DJ SCREW - LIVE SLOW cassette reissue

Started by Neons Fanzine, June 27, 2019, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neons Fanzine

PRE-ORDER tonight 10pm Paris hour. 4pm in NYC. 1pm in LA. 6am in Melbourne....

http://neonspublishing.limitedrun.com/

C60.
Light blue cover. 160 grams paper.
Red cassette.
Handmade, one by one.
+ POSTER

"Screwed and Chopped'' is common knowledge, used all the time for every shitty slowed down songs. But like Scarface from the Geto Boys said ''Screw was a man, so how can anything be 'screwed' if he's no longer with us?''.
Born Robert Earl Davis in 1971 in Smithville, Texas. DJ Screw was found dead in his studio in Houston on November 16 2000, from an overdose of codeine mixed with Valium and PCP. But during his short life, he put out more mixtapes than any DJ, creating a whole new style of music that leads him to earn the nickname of ''The Originator''.
Read the article on DJ Screw published on Neons here, with quotes from Screw's longtime friends : http://neonsfanzine.blogspot.com/2016/10/dj-screw_74.html

I've chosen 8 tracks over all my favorites from DJ Screw mixtapes for this cassette. The first one is "Keep Your Head Up" by Above The Law, and if I'm correct, it's the type of songs rappers were sending directly to DJ Screw to screw and chop them, so there is no track of the "original" recording. Anyway, this one is eery... Out of body experiences may happen. Favorite, no doubt. "Westside, Gangsta, & the Drug Dealer", I put it even though the sound is weirder to mix, because it's the perfect example of DJ Screw's technique, his precision,his professionalism.  He could feel everything. He's letting the song play and at one point just go back to the beginning and chop the song like crazy, screw it with style, put back the word or the sentence or whole verse all over again, so precise, no sloppy move with him. He's God. He's Screw.

Tracklist:
- SIDE A
Keep Your Head Up - Above The Law
The Gangsta, The Killa & The Drug Dealer - Westside Connection
Picture Me Rollin' - Tupac
Realest Rhymin' - E.S.G. & Lil Flip
Excerpts of local TV report + rare Screw and SUC members itw by Pimp C (U.G.K.) at the Screw shop

- SIDE B
One Day - UGK
Killin' Em Up - C-Bo
The World Of Mine - Big Mike
Still DRE - Dr Dre

DJ Screw, rest in piece.