Best / Worst of 2019

Started by WCN, December 18, 2019, 10:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baglady

BEST RECORDS AND TAPES

OCHU - Unproduktiw 12" (Verlautbarung)
Came out new years eve 2018, so what the hell. Some sort of perfect middle ground between his more rough tape days and his latter day skills. Tvärsnitt was a hazy mountain trip, Unproduktiw is pure unease. Master at work.

V/A - Bidödaren 12" (Ferns Recordings)
Super solid compilation, both thematically and quality wise. Colley, Small Cruel Party, Tarab, Menche, BJ Nilsen etc...

PIECES - S/t 12" (White Centipede Noise)
The 2013 cassette was brilliant. This takes off from its endnote, and tightens the straps even more. Noise to grind your teeth to.

RUSALKA - Base Waters 12" (Absurd Exposition)
Epic harsh noise. I always come to think of Aube when I listen to Rusalka, even though it doesn't quite sound like him. I think it comes down to how much care and effort they put into their work, and well, how vast it always sounds.

GLASS HALF & HEAT SIGNATURE - The Dark Relief MC (self-released)
Unfairly limited tour tape. This is just 40 minutes of all out carnage, but thouroghly made carnage. Their not youths, these fellas, but it sure sounds like they're shitting rage hormones all over the place.

HEAT SIGNATURE - Dehumanization In Progress CD (Oxen)
This really was Heat Signature's year, obviously. I donät like picking two releases from the same artists for year end lists, but what can you do. Perfecting the americanoise sound and pushing it forward.

KIRAN ARORA - Formication CD (Prose Nagge)
Might be the shocker of the year. I really like what I've heard from him before, but this... Snorting dead bugs is what this album is all about.

TRERIKSRÖSET - Kristen Musik Från Rågsved LP (Harbinger)
TRERIKSRÖSET - S/t MC (self-released)
Another case of not being able to pick just one. Kristen Musik for being so elegantly violent. Side B might be the harsh noise piece of the decade. The tape for being an incredible C62 recorded live to tape (who else does that these days?)

WINCE - Shame CD (White Centipede Noise)
A perfect marriage between the pummeling of The Older Generation and the restrained textural blowtorch tickle tease of Traum.

JEPH JERMAN - Arcane Facture CD (White Centipede Noise)
Here he comes, a drunken amputee archeologist, uncarefully rummaging through fragile ancient finds at the dig site, creating quite a symphony.

WORTH - Hidden In Christ MC (Self Abuse)
Not only does he always manage to make something that feels new and unexpected, it's also fuckin spine chilling. This is his best since the fantastic Blinder.

There were many many more great noise releases this year, but I feel like favoring (and encouraging) what I feel are solid albums. Less C20's, more albums!

BEST SHOWS

Paranoid Time  - Summer Scum, Cincinnati
Testicle Hazard - Teater Trixter, Gothenburg

Strangecross

I normally would not be interested in posting about reissues but... lily the flesh and racial superiority are excellent.
might post more of a list later

Yrjö-Koskinen

I've got very little to contribute here. However original and interesting I might be as a person (and it's pretty impressive), I think I'm basically mainstream as far as good industrial/noise/experimental goes. Besides, I mainly accumulate old stuff rather than keep up. Regardless, from this year's acquisitions I'd like to endorse:

Umpio - Acquired Tastes - Lost Tapes 2008-2011 (Freak Animal)
YANA - Fat Carpet (Freak Animal)
Treriksröset - S/T (Hatband)
Treriksröset - Kristen Musik Från Rågsved (Harbinger Sound)
Jaakko Vanhala - Cuts Of Grace (Freak Animal)
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

[MBD]

A month into the new year and I may as well chime in.

Top 5 noise/PE releases in no particular order:

Striations - Keepsakes
Laureate - Eurekaphilia
Body Carve - Autoamputation
Himukalt - Sex Worker
Worth - Ruination Assessment

Top 5 sets/shows also in no particular order:

Survival Unit, Agonal Lust and etc. at Club Rectum
Pain Jerk at Hospital Fest
John Wiese + Skin Graft collab in Cleveland
Heinz Hopf at Summer Scum
Actually Summer Scum was so good that everyone who didn't get turned down by the sound guy mid-set did an excellent job.

Worst of 2019:
Losing Keith
Smell & Quim at Hospital Fest (it was the absolute worst set I have ever seen and I doubt I will ever see something that bad again).
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

murderous_vision

Quote from: [MBD] on February 01, 2020, 09:01:47 AM
A month into the new year and I may as well chime in.

