VCVRack

Started by pentd, October 06, 2019, 12:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentd

damn this is insane, i'm hooked beyond repair

vcvrack.com

for zerobudget-chumps like me who can't afford "real" "gear"

Euro Trash Bazooka

It's interesting to learn how to use synthesis and what Mutable Instruments and Befaco modules can do. But it doesn't replace the real deal for me.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

pentd

ah, the immediate response about the "real deal" vs what? non-real?

amazing tools for noisy textures & crunchy soundfuck, i see no problem. also might learn something.

Euro Trash Bazooka

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Vcv rack is definitely amazing and an incredible tool, both to create music with and to learn modular synthesis.

I meant that it can't replace the real deal for me as I need to turn knobs and press keys, flip switches, patch cables, etc, as I don't like creating music with a computer. I need the hands-on, physicality of the instrument to enjoy creating music and feel like I play something. But it's definitely one of the most interesting piece of musical software I had the pleasure to tinker with.

pentd

no problem!

but for me its been a huge step forward for my exploration of insect electronix... my main interest for ca.5 years now....

i been exploring "real" modular AT LAST recently, never could afford any... but now i have temporary access to a huge eurorack system. i understand it's "better" than software. anyway, vcvrack is the best thing in and for a long time, and i'm waiting to hear what noiseheads cook up with it... not just stinky ambient pads and kraut arpeggios, but fucked up crackles, crunches and insect rainforest stuff

Euro Trash Bazooka

I think it's entirely doable with VCVRack with the equivalent of Braids and Clouds. I haven't used it in a long time but I wonder if they also implemented the codes for the Easter Egg modes in the MI modules? Parasites on Clouds and the Ominous Voice on Elements are amazing.

RMBLRX

It's ridiculous how much of a time-sink VCV Rack can be:  I have so many saved patches that are simply studies of modular concepts or simply explorations of different module types.  It gets really rad when you start to hybridize between that and hardware as well (I'm only just beginning with eurorack, myself, but one of my first priorities was to acquire an appropriate interface to get everything talking... too early for the ES-9, though), but even just as something to include in a signal chain for effects, dynamics, or different mixing strategies, it's just fantastic.  I feel a little guilty sometimes using Bitwig, now that it has its own approach to modular, but I figure that VCV's always there to fill in the gaps; VCV's still the best way to figure out eurorack hardware though--in terms of what modules to get and their general usage, particularly since it's sometimes used to showcase modules which are available as hardware.

I'm thinking I might have to buckle down and do a whole album with mostly VCV shit, but for now, I've just been using it for one-offs and studies.  I think, though, I might want a 16n Faderbank or some Midilar modules before undertaking something like that.

pentd

recently bought vcv console.... support and gratitude

it's been very rewarding after hooking up a controller. no more runking with the mouse, or at least significantly less... after fast setting up i dont touch it again, just listen and perform..

pentd

after a summer of lockdown, getting back to eurorack... got really used to vcvrack's endless possibilities, and suddenly having only a certain amount of modules, or cables available, yoiks!

what an ecosystem of sound manipulation!

host body

Quote from: pentd on October 13, 2019, 01:18:02 AM
but for me its been a huge step forward for my exploration of insect electronix... my main interest for ca.5 years now....

this made me chuckle, i salute you and your quest to master insect electronics

I'm kinda tempted to start fiddling with VCVRack or w/e the ipad equivalent is, but as said before I just love twisting physical knobs so the jump over to a virtual UI for making music is a big one personally. I also have little interest on spending thousands on euros on eurorack, so I guess a program like this is my only chance of getting eurorack sounds to my music.

So would it be possible to add a midi controller to an ipad that would allow me to change the values and modifiers without having to use touch control? I have a midi controller for ipad, but do the knobs and sliders work on the eurorack app?

pentd

i dont know about ipads/tablets... i understand it's a different program altogether?

but any midi controller seems to be super easy to connect to the computer version: juts add "midi map" module, select your device, start mapping. no more "checking emails" while performing!

host body

Quote from: pentd on September 07, 2020, 08:01:29 PM
but any midi controller seems to be super easy to connect to the computer version: juts add "midi map" module, select your device, start mapping. no more "checking emails" while performing!

Yeah, not a problem but I have a dawless setup so a tablet would fit into that.

pentd

ok, v2 is here... seems a bit buggy still, but very promising + interesting

-NRRRRK-

A friend of mine recommended to have a look at VCV Rack when I told him I thought about giving Eurorack synths a try. Down the rabbit hole. It's frightening how much time one can spend just dwelling in sounds.

After fiddling with the software for some time now I started planning on building a Eurorack case and get some basic modules.

pentd

even "only" the free version is insanely deep

many modules that exist also in hardware version are here in digi version, but well well well, if the hardware isnt also digital on the inside... so in many cases you get the*exact* same sounds and functions 

recently video guru omri cohen set up a "system" and suggested to stay with that only. i gotta say, that never occurred to me... i have always kinda freestyle just started chaining up modules, always different ones than in previous patches... so yeah, next project = just a "closed" vcv-system / template?