The New Luddities

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 05, 2010, 11:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I had listened the track "New Luddities" from Con-Dom for ages. Then some discussion in UK years ago already, someone asked you know what were Luddities, and I was like "uh?"... Well, the briefing of the spot made me to do more research. I read some pamphlets published by Finnish anarchists as well as various www information.

I just happened to google for "new luddities", and what I could find was about australian journalist, who was working on piece called "The New Luddities":

Kath has contributed journalistic features to The Age, The Courier-Mail,  Art Monthly, the Law Institute Journal and Good Weekend (for which she won a Melbourne Press Club award). Her essays have also appeared in journals including Griffith Review, Meanjin, Eyeline and Overland.

Topic
Low-tech social movements
Kath's PhD thesis investigates the beliefs, motivations, organisation and political consequence of DIY technology subcultures in Australia.

Candidacy
PhD

Supervisors
Professor Klaus Neumann and Professor Julian Thomas

Anyone who hasn't heard about the moment, well, brief look into wikipedia always helps, hah:
Quote from: wikipediaThe Luddites were a social movement of British textile artisans in the early nineteenth century who protested—often by destroying mechanized looms—against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt were leaving them without work and changing their entire way of life.

This English historical movement should be seen in the context of the era's harsh economic climate due to the Napoleonic Wars, and the degrading working conditions in the new textile factories. Since then, however, the term Luddite has been used derisively to describe anyone opposed to (or perceived to be opposed to) technological progress and technological change.

The Luddite movement, which began in 1811 and 1812 when mills and pieces of factory machinery were burned by handloom weavers, took its name from the fictive Ned Ludd. For a short time the movement was so strong that it clashed in battles with the British Army. Measures taken by the British government included a mass trial at York in 1812 that resulted in many executions and penal transportations.

The principal objection of the Luddites was against the introduction of new wide-framed automated looms that could be operated by cheap, relatively unskilled labour, resulting in the loss of jobs for many skilled textile workers.

You find some interesting texts about "neo luddism" as well.

While I'm in some cases, like here, with the internet forum, possibly taking advantage of pretty new technology, I can see the sense in context of art and lets say "craftmanship" in general. Where I do dislike ideas that I can't soon fix my car, since it needs some computer connection by authorized dealer to rip me off, where I can't get service from man when I go to places, where everything is automized and whole society left to hands of unskilled puppets, I'm still kind of ".. nah, who cares". But when I think of art, where technological advancement has replacement craftmanship and artistic creativity and reduced it to machine lead cheap imititations & replications. It sounds like industrial revolution taking over, and traditional talents being lost little by little. While original industrial music somehow praised the idea of... well, industrial music. Where it indeed is industrial product. But at that time technological situation wasn't yet allowing it to be more than result of innovations and difficult manual craftmanship. Where situation is different now. Even bands like Vivenza who claimed to be totally inhuman non-music, just sound of machines, sounds organic & clever when compared to modern digital age.

I'm tempted by the route of luddities. To destroy the new machine, in aim to cultivate skill & craftmanship in traditional means. Well, being cheap bastard, I simply won't destroy machines what works, but indeed I have given away some things like digital synths and some effects etc. due feeling they will do more harm than good if I ever mistakingly start over using them. Same goes to recording technic. I invested 1500 euro for huge multi-track digital recorder to do complex (music) recordings. I received it 2 years ago, and I have not dared to open package. Meanwhile recorded albums with old methods. I'd hope to sell it away, but value probably decreased meanwhile drastically. It is probably worst purchase I have ever done, when thinking of the extreme loss of money due mental difficulty to start using it.. or even open the pack once.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

"Down with all kings but King Lud!"

Friend of mine did a radio documentary on the Luddites. They where and no doubt still are much admired by the anarchist movement because of their basically labour activities. Some English folks on this forum could have more history; I'd hope there'd be local place names, pubs, etc. commemorating the Luddites.

In the English language a "luddite" is usually a term of abuse; someone who doesn't care much for some new piece of technology and is therefore out of touch with this wonderful modern society we all so benefit from.

And I was almost relieved to read about your digital recorder, because I made the same mistake as well. Paid over a grand for a flash, shiny new 8-track digital multitrack only to discover it could only records a few minutes of mixed-down material due to the restrictions of memory. Biggest waste of money I ever made. Years later, I did the smart thing: just brought a decent sized computer and use my 4-track as the mixer and input.
Shikata ga nai.

