NOISEXTRA - A podcast about noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 31, 2019, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

New addition being misc talk about recent items on the playlist, and then proceeding into main topic. Good idea.
It would be good addition if they'd insert couple more 20-60 seconds sound clips within the podcast. When discussion theme changes a bit, would be nice to hear short clip from album.

Music Should Hurt CD was amazing compilation. In past, it was always in shadow of Soundtrack for the end of the world CD, only because I happened to get that one first. It may not be musically equally solid, but it is so early comp CD experiences for me, that it made long lasting effect. Music Should Hurt was always good, but like Pat explains, compilations started to be fairly common then. Listening this now, just blows my mind to think how diverse, how juicy and intense was the noise scene of the time. Not to say noise now would suck, but I guess its my taste for audible sound source somewhere below all the pure distortion/shakebox/synth etc type of stuff that is typical for old noise.

Also received Yggrdasil / Eciton / Hermit 10" from France. I must have my original copy of this somewhere, but just in case... low-tech industrial waste. Playing this instantly reminds me about listening it back then. Total opposition for monochrome anonymous noise.

Probably have the MB CD in my shelves...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

accidental

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 26, 2019, 04:54:50 PM
It would be good addition if they'd insert couple more 20-60 seconds sound clips within the podcast. When discussion theme changes a bit, would be nice to hear short clip from album

I'm not as hot on this show as others seem to be. I really did enjoy the GX episode though. And SC was nice when they were given the chance to speak amidst a host being hyped. I strongly disagree about sound clips. If i want to hear something i can do that myself. I enjoy being able to hit play and let the conversation go for it's entirety without having to fast forward some silly half minute clip.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: accidental on July 26, 2019, 07:19:03 PMAnd SC was nice when they were given the chance to speak amidst a host being hyped.
That gets old real quick, but life is all about playing the social game.  It's understandable.

Quote from: accidental on July 26, 2019, 07:19:03 PMIf i want to hear something i can do that myself. I enjoy being able to hit play and let the conversation go for it's entirety without having to fast forward some silly half minute clip.
Agree.

It was smart to give Tara Connelly a mic.  They need that other voice and perspective when they go at it without a guest.  Could get a little messy with a guest, though.  Maybe not since she's sharp.  I always appreciate when they give podcast researchers and fact checkers a microphone.  They tend to know to be reserved and only add their layer when necessary.  Radio is an odd format inasmuch as I don't really care for a lot of voices in the conversation.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: accidental on July 26, 2019, 07:19:03 PM
I'm not as hot on this show as others seem to be. I really did enjoy the GX episode though.

There is a new episode online now:
http://www.noisextra.com/2019/07/31/noisextra-08-wind-licked-dirt/

It's another with GX. Exceptionally long, 2 hour episode. Yet had time to listen 1h 20 mins and rest probably tomorrow. It is probably going to give far more deeper level of details of Haters history than any interview I seen before. GX is easy to get to talk in depth, and he is very articulate. It can be different with guys who have not used to talk about their work.

I don't mind the hosts hyping recordings (or people), as that seemed to be the original Merzcast intent. They did say it number of times. To bring back enthusiasm and getting exited about noise albums. Knowing bunch of noise guys who are truly worshippers, I can relate to concept although I can understand why some would be turned down.

Some may always ask, why listen someone talk about noise when you can listen noise. It is same as music journalism in general. Why read music review if you can listen to album? I was just listening interview of recently stopped, one of longest running music magazine editor. He concluded time of music reviews like our generation (read guys 30, 35+) understands them, is over. All that relates in some ways to noise scene. It would be entirely different discussion, not to be done on this topic.

Ideally there would be perfect balance of excitement & hyping noise titles and totally unique substance & information by various guests. After just 8 episodes, it seems like form is still taking shape. GX episode is raising the bar higher, yet I'm also fine with getting another Mike & Greh talking of recent noise playlist and picking up semi-forgotten titles they think everybody should give a try.

Bruitiste

Quote from: PTM Jim on July 22, 2019, 07:01:16 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 18, 2019, 07:12:10 PM
Damn i hope they could get Roemer or Stella in these...
Roemer I'd say no chance. Stella on the other hand would be a little more possible.
Why not, what's Joe's deal?

Anyway Greh just put out a duo record with Stella so that does seem possible... even though it was recorded many years ago.  I don't think they're on bad terms or anything.

Been enjoying recent episodes of this, despite being lower on guests — was really digging all the noise history and anecdotes that guests would contribute, but it's still entertaining to listen to the trio gushing about these various releases.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Bruitiste on October 03, 2019, 06:20:31 PM
Roemer I'd say no chance. Stella on the other hand would be a little more possible.

