Death Metal

Started by seventhcircle, July 15, 2019, 11:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acsenger

It's not death metal but grindcore, but since there appears to be no thread for grind, I'm writing in this one: there's an album just out by the strangely named No One Knows What The Dead Think, whose lineup is 2/3 Discordance Axis: Jon Chang, Rob Marton plus a Japanese drummer. It's pretty much a continuation of the last D.A. album. It takes a number of plays to really get to know the songs (10 in total, with one being a pointless 1-minute sample of a man talking in Japanese, and a D.A. cover). Marton's style is instantly recognisable (although he's written somewhat more complex material this time than in D.A.): instead of rehashing Discharge-like riffs like so many grindcore bands, he has his own style of often unusual and sometimes melodic metallic riffing. Some tracks are stronger than others, but overall it's an excellent release. Too bad it's apparently the only one they will have.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: acsenger on October 03, 2019, 07:09:12 PM
It's not death metal but grindcore, but since there appears to be no thread for grind, I'm writing in this one: there's an album just out by the strangely named No One Knows What The Dead Think, whose lineup is 2/3 Discordance Axis: Jon Chang, Rob Marton plus a Japanese drummer. It's pretty much a continuation of the last D.A. album. It takes a number of plays to really get to know the songs (10 in total, with one being a pointless 1-minute sample of a man talking in Japanese, and a D.A. cover). Marton's style is instantly recognisable (although he's written somewhat more complex material this time than in D.A.): instead of rehashing Discharge-like riffs like so many grindcore bands, he has his own style of often unusual and sometimes melodic metallic riffing. Some tracks are stronger than others, but overall it's an excellent release. Too bad it's apparently the only one they will have.

Thanks for writing the above. I'd been putting off checking this out since it became available online. Having heard the instrumental demos I was interested but wary. Discordance Axis is such an important band to me that everything I approach all of the members output since with cautious optimism. Gridlink was very good, certainly satisfying, with the first CD being the best IMO. Hayaino Daisuki was fun but insubstantial. And now there's this album with it's very boring artwork, at least from the online pics and silly project name. the song titles hit all the right weeb notes but it's hard to imagine lightning will strike again after so many years. I listened to the record on bandcamp yesterday 4 times in a row to get a feel but I'm undecided. The best song is the DA cover and the rest seems to lacks the urgency of DA or Gridlink. The insane speed, the sinew and marrow production sound, the batshit vocals, it's not on display here. I'll probably pick up the actual record before the years end and I certainly enjoy it but it's hard not to compare it to DA's work. I wonder if I'd care if this was a new, unrelated band or if I'm just forcing my self to dig it because of the connections. Obviously musicians evolve and new projects should have their own identity but since so much of the identity feels borrowed from earlier, better work I can't help but slightly disappointed.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

acsenger

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on October 04, 2019, 09:19:32 PM
Thanks for writing the above. I'd been putting off checking this out since it became available online. Having heard the instrumental demos I was interested but wary. Discordance Axis is such an important band to me that everything I approach all of the members output since with cautious optimism. Gridlink was very good, certainly satisfying, with the first CD being the best IMO. Hayaino Daisuki was fun but insubstantial. And now there's this album with it's very boring artwork, at least from the online pics and silly project name. the song titles hit all the right weeb notes but it's hard to imagine lightning will strike again after so many years. I listened to the record on bandcamp yesterday 4 times in a row to get a feel but I'm undecided. The best song is the DA cover and the rest seems to lacks the urgency of DA or Gridlink. The insane speed, the sinew and marrow production sound, the batshit vocals, it's not on display here. I'll probably pick up the actual record before the years end and I certainly enjoy it but it's hard not to compare it to DA's work. I wonder if I'd care if this was a new, unrelated band or if I'm just forcing my self to dig it because of the connections. Obviously musicians evolve and new projects should have their own identity but since so much of the identity feels borrowed from earlier, better work I can't help but slightly disappointed.