GEWALTMONOPOL

I see releasing tapes as a low level luddite activity. It forces the listener to play a more active part as opposed to the soulless downloads available at the click of a mouse. It's also harder for people to upload and spread to the masses via the internet. Not impossible but some effort will have to be made unlike the CD/CD-r which is ripped and uploaded in a matter of minutes.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

heretogo

Here's some links about the subject:

http://sniggle.net/ludd.php

The big name in anarcho-primitivism is (or was, at least) John Zerzan. I remember there being a pretty big chasm in anarchist circles some years ago, people like Zerzan, Bob Black and the whole Anarchy: A Journal of Desire Armed -crew vs. the more "anarcho-leftists" guys like Bookchin and others. Although this happened mostly in America, I think the primitivist scene is at its strongest there.

I recall Zerzan having written some pretty good essays. Not really politically powerful in any practical sense of the word, but quite good reads nonetheless.

Plague Haus

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on January 05, 2010, 02:17:52 PM
I see releasing tapes as a low level luddite activity. It forces the listener to play a more active part as opposed to the soulless downloads available at the click of a mouse. It's also harder for people to upload and spread to the masses via the internet. Not impossible but some effort will have to be made unlike the CD/CD-r which is ripped and uploaded in a matter of minutes.

Amen! That's the same way I feel about vinyl. Although I admit I'm also a huge Ipod fan since my best listening is done on my daily commute (1-2/2 - 2 hrs).

Strömkarlen

Quote from: heretogo on January 05, 2010, 10:49:56 PM
I recall Zerzan having written some pretty good essays. Not really politically powerful in any practical sense of the word, but quite good reads nonetheless.

You might want to check out Against Civilization edited by Zerzan. Maybe not the bomb I wanted, more like a firecracker. Still good one though.

Against Civilization
Readings and Reflections
Enlarged Edition
Edited By John Zerzan
Illustrations by R.L. Tubbesing

With mass poisonings, global warming and other tidings of contemporary civilization threatening the planet, shouldn't we begin to reconsider our unthinking attachment to it?

Feral House's new expanded edition of Against Civilization adds 18 new essays and feral illustrations by R.L. Tubbesing to the contemporary classic that provides 67 thought-provoking looks into the dehumanizing core of modern civilization, and the ideas that have given rise to the anarcho-primitivist movement. The editor of this compelling anthology is John Zerzan, author of Running on Emptiness (Feral House) and Future Primitive.

http://feralhouse.com/press/againstcivilization/

FreakAnimalFinland

I think I still have copies of that book available in Sarvilevyt! So if any finns take interest in the subject matter.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: heretogo on January 05, 2010, 10:49:56 PMThe big name in anarcho-primitivism is (or was, at least) John Zerzan. I remember there being a pretty big chasm in anarchist circles some years ago, people like Zerzan, Bob Black and the whole Anarchy: A Journal of Desire Armed -crew vs. the more "anarcho-leftists" guys like Bookchin and others. Although this happened mostly in America, I think the primitivist scene is at its strongest there.

I don't think Bob Black was an "anarcho-primitivist", but he was very against the more leftist and syndicalist anarchists (had a big blue with the Processed World people). There is also the Green Anarchist movement in England, very much anarcho-primitivist. I'm sure Europe has it's fair share of anti-technological anarchos as well.

Quote from: TheGreatEcstasy on January 05, 2010, 02:17:52 PM

Cassettes are just as technological as anything else. Plus, you have to rely on a company to print them off for you, if you're going to make decent sounding ones. The Luddites where about having control of the means of production for themselves, being able to produce things with your own tools.
Shikata ga nai.

heretogo

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 05, 2010, 11:52:50 PM
Plus, you have to rely on a company to print them off for you, if you're going to make decent sounding ones. The Luddites where about having control of the means of production for themselves, being able to produce things with your own tools.

Well, to go totally off-topic and audiophile on you... Get yourself a good deck, make sure it's up to spec, use quality tapes, adjust the bias to the tape brand you're using and I guarantee you will be making much better dubs than any commercial service you can find. Won't help much if the idiots you sell them to will play them on boomboxes, though. But such is life.

Andrew McIntosh

Been thinking of doing just that.

