NOISEXTRA - A podcast about noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 31, 2019, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 02, 2020, 11:04:14 AMAIPR is really nice label, he put out only handful of stuff. Kulture Shot, Gerogerigegege 7", Seven Minutes of Nausea 7",.... but MERZBOW Project Frequency LP!! It is fucking total blast. Right there with Noisembryo, Artificial Invagination and such. Just total slayer of harsh noise, in hand made wire-mesh/spray paint/silver foil print type of handmade but classy design
The regular edition is cooler than the wooden box version, and it NEEDS a reissue.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Latest episode really nice! I do appreciate that Noisextra takes opportunity to use online calls for making stuff. Even if sound quality is notch worse, it is decent enough. Only few random glitches here and there makes one lose word or two, but otherwise sound quality is perfectly fine for noise podcast!

So, what they have available is:

https://www.noisextra.com/2020/07/22/in-conversation-with-black-leather-jesus/

2 hour long talk with two guys.

Ramirez has gotten plenty of "podcast attention" before, but he also has so much to talk about. There is some cross-over of information with former interviews, but it is often told in new ways, adding details. Like early recording methods are being discussed deeper, current day recording methods as well. Content, label deals etc.
There is funny moment when Ramirez mentions that thing he doesn't like with labels, is that they request specially some particular type of sound for release. And that it might not be his favorite type of sound, but label basically places order for very specific sound. And offers like that have been common.

Freak Animal did some of that. I recall also mr. Zeno Marxs' label Recalcitrant Noise asked him to do "material like I keep my stuff inside" for split LP with Alchemy of the 20th Century? I don't recall "ordering" anything that specific for FA (but might have), but for example Richard Ramirez "Tracking Device" was hoped to be more constructed material than plain noise. Not that plain noise of RR would be less good, but it was mostly to stand out. I have obviously not heard all of RR, but it sounds slightly different from most of his works. Example track is perhaps less complex and sound of it ain't too good at youtube: https://youtu.be/MBBqIUG5ZPA

Modest irritation what may have caused for artist, may be good in getting brilliant releases done, hah..

From recent few episodes, all good.
Various Artists – Sounds of New Music with Aaron Dilloway is good stuff.
Nord – Electronic Initiation is kind of odd episode, when there are several things that I always thought was known by everybody. Like that Nord is primarily live recording unit, and their releases are pretty much always live music. It seems so clear when listening, or perhaps it is illusion of knowing it is live recordings? This CD is odd. 300 copies done sooo many years ago and you can still grab it for dirt cheap prices. While almost similar size LP editions from decade earlier goes for hundreds... and have been already even bootlegged.
Tangerine Dream – Zeit - some years ago I made decision that I can live without TD stuff, and sold the LP's I had. Same for kraut stuff in general. Yet, last year I just had feeling that no no no... and had to order the early years CD box set. Since then ZEIT was listened multiple times and while I will never really cite Tangerine Dream as any kind of personal influence for what I do, it simply is very good album of its style and compact CD box set fits somewhere in my piles of.. stuff.
Speculum Fight – Highball is another episode when the core unit of Noisextra talks about it themselves, but also got Romero to send in few written nuggets of info about recordings/live shows. If there was possible to get Romero to in-person interview, it would rule. One would really want to hear about old gigs, his work in general, also possibly his role in The Haters and such. Not to mention what he is up now. I recall doing noise DJ'ing for radio?
Dissecting Table – Between Life and Death. This is one of the best DT stuff. Of course the Ultra Point Of Intersection Exist LP is phenomenal. Between Life and Death is darker and slower. I felt that till 1996 material was so perfect, and 1997-2002 it seemed to start recycle too much of the same. And later on shifted style into something I was not so interested in. I do have several more recent DT, but they never had same 100% unique and recognizeable sound. Also, how could you not like band who did performance called "dead body and me"?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Just getting to the BLJ interview.  I don't think I asked for material exactly like I Keep My Stuff Inside.  I believe I worded it as I really liked that material and asked if he had anything else recorded in that realm, or maybe any intentions for more ambient-like material because I was putting together an ambient split.  The difference, at least I as remember the conversation, is that I wasn't putting in an order for X style of material; though if I did, and an artist doesn't like that kind of offer, my question would be:  why did you accept the offer?  I'm not trying to play semantics here.  I don't think of creativity as to-order, and I can certainly see why that would be frowned upon.  Again, "No thanks.  We don't like to do that."  Kind of a simple remedy.  Honestly, I doubt I would have heard that part of the interview in relation to the split LP if FreakAnimalFinland hadn't mentioned it.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

theworldisawarfilm

Latest episode and interview with Joe Colley, very excited to give it a listen. Nice to be getting some more interview-based episodes, hopefully a trend which continues.