After about 15 or so listens, I'm also not saying it's an instant classic, but it's an enjoyable release with some really good tracks. With this lineup and their style, comparing them to D.A. is inevitable, but I for one like this album more than the last D.A. album, because I hate how bad the drums sound on that one. I'm probably alone with this opinion, since The Inalienable Dreamless is generally considered one of the best grindcore albums of all time, but for me grindcore works only if the blastbeats have punch. On TID you can barely hear them. It's a shame, since with better production I'd love that album. Production-wise the NNWTDT album is at least excellent in my view.

martialgodmask

I used to love DA, I've just had a listen to this new album and it's fine for what it is but I get that feeling of wanting to enjoy it out of duty rather than it properly pressing the right buttons for me.

DSOL

the new Blood Incantation is massive - I never cared for the band until recently, always found them boring before seeing them live and was blown away. still think the first couple of records are boring and don't truly capture the band, but the new changes all of that
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

holy ghost

Quote from: DSOL on October 07, 2019, 04:35:41 PM
the new Blood Incantation is massive - I never cared for the band until recently, always found them boring before seeing them live and was blown away. still think the first couple of records are boring and don't truly capture the band, but the new changes all of that

Great to hear - I've already pre-ordered my copy. I love the first two and seeing them live was out of sight. Can't wait for.... November?

DSOL

yeah November - but there was a screw up when they first had the pre-orders up on the bandcamp and the full album went to them digitally so that' how I've heard it early. looking forward to seeing them again 2 weeks with Immolation

Zeno Marx

Always curious and up for hearing Chang & Co.'s new, but I'm one of those assward traditionalists who goes into them hoping they'll return to the raw craziness of Ulterior and the split 7" with Def.Master.  For me, that recording session is the Change benchmark.  I think what they did after that is cool and all, but I never think to listen to any of it unless something else prompts me from a remote association.  I appreciate the forward thinking, but that doesn't mean it ends up a milestone in my own listening.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

https://p2loggia.bigcartel.com/product/unborn-salivate-paraphiliac-orgiastic-atonement-lp

Got this in the mail yesterday - THIS is what all you sick fucks are gonna need to close out your 2019 "best of" lists.

DSOL

Quote from: holy ghost on October 25, 2019, 10:36:50 PM
https://p2loggia.bigcartel.com/product/unborn-salivate-paraphiliac-orgiastic-atonement-lp

Got this in the mail yesterday - THIS is what all you sick fucks are gonna need to close out your 2019 "best of" lists.

one of my favorite records this year

DSOL

seen Blood Incantation Wednesday night and I don't know how many more dates are left on the tour with Immolation but if you like them at all, do not miss the show. they were incredible, last time I saw them was with Cannibal Corpse in a very large venue and a huge stage and it didn't seem to fit them at all - this time was a much smaller venue, they played 3 songs from the new record (yes the 18 minute song was one of them but they cut out the beginning and cut it down to 13 or so minutes) one track from Starspawn and one from Interdimensional Extinction, having already listen to the new record repeatedly hearing them live was something else - totally crushing live

holy ghost

I saw Blood Incantation the last time they toured - I skipped the show last night as I am up at 5:30 on weekdays but damn I am a little jealous - they ripped last time!!

I have pre-ordered the new LP but haven't even really streamed it yet. Waiting for the mood to really strike. I'm in full on gore mode these days with the Fetid, Cerebral Roy and that new Unborn Salivate getting all the play.

DSOL

seen Fetid & Cerebral Rot a few weeks ago and got the best Cerebral Rot hat. its their logo shit color brown but they screen it on purpose filling in a lot of the empty spaces within the logo to make it almost look like a piece of shit -

ashraf

xxp Love the 'Cerebral Roy' typo. New username? Either way, CR rips!

holy ghost

Quote from: ashraf on October 26, 2019, 01:26:12 AM
xxp Love the 'Cerebral Roy' typo. New username? Either way, CR rips!

Didn't even see that - I wish my name WAS Roy....