Also, Ben from Cathartic should be on this thread, he's pretty much a neo-Luddite. He'd have some good suggestions for books to investigate.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

I love cassettes, but the industrial process to make the stratum is no "archaic" deal.  I used to work in a steel mill.  Part of my responsibility was monitoring and weighing these 3 ton bags of this ferric compound, which was a byproduct of coating steel wire so it wouldn't rust out in the stockyard.  I later found that that most of it was sold to BASF and used in the process of making audio tape.  Modern industrial complex.  Don't fool yourself.  They're cool little mechanical mechanisms, no question.

I will continue to be baffled by the general, anti-, vitriolic atmosphere MP3s* create within underground music communities.  It's evident how powerful consumerism, materialism, and the delivery paradigm is to the past few generations.  They laid out the rules and structure, and we jumped into it like fish to water; worst yet we continue to cling to it like they're threatening to cut off the oxygen we breathe.  We are pawns.  Period.  Some lesser.  Some more so.  Still, all pawns.

*I use that in quotes as a generic term for all forms of file encoding.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

GEWALTMONOPOL

I think we can all agree that by todays technical standards they are widely considered obsolete and if not then at least a thing of the past.

Yes we are all more or less pawns. As unflattering as it may be (to myself as well as some others) I admit to being attached to many of my wordly belongings. But surely the introduction of MP3 does nothing to change our status as the eternal pawns in the hands of those who call the shots? Just because fewer people wish to hold the music they like in their hands hasn't made them less materialistic.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

RANT WARNING!

Quote from: wiki
In his work on English history, The Making of the English Working Class, E. P. Thompson presented an alternative view of Luddite history. He argues that Luddites were not opposed to new technology in itself, but rather to the abolition of set prices and therefore also to the introduction of the free market.

Thompson argues that it was the newly-introduced economic system that the Luddites were protesting. Thompson cites the many historical accounts of Luddite raids on workshops where some frames were smashed whilst others (whose owners were obeying the old economic practice and not trying to cut prices) were left untouched. This would clearly distinguish the Luddites from someone who was today called a luddite; whereas today a luddite would reject new technology because it is new, the Luddites were acting from a sense of self-preservation rather than merely fear of change.

and about neo-luddism:

QuoteNeo-luddism does not equate necessarily to outright technophobia and includes the critical examination of the effects technology has on individuals and communities.

To me it would sound, that it's not all about just simply destroying the machine. And for example relying on tape or vinyl, would be method of new luddities (which is the topic, instead of old luddities). For reasons of preserving suitable aesthetics, preserving desirable sound. There exists independent vinyl factories. Who work with machinery that is to high decree manual work of skilled professionals. Not just guy pushing a button. In same way, working with tapes, is something that is work of talented people. It's not simply automation. All these demand craftmanship and vision to be working with tools. How vinyl records are played, is pretty much with tools what almost anyone can build. They need few basic parts to do it, which are manufactured by many smaller companies around the world who probably do it for other reasons than fast consumer product for mass.
I got speakers that are hand made in Finland. By small company who is specialized on hi-fi speakers. Couple guys working not so far away from here. It's technology, but it isn't just some faceless corporate machine, but done by those with labor or love & skill.
Of course, I don't fool myself. Many, if not all, of there belong to chain, which in end leads to some huge corporation, who creates some of the the original components or at least the plain raw metal, wood and plastic you use. But I think that isn't the problem of even original luddities.

One can think of independent photographer. There can be guy, who buys the latest short life canon pocket cadget, through cable transfer image to his fujitsu siemens computer, works it a bit with photoshop like all the artists of today, and uploads it to some big servers on 72dpi resolution for someone to view for free. It seems that many people and useless dead weight have been dropped out: Independent from big film factories, photo developers, big paper producers, chemical factories, plenty of unnecessary tools etc. But it was merely changed, not really dropped. The guy who works with Canon professional camera, shoots of film, or shoots large scale images that can be printed on film, to go through chemical process to get image appear on paper, result just is different. You can decide how many steps back to take. Rejecting film and shooting directly on paper. Rejecting all automation (AF, flash etc). Rejecting modern day cameras. Rejecting readily made photopapers. Even rejecting lenz, just shoot through needle hole. But I'm sure the luddities, when making their works, didn't reject everything. They didn't simply advocate work with bare hands like monkeys, but tools obviously necessary. The tools that underlined things like artistic craftmanship, local economic survival, etc. You can find similar links in making recordings, listening recordings, making and experiencing artwork.