Eigen Bast

It is a very pleasant and warm conversation. Some great insight into early tape trading scenes and recording methods.

Joe has put some old Crawl Unit/Povertech releases up @ the Issues webshop-stoked to get a copy of Future in Reverse for an affordable price. Everyone Gets What they Deserve is also available and truly excellent.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Agree that the interview format for the podcast is a great direction. Colley is very humble and his un-assuming nature is so funny. He gives off an anxious vibe of, noise is a thing I do and it's weird other people talk about it or are interested. Some cool stories/scenarios mentioned and wish he went into more detail or had a better recollection of some of it. Good listen and this kind of insight into Colley is a treat.

Side note: I love R.H.Y. Yau and he is almost never discussed. He was a big part of my initiation into noise and one of my favorites. It's cool to hear even a minuscule amount of information or mention of him. His solo work and the RYKE project with Endo will always be some of my favorite noise.

FreakAnimalFinland

Colley is great. I can fully understand the Colley's "nervous" presence. Constantly drumming with his hands, and there is barely sentence done without mild laughter, hah. It gives fun vibe to episode. It is also such a contrast to sort of... well, more theoretical, stuff. I'd say you simply can hear it, that when he mentions some high profile, more "academic" guys horror of him showing he still used fostex 4-tracker instead of computer is pretty funny.
All the talk about era, when there was no "noise pedals". Now for some newbies it may be odd to realize than concept such as cheap mini synth was pretty much unheard in past. If they existed, you could be damn sure your local music store wouldn't be able to get them. Pedals the same thing. If there was available distortion, delay and perhaps chorus, you could be lucky.

That Colley/Crawl Unit "clay sounds" 7" is great. It should be commented even few times on this forum I think. It is my favorite of Colley 7"s and it is indeed credited for both in front cover: Crawl Unit / Joe Colley.

Small Japanese shop JNR they talk, is same as NEdS. It is in full operation still today. There exists VHS release of this gig. Noise Progression vol 1. VHS series on MSBR! This series is pretty damn intense, variety of a lot of live shows one can't really find anywhere else. Being Japanese, they were usually NTSC versions, but we did late 90's "trading rights" kind of thing with MSBR. So he got rights to sell the Freak Animal videos as NTSC and Freak Animal got PAL masters of first couple parts of this series and bunch of covers to use. I think I still got the white covers boxes as well as the original prints sent by Koji Tano, since I was too lazy to dub the vhs tapes more than handful...

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Zeno Marx

Quote from: accidental on August 10, 2020, 04:42:55 PM
When paying attention to reviews it's more about getting to know the reviewer (taste) than a detailed description of the actual work. When you have an idea of the taste of the reviewer it will be easier to approach what the person is reviewing. That's how it's for me personally.
I'm interested in this conversation.  Why a reviewer reviews like they do.  Are they trying to be helpful?  A creative outlet?  Writing etc like they wish "everyone" would.  And then developing a particular voice that then itself offers X, Y, and/or Z.  Has any thought gone into it, or "just do it"?  I reckon such a conversation would be on the dry side, but so many review styles baffle me.  When I walk away from a review and wonder if it told me anything at all about the actual subject, I'm then also left wondering why I read it and why they wrote or said it.  Anyway...yeah...review approach.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bruitiste

Quote from: accidental on August 10, 2020, 04:42:55 PMI actually enjoy Immerzbox as a great complement to Noisextra. The latter will hype just about anything. I love enthusiasm but it makes me question wtf i've turned on when old men sit and literally moan over a title called Bondage or whatever. Immerzbox creators obviously haven't done as many miles on the road of noise as Noisextra. So it's lacking some knowledge, language and context. But it's great fun hearing them trash all discs of the Merzbox even though my taste differs abit.
I've dutifully listened to every Immerzbox episode (as well as Noisextra/Merzcast) but boy can these two get annoying and pissy.  It can be an entertaining listen (which is why I've kept at it, plus curiosity) but as mentioned, they're not really that deep into the scene and a lot of what they have to say makes me question why they're doing this at all.  A lot of the time it seems to me that they don't even like, enjoy, or appreciate noise music one bit.  Anything beyond classic industrial seems too harsh for them.  They don't really try to understand it or see the appeal, and when that happens (and it happens a lot) they get outright dismissive.  Ok dude, we get it, you're sick of the phaser sounds and the "junk percussion"... carry on.

Not that Noisextra's overwhelming positivity is ideal, but the enthusiasm is infectious at least.  I gotta say though, ever since Greh admitted to hating crying baby sounds, I want them to do TLASILA's "Les Tricoteuses" just to have him squirm through the first track, hehe.  A great goddamn record regardless, and I hope they pick a good one like that when they get around to that project.

Duncan

Noisextra clearly excels when having a good guest. Am i the only one who can't stand (positive) reviews of track by track? I rather hear you tell me your personal history of how you found the artist etc than your opinion on each track. When paying attention to reviews it's more about getting to know the reviewer (taste) than a detailed description of the actual work. When you have an idea of the taste of the reviewer it will be easier to approach what the person is reviewing. That's how it's for me personally.

No, I think you've hit the nail here.  Personally I think the podcast is terrible when they don't have a guest. Despite their combined years of experience and expertise I just don't think they have much command of the language required to talk about noise and have it sound interesting to other people. It sounds like when a mate and I get together and talk casually about an album - fun for us, not for any of our nearby friends zoning out.  And this is fair enough too, it's a deceptively difficult thing to do well and it's the reason there are so few real writers and critics of this stuff.  When they have a central focus in the form of a guest then their style excels -  they create a really comfortable conversational atmosphere fuelled by genuine fascination and insight into the topic. They ask brilliant questions and let the person talk, sending you in directions of wanting to check things out. I think this is the format that really works for them and I hope they continue to do more guest shows.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 10, 2020, 06:07:24 PM
When paying attention to reviews it's more about getting to know the reviewer (taste) than a detailed description of the actual work. When you have an idea of the taste of the reviewer it will be easier to approach what the person is reviewing. That's how it's for me personally.
I'm interested in this conversation.  Why a reviewer reviews like they do.  Are they trying to be helpful?  A creative outlet?  Writing etc like they wish "everyone" would.  And then developing a particular voice that then itself offers X, Y, and/or Z.  Has any thought gone into it, or "just do it"?  I reckon such a conversation would be on the dry side, but so many review styles baffle me.  When I walk away from a review and wonder if it told me anything at all about the actual subject, I'm then also left wondering why I read it and why they wrote or said it.  Anyway...yeah...review approach.

I think about this every time I write a "review" in this forum or for SI in print or anywhere else. Why am I writing and for who?  What information am I actually trying to convey? Who is my intended audience? Does anyone read this shit? For better or worse I've become more interested in describing a release as it relates to me and my experiences than I am in detailing the sound when you might as well just listen to it if that's what you want. This is especially true when trying to review albums I've been listening to for years and years, like my most recent attempt at reviewing "Burned Mind" by Wolf Eyes. I unintentionally spent little time talking about the "sound" of the album and more time about how it relates to me or the "scene". And I did really have a lot I wanted to say about it beyond what I said.

I guess I don't reviews are actually useful to anyone unless they've got information beyond "Y song sounds like X thing". I'd rather just listen to the record myself. I am often plagued with the feeling that any kind of writing about any music or films is just total tosh that should be ignored so the listener/viewer can see things with a virgin mind.
But then I remember that many of the artists and records I've come to love have been explored to due reviews and discussion here or in other printed or spoken matter. And then there's the entirely different matter of Bloated Slutbag whose reviews are so comprehensive and descriptive its less of a review to me and more some type of noise prose/poetry.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Quote from: theotherjohn on August 11, 2020, 01:27:34 PMFor me, less is more when it comes to actually wanting to check out an album in the first place. 5 out of 5 stars. 95%. For fans of so-and-so, or so-and-so recommends it.
That's where I am, too.  I appreciate brevity.  Some of this stems from certain columns in Maximum Rock N' Roll covering a month of listens and reviews in a few paragraphs, but I think also covering entire discographies in a paragraph or two in The Crack in the Cosmic Egg.  Guidance and reference rather than explanation?  I'm not looking for reading material.  I'm looking for listening material.

