best Sewer Election releases?

Started by shearling, February 18, 2019, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spongeoctopus

I love pretty much all the releases i've heard but some standouts that get a lot of playing time around here would be Ljungarum Blues & An Ode To Reality,Kassettmusik, Gambia, Stängda Dörrar, Vidöppna Sår and Nära. Most of the projects he's had/been involved in outside of SE tend to be great as well, especially Edwige, Heinz Hopf and Neutral. I also think that the two labels he's had over the years has been pretty much flawless as far as I know as well. He simply know what he's doing.

nickh_____

The Killing For tapes, Sex/Death, Wreck, and Vittra Sönder are some already mentioned that are untouchable for me. Raset and Att Rita En Massaker are two other really good tapes. The record he did on Second Sleep with Frederikke Hoffmeier, Den Blege Grå Tone, is fantastic as well. Ultra Fuck and Edwige aren't Sewer Election releases, but are mandatory Dan J projects, too

eyesofsatan

Damn, so hard to narrow down honestly. Things like Sex/Death, Vengeance, and even the newer Wreck for their sheer fucking power. Kassetmusik for the barren, crude minimalism. Bristning, Vidöppna Sår, Vittra Sönder for marrying the slow moving bleak tape music stuff with the rougher noise. Malign for somehow blending bedroom folk with noise successfully.

Johann

Quote from: Neanderthal on February 19, 2019, 11:18:31 PM
Quote from: WCN on February 19, 2019, 12:42:34 PM
Dismal - A new favorite. Organic and ugly harsh noise.

Same here. Curious, does your copy on the A side have this really abrupt, dare I say, intrusive sub/low frequency that sort of disrupts the flow of the recording? It almost feels like an accident or my copy had a dubbing issue, but besides that it's all great.

I feel this might be a mix of problems related to volume, and house layout. If I play my records loud they occasionally start to hum due to the speakers vibrating the wooden floor, If I then place my palm on the turntable it stops. It tends to be with more bass heavy albums, however if I listen to the albums in the carpeted room upstairs this doesn't happen...in my old house the joist were so shit it'd cause the record to skate, which was obviously distressing. Not sure if maybe that what's happening but it's my guess

I've heard of several solutions ranging from putting tennis balls under the turntable legs (I placed some carpet under mine, but it's only effective to a certain volume)...I almost feel like I need to move my speakers to the other side of the room or weigh down the turntable. But if anyone has solutions for this please hit me up.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Johann on March 16, 2019, 06:58:00 PM
Quote from: Neanderthal on February 19, 2019, 11:18:31 PM
Quote from: WCN on February 19, 2019, 12:42:34 PM
Dismal - A new favorite. Organic and ugly harsh noise.

Same here. Curious, does your copy on the A side have this really abrupt, dare I say, intrusive sub/low frequency that sort of disrupts the flow of the recording? It almost feels like an accident or my copy had a dubbing issue, but besides that it's all great.

I feel this might be a mix of problems related to volume, and house layout. If I play my records loud they occasionally start to hum due to the speakers vibrating the wooden floor, If I then place my palm on the turntable it stops. It tends to be with more bass heavy albums, however if I listen to the albums in the carpeted room upstairs this doesn't happen...in my old house the joist were so shit it'd cause the record to skate, which was obviously distressing. Not sure if maybe that what's happening but it's my guess

I've heard of several solutions ranging from putting tennis balls under the turntable legs (I placed some carpet under mine, but it's only effective to a certain volume)...I almost feel like I need to move my speakers to the other side of the room or weigh down the turntable. But if anyone has solutions for this please hit me up.
They used to sell isolation/absorption feet for this.  Space-age foam feet that were dense enough to have some integrity while also absorbing vibration.  You'd place them underneath your existing feet.  Rather pricey, but I heard they worked.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Reading through this I started reflecting on how SE has evolved, more specifically in relation to the evolution of noise, at least as I see it. Hear it. From the more spastic JP inflections through to HNW to more acoustic considerations and corroded tape-work. It's all there, per the chronology. Nothing half ass, all of it all-out, whole hog. The influences are plain but so too the clear commitment to wherever the attentions inevitably land. I'd like to suggest a true spirit of experimentation, and more, one that consistently delivers. Nothing in the discog has fallen anything short of interesting, and several things have simply blown the fucking mind.

Loved SE from day one, but I loved it more when the shit got raw, blown out, less possessed of frantic cut-up spastics more to revel in the thick of ugly bodily lurch and rumble. Last Breath was the first hint of this direction, if a bit more full bodied and monolithic. Ljungarum Blues and An Ode To Reality were the clinchers and Wreck the perfecting-

Wreck
Ljungarum Blues
An Ode To Reality
Last Breath

Of the earlier, classic, somewhat spastic invigoration, Vengeance is my pick. Starting to get rougher, heavier, heftier but sharp, angular, haphazard slap-dash across spectrum, furious but focused attention to detail-

Vengeance

Refining of blown-out textures via Sex/Death and the various Killings. This shit hits me straight in the gut, oomph, the pure and unfettered commitment, the invitation to concentrated obsession. Short-lived but essential, and gloriously resurrected in the birth of Heinz Hopf-

Sex/Death
Killing For Finland
Killing For Norrland

(recent collab with Ligature also deserves mention)

Whole mess of awesomeness in the later days, less rough n tumble more cleanly recorded semi-acoustic racket. Vidöppna Sår leaps out the gate, jagged flashy spiky jabbings almost harkening back to the earliest days as far as leaving one dancing on the tippy toes, if very different in apparent method, color, texture.

Vidöppna Sår

Yet to hear Malign, Dismal. Need to return to Maar. Damn girl, you really got me going now.

In sum... there is no sum. Always interested in where the project may go.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Scat-O-Logy

FreakAnimalFinland

In recent listening, multiple times Sewer Election "Vidöppna Sår" LP. When talking about quality of vinyl records, just from the technical perspective of cutting, pressing and printing - these decade old PAN vinyls seemed to be just about as good as one can get?? Just perfection of master cutting and pressing. Absolutely clean and pristine vinyl to have some of the most rotten junk metals, gagging vocal noise, hissing electronics. All blending in perfect way. So far I have heard one guy to say this is THE best S.E. recording. On this topic it gets mentioned several times.
I usually do not have definite best of lists of someone's discography, but if I would have to come up with other S.E. and say why it is better, not sure could it? Only if qualification would be something more pure harsh blast? Otherwise, this could be indeed THE S.E.??
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

magnus

I really enjoyed the recent Cosmic Mirror cdr. A shame it was such a small edition. The new Antarktis cd is rather different from that one (much colder, haha) but also really good. Back in top form for sure!

Strömkarlen

So much good stuff but I tend to listen more to the "side projects" that might not be that PTA safe. White being perhaps the most widely heard.

ZT

Nära, Maar and Malign.

I think S.E. has become better and better for every release.

TS

Probably Vidöppna Sår for me too. Just a perfect blend of bodily sounds and junk, absolutely perfect production. Somehow always gets me thinking about the boat journey in Jan Troells The Emigrants.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

FreakAnimalFinland

SEWER ELECTION "Skärvor av" LP
Second Sleep
This is new, and in some ways I can't really pin point reasons why it is so great, but it really is. Been spinning this multiple times, last week, this week. And just doesn't get at all "ok, enough of this.. lets move on" feeling. It is so rough sound, but roughness is tasty and full of detail.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

J_D_H

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 19, 2022, 02:26:15 PM
SEWER ELECTION "Skärvor av" LP
Second Sleep
This is new, and in some ways I can't really pin point reasons why it is so great, but it really is. Been spinning this multiple times, last week, this week. And just doesn't get at all "ok, enough of this.. lets move on" feeling. It is so rough sound, but roughness is tasty and full of detail.

Incredible record which I've been absolutely hammering since it showed up last week, already thinking this may be some of the best SE material yet. The suite of tracks on the first side flow very nicely indeed and there are some almost pretty, subtle goings on underneath the crashing debris and murk that demands repeat listens. Even the squeaking sounds towards the end of the side maintain a certain grey monotony that is weirdly thrilling while remaining consistent across the whole record. Long piece that fills the second side is more droning and sedate, yet tense with it. The details on this side tend to rear their heads up above the dirt with apparent bird sounds later developing into what might be either an electronic impression or heavily manipulated version of the original source.

Tend to think of this one as a more serene and gorgeous, less dry and brittle (relatively speaking) counterpart to Antarktis, which makes sense as it seems to have been recorded around the same time using similar means.

brian o'blivion

Everyone has covered the older material, so I'm going to pump Antarktis and Blizzard Amplification as two new ones that have been deeply fulfilling listens and are probably going to sit among my preferred SE releases.