I do like the original hand made, hand assembled piece of art. I can't take very "seriously" mp3 or jpeg image. It may work as introduction, but it feels very strange to me to advocate experience of art to happen via computers as great thing. Can you experience sculpture from looking at tumbnail image online? Of course. But I do prefer book. Or the real thing. Also printed image of painting is basically flattened and one-dimensionaled version, but servers is pretty well. But often keeps you amazed to see actual piece of work live, where you can see hand crafted qualities and immense talent. Which wasn't so obvious when image was reduced into tiny compressed image.
Of course mp3 done well, won't change the sound as much. But I prefer to listen to sound from format and with tools it seems designed contribute it. I don't find much of revolutionary independece in form of having to rely on files transmitted by hi-tech tools perhaps only biggest companies in market are making? With product that is pretty much unrepairable, short age, problem waste?

In deed, I took mp3 player from friend. He traded it to 1 cd. I thought, it's cheap, why not. I have never, even put batteries in it. Now, years later I wonder where it is, so I could maybe pass it to someone who could use it. But I guess those old mp3 players are out already. People with ipods and phones. I was recommended by many nowadays comic artists to start use the virtual pen. Or whatever it is called. Flat surface you connect on computer, and draw with pen. With photoshop, it isn't like mouse, but you can actually operate it just like brush. Thick and heavy, thin and delicate. Yeah, I invested, luckily not much. And that it was used also on girlfriend clothing/accessory designer work. Anyway, I must admit that it requires plenty of motoric skills and getting used to, but for fucks sake, if you imitate ink & brush strokes on photoshop screen, with this piece of electronics in your hand, can it be any faggier than that? For sake of easy upload to your doodle blog....  Perhaps I should not talk anymore about purchases. It is depressing reading. That's why I like to stick on tools at hand.

One can say it saves paper, it saves ink, you don't waste anything real. Yeah. Real. Result is just artificial in first place. It is compromise far from actual brush and texture of paper and consistency of ink or colors. That one felt this compromise is necessary since didn't bother to do difficult & time consuming process... yeah. That's the starting point of problem.  Talking of recording, I have a feeling that I have heard lately quite many "distant" recordings. Perhaps thanks to new digital hand recorders. The cheap ones. That have automated recording volume inputs, and while the guy with 4 track, could just throw dynamic mic's next to blasting amplifiers, spread them out to targets of sound, sometimes these new recorders seems like placed "somewhere". Just far enough to ruin recording with build-in condensator mics starting to distort. Easiness of tool, suddenly removing the little necessary "craftmanship". The process, what wasn't about "throwing recorder somewhere", but placing all elements to place you gain the results you wanted. With new opportunity might come restrictions. And all related to easiness of mass market product and mentality it creates?

alpharmania

I remember reading some primitivist / new luddite zine I think was called "Speciestraitor". Had some good articles in it...
Strömkarlen: John Zerzan is now published (I think for the first time) in Swedish by Anarchos. "Maskinernas skymning": http://www.anarchos.se/product_info.php/products_id/41
What about more extreme people like Linkola? He held a very interesting lecture on Finlandsinstitutet in Stockholm 2002... I have photos + tape recording somewhere... easiest is to read here http://djupekologi.blogspot.com/2006/04/djupekologens-abc-om-tillstndet-i.html

LIFE

I don't know how much this applies to any kind of "neo-Luddite" philosophy, but I see the worship/collecting of vintage methods and equipment in the same light as any sort of modern techno-hunger. It's entirely different when, for example, a manual laborer has to worry about being replaced by a machine or an otherwise economic concern, but for artists it tends to be more fetishistic and based either on preserving an aesthetic (which I support fully) or simply working a half-baked political "angle" (no support)

It also takes someone who is truly a product of modern decadence to make an outspoken "neo-Luddite" philosophy a priority. Not much different from the trust-fund hippie that's so often stereotyped. There are just so many layers involved that create a self-contradictory environment, and that would be much more fatal to me as an artist than some piece of technology I don't feel the need to use.

The situation is also relative.... the type of equipment/processes that get fetishized today were obviously once "new technology", so you have to question whether someone with an anti-techno perspective would go back in time and start criticizing the very things they idealize today. Or if they just want to return to a completely animalistic "no technology whatsoever" world, I say good fucking luck.