Special Interest
December 07, 2019, 11:41:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soma Ether  (Read 569 times)
Marko-V
user

« on: October 22, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »

Here's another interesting piece. Any experiences?

"ETHER is a kind of anti-radio. Instead of being tuned to a specific radio station, it receives all the interference and radiation that a traditional radio tries to eliminate in order to create a clean signal. It captures the radio waves “as is” from hertz to gigahertz, because it doesn’t contain the tuned input circuit that filters out all frequencies except the narrow band of a specific station. This allows ETHER to perceive the invisible electromagnetic landscape that humans created unintentionally, making possible live electromagnetic field listening and recording."

https://somasynths.com/ether/

theworldisawarfilm
moderate user

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 05:31:23 PM »

Meh. Fancy EMF 'sniffer.' I'll stick with the one I built for $5 thanks.
Vitrufen

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 06:58:15 PM »

I'll admit it is a little snobby thing, but its cool. I imagine a single recording with this device could act as a multi-layered texture with the mangled electromagnetic field recordings you could get out of it. It seems almost too easy, as I like manually layering various textures over each-other...still, emf recording is kinda interesting.
host body

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:26:46 PM »

it's a fun device, maybe not worth its retail price but still. i've used it live to add texture over synth pads. it does love a reverb and a mixer to filter out frequencies, though. i've also found some really cool samples, sounding almost like a really noisey synth by filtering out the highs and recording what comes out of my pedal power source, then putting that on a sampler and playing it with a keyboard. it's a neat source for sampling, nothing more nothing less.

the demo video they released was very misleading, listening to different electric fields outside was fun for exactly the walk home from the post office.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:29:04 PM by host body » Logged
Electro Surgeon
moderate user

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 12:08:49 AM »

There is a cool interview online where Roro from VOMIR talks about using one during his daily commutes.

AUSTRALIAN NOISE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: