SÖLDNERGEIST - german heavy electronics

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 05, 2019, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Was listening today Söldnergeist debute tape, thinking if there was discussion of this project already? Seems like not. This 1992 Der Rest Ist Schweigen ‎-tape is not his best recording, but it reminds of style that is no longer done. Sure there are heavy electronics and power electronics, but most of them do not have characteristics of this era. There are lots of short loops. Short spoken samples. There is the rough analogue feel to mixing and production. It doesn't aim to be overtly noisy, nor brutally violent or lo-fi. Just happens to be quite raw. Only track I don't care much is the looping of psychedelic rock - droning in the end of tape. Not bad, but shift of atmosphere is perhaps too much, especially when knowing how great and solid the later works of Söldnergeist became. I still rate this higher than some of the CD works.

Full tape here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpvyAC2Q4Dg&t=1581s

1st CD, "Spur 2" CD is notch better and certainly worth to get.

2nd CD, ‎"Global Media Control" from 1996 if often mentioned by members of Strom.ec/Cloama, when talking with them about influential recordings. If one has appreciated 90's works of those Finnish projects, but not listened Söldnergeist... Well.. check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmO6dbhQwdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkDCKLnQWiA
Influences may be pretty clear.

My personal favorite was always 3rd album, "Terror" CD. Curiously, this CD being issued by both Art Konkrete and RRR/Pure, making it probably easily available in USA and Europe, but no tracks appear at youtube? Sound seems more heavy and noisier than Global Media Control was. More towards the early works. German version has better covers. Music is the same for both. All the CD's are fairly cheap, and certainly worth to grab when you see them.

Project seems to be almost forgotten. Member of project appears to be still out there in social media. No relevant works seems to be done after 90's. Only remixing few tracks of Drape Excerement almost 15 years ago.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

totalblack

I've always held this project in a high regard, maybe just due to the period + proximity to Art Konkret, and the releases on State Art \ Tesco \ Self Abuse.

Personally my favorite isn't the Soldernegist material, but the Advokat Ihrer Hoheit - Opferbereit LP ... agree with what you say that there are stylistic elements not really present in most modern projects. There is some new material from A.I.H. but I was not convinced by what I heard.

Acne

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 05, 2019, 07:04:24 PM
Was listening today Söldnergeist debute tape, thinking if there was discussion of this project already? Seems like not. This 1992 Der Rest Ist Schweigen ‎-tape is not his best recording, but it reminds of style that is no longer done. Sure there are heavy electronics and power electronics, but most of them do not have characteristics of this era. There are lots of short loops. Short spoken samples. There is the rough analogue feel to mixing and production. It doesn't aim to be overtly noisy, nor brutally violent or lo-fi. Just happens to be quite raw. Only track I don't care much is the looping of psychedelic rock - droning in the end of tape. Not bad, but shift of atmosphere is perhaps too much, especially when knowing how great and solid the later works of Söldnergeist became. I still rate this higher than some of the CD works.

Been a big fan if this tape - happy it's on youtube and have only listened to it there, I remember liking it for the looping harsh textures - lots of layering and the sounds don't feel like they have a lot of "breathing room" but the whole recording feels like a fun little chaotic texture collage work, you can tell they had a good time making it.

re:evolution

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 05, 2019, 07:04:24 PM
Project seems to be almost forgotten. Member of project appears to be still out there in social media. No relevant works seems to be done after 90's. Only remixing few tracks of Drape Excerement almost 15 years ago.

Perhaps they have never been a pinnacle project for me, but still enjoyable and I was actually really looking forward seeing them perform at Tower Transmissions a couple of years ago. But while confirmed to play they simply never showed up, or even contacted the promoter to advise of their no-show (from what I was told). Did it ever come to light why the gig was forfeited?
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

Leatherface

Great sounds, shame that the guy is a stupid asshole.

Balor/SS1535

I've never heard of this project before.  I like the low and heavy drone at the backdrop of the music, and the looped vocal samples are really nice.

l.b.

remember hearing recently about reissue of that Advokat Ihrer Hoheit lp, but don't recall any details. does anyone know?

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: l.b. on August 06, 2019, 08:17:57 PM
remember hearing recently about reissue of that Advokat Ihrer Hoheit lp, but don't recall any details. does anyone know?

Last update was that it's cancelled

bitewerksMTB

The label posted that AIH was taking way too long getting the artwork ready. It's too bad. Listening to it now & it's better than I remembered. Maybe a German label will have better luck dealing with the artist for a reissue in the future.

acsenger

I played the Terror CD last night for the first time in years and it's indeed a good album. It's quite surprising it was also released as part of the Pure series — without checking what else is in that series now, from memory it focused on noise and somewhat noisy experimental music, but not this kind of heavy electronics.

Zeno Marx

Without looking at Discogs, I believe they do a quality live set on the Festival Karlsruhe tape set.  Advokat Ihrer Hoheit has a live set on Heavy Electronics - Two Days of Agony, but I don't remember it.  Must not stand out like the LP does.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

I was flipping through records last night & came across the Drape Excrement LP. I think that guy ran Art Konkret. I didn't pull the record but I'm guessing it's similar to everything that has been discussed- heavy low-end, samples, etc.

murderous_vision

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 06, 2019, 08:40:14 PM
The label posted that AIH was taking way too long getting the artwork ready. It's too bad. Listening to it now & it's better than I remembered. Maybe a German label will have better luck dealing with the artist for a reissue in the future.

From my understanding, he insisted on re-recording the whole album instead of remastered. That had high potential for total failure. Maybe it would have been sweet? Who knows...

murderous_vision

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 08, 2019, 03:38:09 AM
I was flipping through records last night & came across the Drape Excrement LP. I think that guy ran Art Konkret. I didn't pull the record but I'm guessing it's similar to everything that has been discussed- heavy low-end, samples, etc.
Yes, Drape Excrement is Markus from A.K. He has also assisted with Soldnergeist from time to time I believe.

Leatherface

Quote from: murderous_vision on August 09, 2019, 12:27:57 AM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on August 06, 2019, 08:40:14 PM

From my understanding, he insisted on re-recording the whole album instead of remastered. That had high potential for total failure. Maybe it would have been sweet? Who knows...

I think you're right. He've asked a big amount of money to re-record (damn what a Strange idea) it, and don't give any news anymore.