Dystopian movies

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 17, 2011, 08:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WATERPOWER

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 18, 2011, 11:50:51 PM
I've seen most of the list. Love MAD MAX & ROAD WARRIOR! I immediately thought of the Italian films first mentioned; I was never a huge fan of those as they never lived up to what I wanted but that was vhs-rental days. Would like to re-visit a bunch of'em.

Quite a few years ago I picked up that Post-Apocalyptic Shriek Show boxset (had to have been around $13.99) that included 2019, Bronx Warriors, and New Barbarians. Of the three, 2019 was actually memorable- definitely check that one out again with a beer.

Matthias

When it comes to the italian postapocalyptic films, 2019 - After The Fall Of New York is definitely my favorite.
Bronx Warriors is pretty cool too, but i prefer the second one. The first one comes out as a blatant rip off mixture of Escape From New York and The Warriors (in a good way, i must add), where the second one stands better on it's own and is a bit more fast-paced and violent.
Not a big fan of The New Barbarians but it's a fun ride i guess. Nice vehicles.
A underrated Fulci-gem is his The New Gladiators (violent TV-shows, another subgenre...).
Don't remember much from Segio Martinos Hands Of Steel more than a great synthscore. If my memory is correct one of the actors died during the filming due to a poorly prepared helicopter-stunt.
Still much i haven't seen, like Endgame, Blastfighter etc.  

Strömkarlen

Maybe a bit of the mark but I always found The Kingdom by Trier to be really dystopic and his earlier films like Elements of Crime and Europa. It's time to revisit them again.

magnus

I agree about von Trier, but re-watched Europa not so long ago, and like so many 90s movies it didn´t feel as exciting as back when it was new. Now i must say it´s one of my least favorite from him whereas before the re-watch it would be close to the top. But the apocalyptic feeling is the best thing with the film, maybe unavoidable for something set in the aftermath of the German defeat. Anyone know of more good films set in this time, with the werewolves and things like that? I´m sure i´ve seen a couple but can´t think of any specific right now.... The time in the bombed out cities is pictured very well in books like Dagerman´s German autumn and Bolano´s 2666 among others.

By the way, Blastfighter is not in post-apocalypse, it´s a (decent) First Blood rip off, Hands of Steel focus, like the title suggests, a lot on armwrestling (bit of Over the top in there).

post-morten

Quote from: magnus on January 18, 2011, 01:40:27 AM
Last Man on Earth should be there, but as it´s the same story as The Omega Man i guess it excusable.

A similar plot is also found in The Quiet Earth. It's many years since I watched it, but I remember liking the mood of it. Go New Zealand!

Quote from: magnus on January 19, 2011, 04:32:37 PM
Anyone know of more good films set in this time, with the werewolves and things like that? I´m sure i´ve seen a couple but can´t think of any specific right now.... The time in the bombed out cities is pictured very well in books like Dagerman´s German autumn and Bolano´s 2666 among others.

How about Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5? A very good book turned into a pretty trippy, yet quite decent filmed effort by George Roy Hill (Slapshot, Garp, etc). There you have your sci-fi themes like time and space travel coupled with WWII atrocities (the allied bombings of Dresden).

ConcreteMascara

It's been discussed before but it surely deserves a mention here, The Road.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Voûte

You guys should also look for Final Executor/L'ultimo guerriero, in french La chasse aux Morts Vivants (Living Dead hunt...Actually there's no zombie/living deads in that movie). It's another great italian post-apocalyptic movie.

ironfistofthesun

Voûte

Dead-End Drive In - Excellent Ozploitation about a Drive-in cinema turned into a concentration camp where the government send all the anti-social and freethinker kids.

bitewerksMTB

Voûte

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on January 20, 2011, 07:29:52 PM
THE AFTERMAN: This fits in with the topic. I've never heard of the film...

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Cult-Favorites/Afterman-DVD-(PAL-All-Region).html

With that kind of description, i'll certainly order a copy.

WATERPOWER

I can't believe yesterday was my first time seeing Road Warrior... What an excellent movie.

FreakAnimalFinland

talking of road warrior, how many finns have seen the Kaurismäki "THE LAST BORDER" from 1993? When you put regular finnish actors speaking english, it sounds about as good as our rally drivers speak english. I have vague feeling I saw it from TV sometimes in mid 90's? Friend of mine just complimented it being very good. DVD is available nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTV4BJtOugE

The Last Border - viimeisellä rajalla
Director: Mika Kaurismäki
"One man's guest for revenge in a post-apocalyptic world"
Finnish post-apocalyptic movie ("Finnish Mad Max") starring : Jürgen Prochnow, Kari Väänänen, Juice Leskinen, Jolyon Baker.
Music by : Stone
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

I've meant to watch THX 1138 for years, but finally did it. George Lucas film from 1970, dark and paranoid totalitarian society focusing on suppressing any humanity and focusing on consumption and total control. Everybody bald and dressed in white. Bleak and desperate. Great soundtrack & experimental sound effects.

Normally I don't bother with DVD bonus features, but the long piece with Walter Murch, sound designer of movie, is great. Good stories of sonic experiments in times when you didn't even have access to simple reverb effect that easy. Probably have to talk some more about this later on, but tomorrow check the documents of disc 2...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

WATERPOWER

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 22, 2011, 10:54:35 PM
I've meant to watch THX 1138 for years, but finally did it. George Lucas film from 1970, dark and paranoid totalitarian society focusing on suppressing any humanity and focusing on consumption and total control. Everybody bald and dressed in white. Bleak and desperate. Great soundtrack & experimental sound effects.

Normally I don't bother with DVD bonus features, but the long piece with Walter Murch, sound designer of movie, is great. Good stories of sonic experiments in times when you didn't even have access to simple reverb effect that easy. Probably have to talk some more about this later on, but tomorrow check the documents of disc 2...

THX as I recall is a pretty excellent film. There were a few scenes that really took me by surprise, as I didn't expect them to be so well done (explosions, the car/motorcycle chase), but I don't know how much of what I saw could have been due to post-everything Lucas signature revamping or whatever he does.

Around the time I saw it I had just met Sig Haig for the first time, so that was cool to see.

Has Logan's Run been mentioned? I've never seen it, but from what I've seem, I tend to associate the imagery from THX to be the same in Logan's Run. Really wish I could remember what I watched recently (I think it was a cartoon?) where Logan's Run is referenced has the sexiest movie ever... damn.