Quote from: theotherjohn on August 11, 2020, 01:27:34 PM
If anything though, I'm more likely to read a long form review AFTER hearing something, even if it's just to please or disturb my confirmation bias. Preferably though, one written long after an album's release once the dust has settled in place.
the ol' confirmation bias
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Zeno Marx on August 11, 2020, 05:48:08 PM
Quote from: theotherjohn on August 11, 2020, 01:27:34 PMFor me, less is more when it comes to actually wanting to check out an album in the first place. 5 out of 5 stars. 95%. For fans of so-and-so, or so-and-so recommends it.
That's where I am, too.  I appreciate brevity.  Some of this stems from certain columns in Maximum Rock N' Roll covering a month of listens and reviews in a few paragraphs, but I think also covering entire discographies in a paragraph or two in The Crack in the Cosmic Egg.  Guidance and reference rather than explanation?  I'm not looking for reading material.  I'm looking for listening material.

Quote from: theotherjohn on August 11, 2020, 01:27:34 PM
If anything though, I'm more likely to read a long form review AFTER hearing something, even if it's just to please or disturb my confirmation bias. Preferably though, one written long after an album's release once the dust has settled in place.
the ol' confirmation bias

I typically take this approach as well. I avoid reviews of new releases [or movies] so I can listen or view as unbiased as possible. Then I'll read reviews after to find out who is an idiot and who agrees with me :D  But seriously sometimes there are really interesting opposing views to find from other reviewers. But sometimes negative reviews come from people who just don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

I think this goes back to the topic at hand, how knowledgeable is the reviewer of the material and everything around it, and who is the intended audience for the review? on NOISEXTRA the hosts certainly have the long-term involvement and exposure to the "underground noise scene" or whatever you want to call it for me to listen to them without immediately rolling my eyes. but that alone doesn't equal an interesting review. Mikko and others have talked to about desirability having those in the underground review things so that a meaningful perspective is present in the reviews, and I think that's generally preferable. But sometimes the most interesting reviews or thoughts on releases come from those outside the scene, but with a keen and critical ear.

I would say the most disdainful thing in any review is a short-hand history of the artist or genre by someone whose only ever read the wiki about the same, as a means to cover up their lack of actual knowledge or experience with the artist or genre. This is bad when reviewing releases in any genre. if I read another Autechre review that tells me the history of Autechre I'll gouge my fucking eyes out. I know who Autechre are, that's why I'm fucking listening to them and reading the review.

And so I think I've rambled my way to nowhere....
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

This is a the sky is blue comment, but when done well, you really notice it.  To keep a conversation healthy and vibrant, it's in the details.  That's why guests are so important.  I know some podcasters employ research people behind the scenes, and those people act like silent guests.  I feel you need that kind of personality, be it silent or evident, to flush out the passion.  Maybe that's why Tara came out in the open?  That whole love is a verb thing.  Hearing how much you love something and blah positive blah is one thing, but when the action, or conversation in this type of situation, gets deep into the details, you don't have to say it.  The audience just knows it.  They feel it.  For me, that's when things really get rolling and are at their best.  That's why some guests fire up the audience.  They incite.  It's not easy, either.

This guy was doing his own youtube/podcast thing, but when he teamed up with someone so detail oriented like this guest, the thing came alive.

https://youtu.be/DKdCP5Vj408

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on August 10, 2020, 11:30:42 PM
And then there's the entirely different matter of Bloated Slutbag whose reviews are so comprehensive and descriptive its less of a review to me and more some type of noise prose/poetry.

Ha, well I'm not sure I would say comprehensive. Long, yes. Though I suppose in my own brain the actual review part of the BS commentary is pretty short, usually done in the first couple paragraphs. The remainder tends toward more or less chemically addled attempt at blow by blow. Maybe. I admit I like the idea of a review that starts lucid and gets more and more incomprehensible as it inevitably degenerates. I also like the idea of a review contradicting its opening assertion halfway through. I admit I like a lot of stupid shit.

But seriously, my favorite review reading is the collected reviews artists will have of their own work. Collapsedhole did a nice job, wish he kept it going. And yes, I'll read these usually while listening to the work so it's hard for me to say what the precise function is, aside of course from pure entertainment. In a way, by having multiple real-time perspectives of more than one person Noisextra does something similar. I think it's very hard to comment coherently on a piece- of noise, especially- on the fly. They do I think a very good job of it.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag