NOISEXTRA - A podcast about noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 31, 2019, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

I don't think I will ever catch up on all the episodes but I have been trying to catch a few here and there. The Noisextra episode with Crank Sturgeon is great - I really enjoy relentless gear talk!

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: holy ghost on October 25, 2019, 01:49:29 AM
I don't think I will ever catch up on all the episodes but I have been trying to catch a few here and there. The Noisextra episode with Crank Sturgeon is great - I really enjoy relentless gear talk!

Actually bought a Verdant Weapons mic on the strength of this ep- already had a nasty lil Crank one!

Eigen Bast

Year end ep is a lot of fun, though maybe a bit premature given how Hospital fest is Sat and their year end lists are so Hospital heavy. Main takeaways are I need to listen to more Body Carve and the new Slogun (which I thought was an ep comp)

totalblack

Quote from: Eigen Bast on December 04, 2019, 08:01:07 PM
Year end ep is a lot of fun, though maybe a bit premature given how Hospital fest is Sat and their year end lists are so Hospital heavy. Main takeaways are I need to listen to more Body Carve and the new Slogun (which I thought was an ep comp)

Both mentioned releases are awesome and definitely worth spending time with

Bruitiste

Quote from: Eigen Bast on December 04, 2019, 08:01:07 PM
Fun episode indeed, but given how much was released this year it's a bit of a headscratcher that some of their picks for records of the year are actually reissues that came out earlier (the Lussuria [2015], and S&Q's Atom Heart Motherfucker [2017], for example.)  Still, all good recs, and their enthusiasm is infectious.

pureterror

Wow - another new episode just dropped covering a previously unreleased PAIN JERK album from the '90s that Hospital is releasing in time for their fest. Can't wait to hear this cd.

NaturalOrthodoxy

I've got into the habit of checking out any records they cover that are new to me (this happens most weeks, I'm young, sue me).

I've never really checked out any Pain Jerk before- fast moving dexterous Japanese harsh noise rarely clicks with me. I think this is for the same reason that super techy death metal turns me off- if something is over complicated to the point that I can't relate to the creative process, it takes me out of the experience. I tend to prefer a simpler, more aggressive, even boneheaded brand of harsh noise. However, Mission Invisible: Kill The Poor is a super satisfying listen, and the Noisextra episode covering it has deepened my appreciation of it. Perhaps dissecting individual sounds and effects helps me digest the whole sound, or makes it seem more "handmade" and understandable.

I think my point is that as someone whose noise consumption is 90% power electronics and its related industrial subgenres and siblings, Noisextra has definitely broadened my appreciation of other genres of noise. Really excited to see what 2020 brings for this podcast

bibleblack

I've been really into this podcast they keep getting better and better, it also gives me a great excuse to really dig into an album, can't wait for next year!

FreakAnimalFinland

I think Noisextra been on really good track for most of the episodes. Going back from newer to older:

Bananafish - I commented about that more on "noise zines that have existed" topic. Good listen from veteran 'zine maker and from guy enthusiastic on all that's weird, bizarre, odd, and surreal.

On Location: Hospital Fest, December 2019 - I liked the fractured puzzle of short interviews of people between the songs. Few collectors, couple labels dudes, some artists. Richard Ramirez piece is the most interesting probably! I was listening this on headphones, while going to sleep, and suddenly they're talking about BLJ's Jesus Is Stoned tape, how rare it is, and Richard says "I think Mikko has it". I was thinking Mikko who, are they talking about me? Then was thinking probably, although you can find couple other Mikko's in Finnish noise scene, haha..  Well, tried to locate the tape buy no luck so far. I have my doubts do I have it, but there is small possibility.

HOMETIME: Christmas Eve Special - not really my thing. This is normally the patreon bonus, so it's not something I'll hear anyways. In times when time is indeed limited, I rather listen material that is somewhat edited and focused.

In Conversation with Moonbeam Terror - interview, good thing that they have increased in Noisextra. This one I didn't care for. It may sound odd, but I'm not that much into "it was so sick, it was so crazy" kind of approach, hah.. Funny stuff happens all the time, but depending how it's told, occasionally it makes it more gringeworthy than "interesting".

In Conversation with Smell & Quim - interview, as oppose to Moonbeam Terror, this I found funny as fuck. Even if Dave is occasionally on shadow of hyper talkative Noisextra couple, their enthusiasm managed to get so many nuggets of information from Dave I had never heard about. Excellent, and amusing stuff.

PAINJERK – Mission Invisible: Kill the Poor  - latest of the "normal" episodes of Noisextra came as sort of boost for Hospital fest - and the release. They managed to get some info from Kohei Gomi about how this was made, about theme of release and so on. It's CD worth hyping anyways, but besides that there is good amount of background information.

Year End Wrap-up - talk about the best of 2019 lists. I have yet to decide if I have one. Jeph Jerman Archane Fracture CD, Torba CD.... ehm.. there are many good releases, but those two are top listened this years releases. I have listened more EXPLORATION ONE and EXTREME MUSIC FROM JAPAN compilations this year, than many of the good new arrivals, so feels like only time tells what are the best of 2019 - since I don't yet have good enough perception.

few more...

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

That comment was not directed to hosts, but particular guest of the show.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

aububs

what's the deal with the evil moisture episode cutting off practically mid-sentence? seemed like there was a lot more to be discussed. another one where i could listen to the guest talk for hours

anyway, great episode regardless of the brevity

Eigen Bast

Per their twitter, he had to run, planned on coming back but ended up being unable. Sad! Great ep. That town in Japan he talks about is wild

aububs

Soloman Tump

Didn't realise there was an Orphx episode, listened last night. Can't seem to find the Fragmentation album for download anywhere though, which is a shame as it would be nice to hear what they are talking about.