Top 5 noise/PE releases in no particular order:

Striations - Keepsakes
Laureate - Eurekaphilia
Body Carve - Autoamputation
Himukalt - Sex Worker
Worth - Ruination Assessment

Top 5 sets/shows also in no particular order:

Survival Unit, Agonal Lust and etc. at Club Rectum
Pain Jerk at Hospital Fest
John Wiese + Skin Graft collab in Cleveland
Heinz Hopf at Summer Scum
Actually Summer Scum was so good that everyone who didn't get turned down by the sound guy mid-set did an excellent job.

Worst of 2019:
Losing Keith
Smell & Quim at Hospital Fest (it was the absolute worst set I have ever seen and I doubt I will ever see something that bad again).
I've seen quite a few people vaguely state that the Smell & Quim set was exceptionally bad. Anyone care to share what was up with it?

PedestrianOrgans

I'm almost positive they weren't focused on the show. Hospital Fest was while they were still trying to find Simon....

totalblack

Quote from: PedestrianOrgans on February 01, 2020, 05:31:04 PM
I'm almost positive they weren't focused on the show. Hospital Fest was while they were still trying to find Simon....

At that point Simon wasn't missing, he had just notified Dave that he wasn't coming, while Dave was at the airport checked in already. Simon was a major part of the group and it was obvious there were elements missing. Despite this I still was highly entertained by the completely fucked up display that they ended up putting on. It was confusing and horrible, but also kind of awesome, in a way that makes sense in the context of the group. It was very different from the set they played earlier in 2019 in Berlin, but it was still uniquely Smell & Quim. Takes a lot of balls to do a vocals-only set with a backup tape of someone pissing for 45 minutes.

[MBD]

Quote from: totalblack on February 01, 2020, 06:56:10 PM
Despite this I still was highly entertained by the completely fucked up display that they ended up putting on. It was confusing and horrible, but also kind of awesome, in a way that makes sense in the context of the group. It was very different from the set they played earlier in 2019 in Berlin, but it was still uniquely Smell & Quim. Takes a lot of balls to do a vocals-only set with a backup tape of someone pissing for 45 minutes.

Maybe at some point in the future, I'll be able to look back on it and recognize how fucked and insane it really was, but it's still too early for me to say it was anything but the worst set I've ever seen.  That said, the vast majority of the acts that night were great, Richard Ramirez and Pain Jerk being the obvious two.
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

holy ghost

Quote from: totalblack on February 01, 2020, 06:56:10 PMTakes a lot of balls to do a vocals-only set with a backup tape of someone pissing for 45 minutes.

When I think of "bad" noise sets it's usually when someone takes 30 minutes to set up their pedals power supplies or it's just totally generic.... this at least sounds like somehow the best AND worst thing you could ever see....

doll

A little late but

my favorites of 2019 in no particular order (and probably forgetting a bunch)
Ritual Chair - Exploit
Himukalt - Sex Worker
Niku Daruma - She Gets What She Wants
Interracial Sex - N***** Addicted Jackaholic
Straight Panic - PIG
Climax Denial - Blackout Suite
Terror Cell Unit - Dedicated to All Spree Shooters
Burnt-Feathers - Discordia Nervosa
Kelsey Lee - Malus Lancifolia
Hypoxophilia - Degenerate Backwoods Lobotomy
baby doll
I am your dog

deutscheasphalt

Nor Index "Mockingbird"
Kiran Arora "Formication"
H.C.O.D, Aischrolatreia "Crystallization"

re-issue:
Heat Signature "Disguised Human Presence"

andy vomit

Quote from: wonderland_media on February 12, 2020, 01:23:00 AM
And last but not least, a great show in Providence featuring: Concrete Mascara, Neurotic Force, The Vomit Arsonist, Hymenal Opening, Junie Bop Fuckwhap, Legless...what more could you ask for?!

that junie bop set was fucking wild
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

XXX

2019 didn't have too much for me in terms of quantity, but thankfully the releases I did love showcased a lot of hard work and quality to make up for such small output. Here are a handful of strictly full length LP's that have been getting, and will continue to get heavy rotation:

Harsh Noise
RUSALKA - Base Waters

Power Electronics
SARIN SNOW - Deus Vult

Hardcore
MAGNITUDE - To Whatever Fateful End

Black metal
DEPARTURE CHANDELIER - Antichrist Rise To Power

Death Metal
TOMB MOLD - Planetary Clairvoyance

Other
ORVILLE PECK - Pony

Scat-O-Logy

Quote from: SILVUM on February 20, 2020, 01:19:02 AMCoil - Threshold Archives 8XCD

Fuck, didn't know such thing existed. I need this!

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: terminus01 on December 20, 2019, 02:32:12 PM
Ex-Jesus

Saw this name plugged more than a couple times, wanted to hear something, anything, seriously, any-fucking-thing. For the love of... And then. The thirst very partially slaked via soundcloud- Unreleased 2019 = pure fire. Emphasis on fire. Scorched earth searing holy hell. This project needs to be - several times - plugged.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag