Urashima Appreciation

Started by XXX, January 24, 2019, 09:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XXX

wanted to start this topic for some time now, but was hesitant. i have many feelings about this label both hot and cold.

PROs
-well curated comps with focus on single theme
-essential reissues
-luxurious packaging

CONs
-new artwork for classick works
-lackadaisical announcement techniques
-poor quality pressings (not experienced this myself but some on discogs complain)

biggest sticking point for me is artwork.  Some keep spirit of original while others miss the mark by a wide margin. also,
masonna box didnt include full reprints of original art, as we saw in atrax mourge box. why? these are critical to experience. earplugs are cute and all, but please, spend money elsewhere.

i am curious to hear others opinion. is this simply old man yelling at clouds or do you feel similar?

deutscheasphalt

I always considered Cristiano's mastering effort to be flawless and as close to the original as possible. Was always happy to get all his AM vinyl re-issues and compare some of them to the slaughter tapes. I don't know how much of the profit (which must be huge) goes to the artist's family or whether he bought the rights somehow but I enjoyed Urashima until the weird wooden boxes came.

Baglady

I'm more than grateful for some of the reissues (some Mauthausen for example), and the label usually does a decent job with these when staying pretty close to original layouts/designs. Haven't really had any problems with the pressings, besides MO's Bloodyminded. Cramming 55+ minutes onto a single LP is never a good idea. It sounds very thin. But then I suppose the original tape ain't no hi-fi experience either, so why complain.
Those box sets though... Kinda look like some cheap-trying-to-look-luxurious gift boxes with lavender scented soap? And I've been over this before, but using comic sans...

...but on the other hand, Ultimate Ambience reissue. Looks good too. If you don't have the original pressing already, don't sleep on it.

Lazrs3

I got a loveley, well presented Atrax Morgue tape box off them and I was grateful to not have to buy Slaughter Productions Stuff off Discogs at really daft prices, this has 7 early releases on tape in a box with artwork and inserts, so I'm happy. It's called 'Early Experiments of Intense Pathological Sounds'. A friend bought me an Atrax Vinyl reissue of one of the early 'In Search of Death' so the label is good with me. I want to get the S.T.A.B. stuff they did too as I have two cds by the project which I love. Although the label releases a lot, they remain a bit of a mystery, which I like.

XXX

Quote from: Baglady on January 25, 2019, 12:06:26 AM
...but on the other hand, Ultimate Ambience reissue. Looks good too. If you don't have the original pressing already, don't sleep on it.

this highlight my 2nd point. why hasn't this been announced on this board yet? several CD box sets and more have come and gone without a peep. the 2nd reissue of Anal Perverstions with faithful artwork was never announced (and after the vitrol the 1st reissue got no less!)

Tommy Carlsson

...but on the other hand, Ultimate Ambience reissue.

Wow -- I had no idea this was happening. Makes you wonder who's getting the royalties though -- Koji's parents? Anyone know?

FallOfNature

Have a bunch of his releases, most of the Atrax Morgue, some Bizarre Uproar & friends, the Lust Vessel artists compilation. No complaints really, though I do prefer the printed art over the stuck on stuff. Overall one of the labels I pay most attention to and regularly buy.

Duncan

Quote from: Harvest on January 25, 2019, 01:07:31 AM

why hasn't this been announced on this board yet?

several CD box sets and more have come and gone without a peep

He's clearly managing to shift his releases fine through advertising on other platforms, no point posting it here if email newsletters and distro cover the production runs.  I missed out on that Masonna box the first time round but once it flew out of the door he did a second batch PLUS the cd version.  Fair enough to hedge your bets on expensive, lavish boxes and then produce more when the demand rears its head. 

Yeah, the art can be a slight toe curler at times: comic sans, arguably unnecessary embellishments in packaging and original designs when it comes to reissues...but when the material is good enough I can accept it. It's only going to bother me for a few seconds every time I pull it out to listen after all.

Unsure whether or not the 'royalties' or profit from these things are as significant as people would think but I dare say in all possible cases they go to the right places.  Should imagine anything left over simply goes back into the label?

ANDROPHILIA

i'm a big fan of Urashima project . Especially for the work of reprints of old rarities.
I hope that all the old slaughter prod. catalog sooner or later will be picked up
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Strangecross

I only own the Ten-Jin comp
It has taken me a while to get into this label because of the cover art- but I will be tracking down the M.O.(Tommy makes a good point- who gets these royalties?) stuff along with the LISTEN AND DIE, could easily pass on anything else, but not because I am concerned that an old MC will be 'pressed poorly' or something.

cr

I think Urashima is great! Always nice communication with Cristiano and the fastest delivery of all the labels I know. I wasn't there from the beginning but very soon I tried to buy every record that was released and I was interested in. Of course you could argue about new artworks etc., but there were so many reissues that I prefer to own and listen to every time I like to, no matter if the artwork is close to the original or whatever, if this makes any sense.

DSOL

Quote from: FallOfNature on January 25, 2019, 03:44:03 AM
Have a bunch of his releases, most of the Atrax Morgue, some Bizarre Uproar & friends, the Lust Vessel artists compilation. No complaints really, though I do prefer the printed art over the stuck on stuff. Overall one of the labels I pay most attention to and regularly buy.

my sentiments exactly 
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

impulse manslaughter

Great label, I do not buy everything but pick up a few releases every year. Never had any problems with inferior pressings. Also, I especially like the artwork. Do not mind some of the original artwork for the reissues has changed to maintain consistency. The only sleeves I don't really like are the white ones from 2015..

tiny_tove

just got the Controlled Death box and looks impressive, also the reissue of MSBR is very good.
I have many vinyls of the series, too many to mention, and I really appreciate all boxes and compilations (filth), too bad e never released the Italian one!
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0