Cave / mine / cavern recordings

Started by bogskaggmannen, January 03, 2010, 12:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogskaggmannen

I have always been a big fan of records that mainly or partly have been recorded in caves, mines or caverns - one favorite that never goes out of style for me is Lustmord's "Heresy" album. I would like more recommendations of groups that takes advantage of those kinds of location recordings and that its used more or less unedited in the full whole.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Pauline OLIVEROS and her DEEP LISTENING BAND (e.g. "Troglodyte's Delight")

I don't remember exactly, but one of Francisco LOPEZ's work was recorded there.

Arsenije JOVANOVIC - in his untitled CD album, at least one work was recorded there.

LUSTMORD's "Paradise Disowned" - my favourite album from his discography.

and TEST DEPT recorded some works somewhere in mine with choir of miners but I am not sure if there we can listen this specific space.

Andrew McIntosh

Stockhausen performed "Stimmung" in the Jeita caves in Beirut (with Max Ernst in attendance). Apparently this was videoed.
Shikata ga nai.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on January 03, 2010, 01:31:53 AM
Stockhausen performed "Stimmung" in the Jeita caves in Beirut (with Max Ernst in attendance). Apparently this was videoed.

hmmm, maybe François Bayle's "Jeîta Ou Murmure Des Eaux" was recorded there too?

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on January 03, 2010, 01:20:47 AMArsenije JOVANOVIC - in his untitled CD album, at least one work was recorded there.
Such a sadly unappreciated talent.  This s/t, his split CD, and the recent Alluvial disc are all top shelf listens.  His writing is beautiful as well.  The Alluvial disc was culled from enough material to make a big box set.  It is both saddening and frustrating that he wasn't more prolific.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Steve

Sections of the PSYCHIC TV album DREAMS LESS SWEET were recorded at the Hell Fire Club caves in West Wycombe UK.

heretogo

Walter Marchetti's beautiful "Per La Sete Dell'orecchio" (one track on an cd/LP with same name) sounds like a man casting rocks into an underground pool of water. Very cavernous sound. I have no idea if that's how it was made, however.

alpharmania

for my new lp on nattmaran I tried to select locations with care... we used an abandoned factory hall, everything in concrete and incredibly high to the ceiling. incredible natural reverb / echo... also an empty oil cistern.... no editing needed afterwards. what I enjoy is when concrete / organic sound can get as violent as electronic but still keeping its untamed feeling.
I also have vague memories from an alfarmania show in umeå (2005) where we blew the sound system and instead improvised a set inside a cave. crawling under large sheets of metal, tape manipulations, minimal electronic equipment - more focus on concrete sounds... result was rather satisfying.
I think there is a lot to gain from using recording locations that makes the sounds live a life on their own... take it to their maximum potential.
norbergfestivalen in sweden is a good example of how these locations can be put to good use. in particular the "mimer" hall...
but for recommendations I have no idea...

bitewerksMTB

Unfortunately no mines or caves but I like recording in creek tunnels. The latest I've used is in the park I trail-ride in. I got some great sounds of just walking through the leaves, breaking wood, hitting the walls with rocks for reverb. Part of it is in a recording that includes other location recordings (abandoned country church; an old brick well outside of a house that was nearly falling over;  rattlesnakes).

I'd love to get inside an abandoned factory but there are none nearly that I know of.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on January 03, 2010, 12:31:55 AM
one favorite that never goes out of style for me is Lustmord's "Heresy" album.

Didn't the inimitable B. come out and admit it was all done on synths? Never trust the liar notes.

Talking Oliveros and The Deep Listening Band, The Ready Made Boomerang always raises my bar. Big BOING points for the 20-minute ethereal blissout "CCCC (Cistern Chapel Chance Chants)".
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Cementimental

I've recorded in the Culver Hole a couple of times but only in fairly low-fi and portable ways which didn't really do it much justice. As friends in Wales acquire more serious gear and transport we will hopefully some time soon fully execute the folk-noise/Gower Electronics ideas I've been thinking of for some years...

Strömkarlen