Creating with a computer...

Started by MagBaX, June 18, 2019, 01:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagBaX

So, even though i would love to have some real equipment with me, i'm young and thus i don't have much money to spend on myself. So basically, what's some good software you use/know that can help me create some noisey shit?

A-Z

this is a pretty vague request
what do you already use and why do you feel it's not enough?

Eigen Bast

Pure data is great. Free, not too difficult to learn, but enormous potential.

https://puredata.info/

MagBaX

Quote from: A-Z on June 18, 2019, 02:28:51 AM
I just use the things that come with fl studio, as simple as that. But i sometimes feel limited by what they have to offer.

A-Z

Quote from: MagBaX on June 18, 2019, 04:42:08 AM
Quote from: A-Z on June 18, 2019, 02:28:51 AM
I just use the things that come with fl studio, as simple as that. But i sometimes feel limited by what they have to offer.

fl studio comes with a ridiculous amount of incredibly powerful tools - waveshaper, gross beat, love philter, effector, convolver, directwave, edison, harmor, sytrus, sakura, etc
and on top of that there's flowstone where you can design your own synths & fx from scratch
if you really know how to use what is already available in fl there is very little you can't do
the records that inspire you were likely made with way, way more limited sets of tools

getting a pile of fancy software you don't know what to do with instead of mastering what you already have is the main pitfall of working itb
and it will set you back in the long run

Soloman Tump

FL Studio is great, I have never felt limited by its potential.
Usually just limited by my own ideas.

If you want to create some real noisy shit then try importing some raw data into Audacity, like a .tmp or .bmp file.  It will be converted to a waveform for you to play with.

MagBaX

Thanks man, i actually used it in some older tracks

dodecaphonic

any DAW will do, make sure you have good sound sources and create your own sample libraries, and learn how to edit effectively

I think what the others said was good fruityloops was my first software you can do the same thing in any daw pretty much ableton - logic etc - learn to midi map and just experiment with the program learn the shortcuts and when you come up against a brick wall in the software search for the problem and move onto the next. Try not to get to caught up in tutorials and industry truthes
get a cheap 2in2out audio interface and some monitors speakers and a midi keyboard - doesn't have to be fancy.

don't worry about all those plugins and sample packs marketed to you just use what you have - and whats in the software
turn some knobs.

you can do it all in the box

Atrophist

I can't stand DAW's personally -- granted, I haven't spend a lot of time messing around with them anyway.

Many people here may very well hate me for this, but ios is imo the best platform for experimental music. The apps geared towards non-traditional ways of making music are cheap and plentiful there.

Balor/SS1535

Audacity is free and has a lot of effects and tools.  I have spent a good deal of time working with it, and you can get some decent noise out of it if you also have some interesting audio files to start with.  The only downside that I have found is that it sounds really "digital."  It is often too cold, and lacks easy ways to add dynamism to tracks.

Pigswill

Reaper is a fantastic DAW. It's supported on many platforms, is versatile, highly customizable, and comparatively cheap. You can actually use it for free forever without any feature limitations if you want. The only downside is that you get a nag screen on startup, but that's it. A license is only $60. Then, you can grab free effects and instruments from places like KVR Audio. Grab samples from anywhere, including any gear you might have already (even your phone. Modern mics are pretty decent). Plug all of that into various tracks and mess around and see what you can come up with.

Some less-conventional pieces of software may lend themselves better to noise and experimental sounds. For example, AudioMulch can make some interesting textures. That's been used by electronic artists like Nine Inch Nails (mostly around The Fragile era, I think) and Four Tet.

pentd

there are already some posts about this topic... then theres this one about plugins

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=6354.0

WhiteWarlock

Try VCVRack https://vcvrack.com/
personally use it on Linux yet works on most platforms...
can be extremely entertaining/addictive especially if you don't actually own hardware
or if want playing with potential module for adding in your rack
(try before you buy virtual style)
Reaper Version0.999 or whatever is free open source...
can post you link for old version if need
https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/reaper_99_(last_freeware_version),1.html
have habit of making my own sound designer software...
for using with my hardware
yet that's my trip & sound
~shrug~

Heya Sol... How did Trioxin treat you? Did you use it on any releases???
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE