Collage Art Source Material

Started by NO PART OF IT, October 15, 2019, 10:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

l.b.

"recommend me specific books of pictures of old people that i can find in the garbage." what the fuck

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 21, 2019, 05:08:07 PM
Another place to look is recycling yards.  A family friend used to go and bring huge boxes of books on pretty much whatever subject matter you would be interested in - photo books of WW2, Soviet propaganda literature, birding guides, etc.  Plus, they are usually pretty beat up, so you never feel that bad about cutting them up.  I think that they just get sets of books from people who do not want them any more, so they can't cost that much (if anything)!

I have never thought of that! 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 22, 2019, 11:48:46 AM
Another place to look is recycling yards.  A family friend used to go and bring huge boxes of books on pretty much whatever subject matter you would be interested in - photo books of WW2, Soviet propaganda literature, birding guides, etc.  Plus, they are usually pretty beat up, so you never feel that bad about cutting them up.  I think that they just get sets of books from people who do not want them any more, so they can't cost that much (if anything)!

The recycling yard has been the source of some of the weirdest/most interesting books that I own.  It is not everyday that you come across American anti-communist textbooks!

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on October 24, 2019, 09:35:18 PM

The recycling yard has been the source of some of the weirdest/most interesting books that I own.  It is not everyday that you come across American anti-communist textbooks!

I've never been able to find recycling yards.  When you say that, I think of "scrap yards" or junk yards, and even those, I don't know where to look unless I am looking for car parts...  But that's an interesting approach worth exploring.  Thanks!
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 25, 2019, 03:25:44 PM

I've never been able to find recycling yards.  When you say that, I think of "scrap yards" or junk yards, and even those, I don't know where to look unless I am looking for car parts...  But that's an interesting approach worth exploring.  Thanks!

Trash is pretty cool to mess around with also.  I have made some interesting collages that incorporated discarded plastic wrap and a piece of a broken wooden pallet.

Cementimental

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 15, 2019, 10:45:21 PM
I'm personally into collaging from faces, so I'd love to find a book of just old photographs of wrinkled peoples' faces.  

not only old people, but Ken Ohara's "ONE" is a phone-directory sized.... wait, that analogy doesn't work any more... but anyway a huge book of nothing but full-page extreme closeups of random New Yorker's faces in the 60's. - https://amzn.to/2PZTMSD

i got my copy for £1 in a remaindered bookshop years back :D a friend got one too and wallpapered their practice room with it.  looks like it's still possible to find a copy at collageable prices.

Quote from: l.b. on October 21, 2019, 06:21:59 PM
"recommend me specific books of pictures of old people that i can find in the garbage." what the fuck

:D well, it beats vaporwave / dungeon synth kids constantly asking 'WHAT SPECIFIC SECOND HAND TAPE PLAYER SHOULD I BUY?'... uh whichever of the 3 tape players you can even randomly find in your town

QuoteTrash

Some of my best collages have been made using the unintentional offcuts from the 'good' collages i was trying to make :D

Soloman Tump

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 25, 2019, 03:25:44 PM

They are also great places to snap photos.  You often get weird / broken things sat next to each other that you wouldn't normally find.

NO PART OF IT

Quote from: Cementimental on November 05, 2019, 06:11:07 PM
Quote from: NO PART OF IT on October 15, 2019, 10:45:21 PM
I'm personally into collaging from faces, so I'd love to find a book of just old photographs of wrinkled peoples' faces.  

not only old people, but Ken Ohara's "ONE" is a phone-directory sized.... wait, that analogy doesn't work any more... but anyway a huge book of nothing but full-page extreme closeups of random New Yorker's faces in the 60's. - https://amzn.to/2PZTMSD

i got my copy for £1 in a remaindered bookshop years back :D a friend got one too and wallpapered their practice room with it.  looks like it's still possible to find a copy at collageable prices.

Quote from: l.b. on October 21, 2019, 06:21:59 PM

:D well, it beats vaporwave / dungeon synth kids constantly asking 'WHAT SPECIFIC SECOND HAND TAPE PLAYER SHOULD I BUY?'... uh whichever of the 3 tape players you can even randomly find in your town

QuoteTrash

Some of my best collages have been made using the unintentional offcuts from the 'good' collages i was trying to make :D

Bought it for $8.25 ppd!   Thanks!   

I have also found some good shots in the library from books about the history of photography...  I need to find a junk yard still!

By the way, I meant for this thread to be about finding source material in general, not just faces, if that's not obvious already.  I appreciate the input from the people who are quick enough to contribute something other than an unoriginal man-grunt.   

Balor/SS1535

I realized today that ads for dental surgery can provide some great images of rotting teeth.  They are all clear, evocative pictures that I am sure will go to good use.  I will have to look more closely at the advertisements that I come across.

NO PART OF IT

I don't think I've ever seen an ad for dental surgery that ever had anything beyond someone with a generic pearly white smile... 

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on November 21, 2019, 11:57:04 AM
I don't think I've ever seen an ad for dental surgery that ever had anything beyond someone with a generic pearly white smile... 

The ad had that too, but only in the context of a before and after comparison.  I guess they are trying to scare people into using their services!

In all seriousness, though, the pictures were really good, and will definitely prove useful in some form.  I need to spend some time looking more closely at other advertisements as well.

NO PART OF IT

In the USA, those scare tactics are no longer appropriate!   I don't think I've seen before/after photos of any kind since the 90s?  At least not in magazines. 

Soloman Tump

Science Journals would be a good source - specifically dentistry journals!

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Soloman Tump on November 22, 2019, 04:43:58 PM
Science Journals would be a good source - specifically dentistry journals!

Great idea, will have to look into those.  I imagine any journal discussing disease would be a great source.

Quote from: NO PART OF IT on November 22, 2019, 02:48:36 PM
In the USA, those scare tactics are no longer appropriate!   I don't think I've seen before/after photos of any kind since the 90s?  At least not in magazines. 

I found them in an ad in my local newspaper (in the US)!

Cementimental

Here in the UK at least, cigarette packets are pretty much readmade goregrind album covers