and still keep finding new ways to work with.  Again, Reaper has some really good options. 

Considering the hype around gated fuzz in the noise community, it truly is peculiar that these kinds of tools do not seem to get more attention all around. It might even be time for a dedicated thread regarding tips & tricks/signal flow/methods...
Let's call it trade secrets...

Balor/SS1535

Some years late to this, but I just downloaded your cut-up program and it seems like it can do some very interesting things.  Do you have any suggestions on how to get the best results out of it?  Thanks for making it available!