Anyway Greh just put out a duo record with Stella so that does seem possible... even though it was recorded many years ago.  I don't think they're on bad terms or anything.

Been enjoying recent episodes of this, despite being lower on guests — was really digging all the noise history and anecdotes that guests would contribute, but it's still entertaining to listen to the trio gushing about these various releases.

I would go as far to say I mostly enjoy the episodes where it's just the Greh, Mike, Tara trio. they are increasingly well researched and insightful and I think maybe less inhibited in their enjoyment than with a guest! Though I love the episodes with guests too. I just generally fucking love this podcast

PTM Jim

Quote from: Bruitiste on October 03, 2019, 06:20:31 PM

Nothing wrong with him. He just doesn't really go anywhere. That being said, I would really like to hear him discuss a lot of the art/packaging in the 90s as well as his extensive tape trading.

FreakAnimalFinland

New AUBE "Spindrift" episode was pretty good. Not only that is probably my favorite Aube for two reasons: First full Aube I got, and objectively brilliant and one of noisier Aube things. They also threw in a lot of good information. All the Akifumi's talk about his work ethic - so to say. Something I can be also personally quite grateful!

Back in the day, when I first was exposed to whole harsh noise and japanese noise in particular, I sent letters and tapes to pretty much everyone I had address. Alchemy, Endorphine Factory, Vanilla, etc.. and G.R.O.S.S. was the only japanese label who replied. Sent me thanks for contacting and neatly printed GROSS catalogue. What followed was little bit of trading, some purchases I could afford, but also 4 Aube releases on Freak Animal. One could just propose him something, and he would get back after some time with DAT and even offset qualification ready film prints for vinyl vinyl labels or artworks included. Level of professionalism was unlike anything at the time. Perhaps not everybody's taste, but 100% unique in all ways.

Zeno Marx

I haven't been listening as much because of time restraints and fewer guests, but I did listen to the Master/Slave Relationship with Jim Haynes of Helen Scarsdale Agency.  He makes great sounds, runs a great label and distro, and has one of the best label names in the business.  You rarely hear anyone talk about M/S R, but when you do, they gush over Debbie Jaffe's work.  There's a disconnect there that is interesting.  Does she not translate well, or maybe fully, for many people?  Are people turned off by such a literal name?  Maybe just because she's a true fringe artist?  She rides that area of being well respected by some and completely ignored by most.  That's certainly common with any music, but I feel she rises to that upper percentile where it is even more dramatic.  Besides all that, I've found her interaction with technology to be interesting.  Elden M/Allegory Chapel Ltd. used to mention her a lot and speak highly of her.  Wasn't she behind blackmetal.com?

It's great to hear such enthusiasm for her.

edit:  anyone know what he was talking about with Henry Owens and the Merzbox review centerfold?  What publication was that?  Trucklit?  Truck Lift?  Issue #?  Website?  Any additional information is appreciated.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ashraf

Chunklet.

Henry's now defunct zine.

Here's the archived version of Jim's Merzbox review.

https://www.chunklet.com/magazines/chunklet-16/

Full text on the left side under Features.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ashraf on October 21, 2019, 05:14:49 AM
Chunklet.

Thanks.  Good and funny read.  Would love to see a scan of that centerfold
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 20, 2019, 06:53:05 PM
You rarely hear anyone talk about M/S R, but when you do, they gush over Debbie Jaffe's work.  There's a disconnect there that is interesting. Does she not translate well, or maybe fully, for many people?  Are people turned off by such a literal name?  Maybe just because she's a true fringe artist?  She rides that area of being well respected by some and completely ignored by most.  That's certainly common with any music, but I feel she rises to that upper percentile where it is even more dramatic.  Besides all that, I've found her interaction with technology to be interesting.  Elden M/Allegory Chapel Ltd. used to mention her a lot and speak highly of her.  Wasn't she behind blackmetal.com?

Been listening every episode. This was among favorites. I was listening old M/SR tape one day at my store, and customer was asking what it was. Then we talked about why there isn't some bigger scale re-issues. My assumption is that material is in fine line of being too noisy, simple and primitive for rhythmic industrial crowd. And too "musical" for noise people. Too genuinely "vintage".

Yet, then you see ton of minimal synth oddities released as luxurious vinyl box-sets, so why not...?  In a way, I see no reason why this would be less interesting than Sleep Chamber early days box? There is a challenge. With the customer we talked about the fact that tapes have a lot of odd, weird and even goofy, and somewhat clumsy and technically awkward stuff. To curate M/SR best of release would not really display what the band was. It may be challenging at times, but it is 100% fact that no new band would have guts and confidence the publish material like that.

