On byNWR.com - Tights Worship: The Processes of THE RITA

Started by THE RITA HN, July 02, 2019, 01:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE RITA HN

ON BYNWR.COM - TIGHTS WORSHIP: THE PROCESSES OF THE RITA. SOUND: THE RITA | VIDEO: MIKE MCKINLAY | TEXT: KIER-LA JANISSE. Last year I was asked by my friend and renowned writer / producer Kier-La Janisse to build a 10 minute harsh noise track based on my choice of 1960s American sexploitation for a series she was curating for Nicolas Winding Refn's byNWR website. I chose director Whit Boyd's SPIKED HEELS AND BLACK NYLONS from 1967. The project expanded when Kier-La was talking to Nicolas about the project: "I had to pitch him not just on the content but the various contributors to, their history, approach etc. I told him about the various obsessions I've seen you go through over the years – the Creature, giallo, sharks, frogmen, etc - and how now you're obsessed with ballet and ballerinas' mangled feet. And he became kind of obsessed with you and your process. So he wants not only the sound piece you will make, he wants to know if we can make a video, documenting you making it, and also being interviewed about your various obsessions, fetishes etc." The resulting piece on BYNWR is the harsh noise track, writing by Kier-La and a 27 minute documentary that follows my processes of making the track while tracing my various influences and concepts that have built THE RITA. The documentary is filmed and directed by my award winning cinematographer brother Mike McKinlay and features brief appearances from Kelly Davis (dancer in THE RITA - Choreography to Cracked Linear Sound), Rhea Montpetit (source recording for the Spiked Heels harsh noise material) and Kristin Hayter / Lingua Ignota (source recording video she created for the earlier THE RITA 'Toe Cleavage' box set). The audio, writing and documentary are found at bynwr.com in the 'EXPRESSWAY' section.

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

holy ghost

Really enjoyed the entire video. Definitely worth watching!

KillToForget

Really great video.
It took me a while to find it, but I really didn't mind. There's such a great selection of articles and films on that site. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on it.

holy ghost

Quote from: KillToForget on July 04, 2019, 04:44:39 AM
It took me a while to find it

Oh I'm glad it wasn't just me! I had to resort to google it to find it in the end.

DSOL

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

cbholmes85

This was great to watch.  I really enjoy seeing some of the process and thinking involved as an artist puts together their work.

Thanks for taking the time to put this out.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Very insightful, I guess I never realized how deeply personal the source material was to him. It really hits hearing about it from the artist himself. I really appreciated the explanation of the transformative process from a select obsession into a highly stylized expression of sound.

slagfrenzy tapes

I just got round to watching this.
Well recorded and edited.

Rita made noise using a pedal board of effects, like we can do.
Rita used movie samples like we can do.

Rita uses his short pants and booties until..

Half way through, when the nylons come out.

disappointmendisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointment

Rita did not take his booties off and put the nylons on.

What the fuck. How can you expect a woman to understand why you want this, if you can't on camera?

I shit you not.

Why did you not put tha nylons on, why did you not record your emotions, and sound. Why did you just slap yr recording on a generic noise?

I shit you not

disappointmendisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointmentdisappointment

Theodore

^ Why dont you keep your advices for yourself and do something like we cant do ?
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

slagfrenzy tapes

Tights have an unusual sound, a noise.
I've tried tights, I don't like the feel or noise of them.
Because of this, I expected an exploration of the feel and sound of tights.
I was disappointed to see that Rita used the recordings of tights and then distorted that sound. For me the clean sound of tights is unnerving, why did Rita not run the clean sound of tights over the crunchy sounds he made?
The dancer that interpreted the sounds is also worthy of appreciation. Nice work.

slagfrenzy tapes

Quote from: Theodore on October 30, 2020, 10:09:18 AM
^ Why dont you keep your advices for yourself and do something like we cant do ?

Did you know inhaling tobacco smoke releases benzene into your body. Benzene causes leukemia, increases the risk of other cancers and is believed to be dangerous at any level of exposure?