NOISEXTRA - A podcast about noise

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 31, 2019, 12:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EXU

This kind of stuff interests me a lot, not only the review per se but the reminiscences. For someone who doesn't lived the good old noise days - be it 80's, 90´s and hell, even 00's - these personal reports and anecdotes are pure gold, always put a smile in my face. Call it nostalgia of the not lived if you will, I really don't care.

Gotta catch up with NOISEXTRA...

Zeno Marx

Great to hear Eric Boros/Hermit get some time.  Very interesting to hear the Canadian perspective from the time.  More noise context and history for us all.

*I never asked Hermit this, but my hunch was always that he was using an IBM Selectric typewriter with the script or scribe ball head (my vague memory leans toward the scribe) in his graphic designs.  That's the type set that has a cursive-like look to it.  Maybe it was more widespread in Canada and on other typewriters, but the only one I've ever seen it with in the USA was the IBM.  Also, have to admit I never thought of the Hermit logo as being metalish, so that was another cool perspective to hear.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

aububs

anyone else having problems accessing the merzcast site?

Zeno Marx

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

aububs

FreakAnimalFinland

Both new episodes are great, but also experienced devastating blow.. haha.. Could not locate my copy of Hermit / Yggdrasil / Eciton split 10", so had to order it via discogs from N&B if this episode creates little demand for release and it disappears...
I used to distribute this title and it is possible I have it somewhere, where it should not be, but ordered just in case. Grunt did splits with both, Yggdrasil and Hermit. Just piled couple old Hermit tapes and Yggdrasil "lebensbaum" demo tape for todays playlist since the 10" could not be found. Should have also Eciton tape somewhere, but unable to locate it. It came out of Finnish label, that located merely 15km where I used to live back then. Run by the guy who played in JUNKDROME. He is still around, at least in the so called holy terror scene. Obscure hardcore stuff.

Scattered productions who published Eciton tape, who started his label putting out Grunt/Futile Existence split tape, also released one Grunt tape that is not listed in discogs. Grunt "Two Episodes" C-16, in black plastic sleeve with transparent insert. It was among the early works where I used the droning ethereal voice drifting below harsh noise blasts.

I'm not 100% sure, but how I remember it, around those times I got letter from Bawler productions (ger) who asked could I do that sort of drifting drone without noise, and he'd be interested to put out tape. 1996, being enthusiastic youngster, that was all that was needed for Alchemy of the 20th Century to be started in matter of... days. Project did evolve from this quite ridiculous "made on demand" type of beginning. Of course it was material I genuinely liked and wanted to do, but the kick to actually get it started was emerged in form of tiny german punk-rooted tape label who wanted to put out.

Grunt "two episodes" and first Alchemy... tape was recorded mere couple weeks apart and that Eciton tape came out pretty close to Grunt tape on the label.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

DSOL

the last with Pat and mark from Skin Crime discussing the "Music Should Hurt" comp is really good
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Zeno Marx

Quote from: DSOL on July 17, 2019, 10:45:12 PM
the last with Pat and mark from Skin Crime discussing the "Music Should Hurt" comp is really good
They ain't the most talkative lads, is they?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

It starts slow, but when they warm up - this is great podcast once again. Should give the cd listen soon. Damn i hope they could get Roemer or Stella in these...

Zeno Marx

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 18, 2019, 07:12:10 PM
It starts slow, but when they warm up - this is great podcast once again. Should give the cd listen soon. Damn i hope they could get Roemer or Stella in these...
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a good discussion.  Sorry to anyone involved if that's how it seemed.  Great hearing about the Green Wheels situation.  Would be very cool to see even a photo of the original art.  To give context to size, texture, etc.  And to know that other art for it exists and the first packaging plan.  How common it surely was for someone to go into a release thinking they were going to do one thing with the packaging and then had to completely revise because of costs, difficulty to execute the idea, or whatever.  Maybe logistics aren't interesting to many, but I find that stuff anything but mundane.  I could listen to that type of discussion all day.

It's always interesting to listen to two different generations hash through the minutia of any process.  In this case, running a label.  It made this conversation even more interesting.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

DSOL

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 18, 2019, 07:12:10 PMDamn i hope they could get Roemer or Stella in these...

that would be pretty awesome
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 18, 2019, 07:52:40 PM
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a good discussion. 

Didn't think so. I didn't think that quality of sound was too bad either. When they had the disclaimer in beginning, and whole thing started, replies from Skin Crime guys came so slowly, that I thought there was glitch in editing, hah.. but pace speeded up and there was a lot of really good information.

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 18, 2019, 07:52:40 PM
Great hearing about the Green Wheels situation.  Would be very cool to see even a photo of the original art.  To give context to size, texture, etc.  And to know that other art for it exists and the first packaging plan.  How common it surely was for someone to go into a release thinking they were going to do one thing with the packaging and then had to completely revise because of costs, difficulty to execute the idea, or whatever.  Maybe logistics aren't interesting to many, but I find that stuff anything but mundane.  I could listen to that type of discussion all day.

It's always interesting to listen to two different generations hash through the minutia of any process.  In this case, running a label.  It made this conversation even more interesting.

There was lots of interesting stuff. For example the color copies they talk about. It was quite rare machines that had optional second color toner besides black. I used to print some covers with those. Grunt/Hermit split 7", Grunt/Aube split 10" 2nd pressing etc. It was almost gamble to prepare two paper originals, and imagine how they will look on color paper with 2 different colors printed from paper masters. Not simultaneously, but printing paper twice. Looks of those prints is totally different from doing full color prints with digital printers of today.

Back then, I was obviously rather young kid, underage teenager who just decided to go ask Imatra city copycenter to print me stuff. It wasn't company/shop, but just office in cityhall where all the printing for city was done. Haha. They were not normally taking orders from "outsiders", so they didn't even have pricelist for printing before I requested one. I recall first time I went there and one of the male staff announced "ladies, don't watch inside this magazine". First zine I printed there with some s/m comics sleaze. As it was not company made to generate profit, prices were very good.

Quite similar look is with risograph printing machines, you can see used by Segerhuva and some of his associates Ochu, some Styggelse tapes etc... Lots of work involved in printing, but looks are unique.

Now playing: Music Should Hurt CD!

Zeno Marx

Printing shops and paper suppliers could be a thread by themselves.  I don't think I ever had the option to swap out toner cartridges out in the public copiers.  That had to be something done behind the counter and done to order.

Out of the blue, a paper liquidator opened up near my house in an old public school warehouse.  It was opened to the public...at first.  So many unique papers and options in that place.  That's one of those X-mas stores for people who run labels.  Easy to get excited and look forward to what new, odd paper stock they would get.  They'd buy everything from the last pallet, to the last box, to the last ream of handmade paper.  I believe the paper for one of my 7"s (1000 copies) only cost $19 there.  They eventually stopped selling to the public.  There was no profit in selling $20 worth of paper to anyone.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

PTM Jim

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 18, 2019, 07:12:10 PM
Damn i hope they could get Roemer or Stella in these...
Roemer I'd say no chance. Stella on the other hand would be a little more possible.

Duality

New episode just came out focusing on MB, haven't listened yet but should be good.