Lack of guts to put stuff out that may be ridiculed by listeners, can lead to making too nice material. It was talked in some of old Merzcasts. In many CD's Masami (or some old noise releases) would have weird and goofy "failures". Silly noises everybody would cut out now in editing process. In old material you often hear moments what sticks out - sometimes annoying - but always surprising. So, if there was reissue of M/SR, it would be shame to be just the best of, that is judged by current standards. It should have the same smell, unhygienic moments and oddities.

Back in the day, you could buy European fetish magazines, where M/SR existence was acknowledged. SECRET (belgium), and I recall <<O>> and maybe also Marquis (that may be too new magazine for it, but editor was same as in <<<0>>)? Basically biggest glossy rubber themed magazines, who published short articles of project and contact informations. Being familiar with project, it was always amazing to see the cross-over.

About This Lubricious Love, RRRon told me long ago, he was approached by Dog As Master (Hal McGee mid 80's to late 90's project) who was trying to get released on RRR, but Ron got to hear M/SR stuff as Debbie was McGee's girlfriend at the time and preferred to release that instead of much more "normal sounding" Dog As Master.  Certainly RRRon's decision can be understood, as Debbies work stood out so vividly.

(On sidenote, I would say, that now, also D.A.M. certainly would demand some CD reissue to be available for those who don't really listen online! You never hear anyone talk about this project. In this episode they briefly mention Cause And Effect being such a cult label, yet from their discography you can see Controlled Bleeding, The Haters, Lokomotiv S.S., Nurse With Wound, John Duncan, Blackhouse, Attrition and such who are either re-issued or widely recognized.. while all the "house bands" of label, often have only the original tape existing, that came out decades ago: Dog As Master, Viscera, M/SR,.. Maybe Mental also brilliant in some releases..)

This Lubricious Love had only that almost 24 minutes continuous piece, so to make it LP, they took 4 songs from old tapes to fill the A-side. First track guest vocals are done by Hal McGee. So already in 1987 it was partly re-issue of tapes, partly new works.

I'm not 100% how the Cybertzara / Extreme Subterranea thing goes, but I think Cybertzara name appears as catalogue number since M/SR put out the CD-Rom that includes (at the time, revolutionary) music clips & couple seconds animations you could view on your computer and "windows 95 system", heh..  In following years there was three VOND (a.k.a. Mortiis) releases that have catalogue/label mentioned Cybertzara, but as label it says Extreme Subterranea. Since 1997 they started Blackmetal.com, first to distribute stuff, but eventually also release.

Back in 1998 I made few orders from Blackmetal.com, and as it was cash-in-letter era, I sent them not only US$$'s but also Clandestine Blaze demo tape, which they were very interested in. Since I was going to publish vinyl only of 1999 album of CB, they proposed if they could do CD version since vinyl demand (at that time) was very small. The whole idea of putting out Black Metal vinyl in late 90's was very very different from what it is now. I was never looking for label, and as for me then, and basically now as well, underground metal as a whole, is going to wrong direction(s), I was very glad to get offer to work with people whom I knew to have long history in transgressive art. Both Elden M and Debbie, was no new to this and their work always had honesty and personality, not the posing as often seems. For me, to industrial background is way way better than entering BM via Iron Maiden and Cradle of Filth, so to say. Not that I'd particularly dislike those bands.
So CB first album CD version 1st press was done as Blackmetal.com first release 20 years ago, and I fondly remember their long standing support when vast majority of labels at the time was like Black Metal 7" release, who cares! We don't take it...

Nowadays, blackmetal.com is owned by other people, and to be re-launched at some point. Whatever happens in upcoming Blackmetal.com site, is not Debbie or Elden M, but the new owners of domain. As far as I can tell, it will be pure BM mailorder operating in USA. They probably still distribute some, if not all, CB items.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 21, 2019, 07:37:37 PM
Quote from: ashraf on October 21, 2019, 05:14:49 AM
Chunklet.

Thanks.  Good and funny read.  Would love to see a scan of that centerfold

I'm sure you would you pervert. Agreed a very good read, if not necessarily geared toward a noise audience. Several moments, but this may be favorite-

QuoteDISC TWENTY THREE:
"There has been an amazing development to the Noise music of Merzbow and only after completeling the weekend long experience of listening to the Merzbox will this really seep in." – Roger Richards / Extreme Records
Oh give me a fucking break. There is no fucking way that you can expect me to listen to the Merzbox non stop over a weekend.

And, thanks!
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

Thanks for that great post, FreakAnimalFinland.  Agree about it not being a good idea to reissue her work only in part.  Don't care for the recontextualization of that approach for most though.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

bitewerksMTB

I remember ordering quite often from blackmetal.com, even have one of their stickers on the side of my stereo receiver.

"Brash Pussy" is all I owned by Dog as Master. Not sure if I heard other works or just that tape plus comp tracks on all of those Sound of Pig tapes.