Best Live Performances

Started by ConcreteMascara, December 19, 2018, 11:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

I've looked for a similar thread but found nothing. I though it would be worth having a discussion of the best live performances witnessed, outside of the context of the "Best of" year end threads. Obviously there's a certain amount of subjectivity discussing the "best" live performances, but I'm thinking of those shows which feel like life-changing, ego-smashing or soul-shaking events. bands or artists who are at the height of their powers, even if just for one tour or even one night! Or at the very least are exceptionally good. Not just the usual good set from a good night type of stuff.

I'll start off with a few, some of which aren't noise/industrial related but need to be included.

Linekraft @ Hospital Fest, Queens, 12-8-18 - I know this just happened, but this was my impetus for creating this thread. this wasn't just the best performance of the night, this was the best performance I saw all year, by leaps and bounds. literally no aspect was lacking. the music itself, absurdly loud, consistently engaging, with distinct songs. the energy level from Masahiko was 100% the whole time. the backing videos were on point. and of course you get the industrial metal drum abuse as the cherry on top. and Masahiko's use of the on/off tape recorder combined with physical flailing was like watching someone get struck by lightning over and over. totally amazing.

Jaako Vanhala @ UFoI II, London, 5-2-15 - This is the only time I've seen JV live, so my context is limited, but holy fucking shit. I think a lot of people felt this was the best performance of the weekend. It didn't hurt that it was one of the only pure harsh noise sets, but it wasn't just contrast that made it stand out. it was pure glorious noise. the sound of electrified steel that literally energized the entire audience. extremely harsh yet so joyous in its expression it was impossible to frown.

Solmania & Jojo Hiroshige @ Noise May Day 2009, Osaka, 5-09 - now I can't remember if JoJo Hiroshige played with Solmania or after... I think it was after, but I was in a very frenzied and drunken state. What I remember is an endless wall of brain melting noise from Solmania, so completely crushing and massive I could barely move and then at some point Jojo came out into the crowd swinging a cinderblock around and then the next thing I knew I was holding on to the other end spinning in a circle with him until we threw it into a wall. it was fucking nuts. and I think this was all before Masonna closed the night out with a 45 second set. But Solmania's performance made me fall in love with them forever and Jojo's reckless disregard for human safety crowned him "noise king" in my mind.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor @ the Trocadero, Philly, 3-19-11 - GY!BE were really influential on my music taste. this show was massively built up in my mind. I never thought I'd see GY!BE and I didn't expect them to live up to my mental vision and yet it was infinitely more sublime than anything i could have expected. things were immediately made more serious when 3-5 minutes into the set a girl standing near me had a seizure and carried out by her friends after a few minutes. I was in the very front for most of the 2+hr performance wondering if the music would drive me to brain overload. the visuals were stunning! the selection of tracks, many of which were from "Lift Yr. Fists", couldn't have been better. the emotional weight of the recorded music always carried was doubled in effect live. truly unforgettable. and somehow when I saw them 2 or 3 years later, so much of that magic was completely absent...

Autechre @ the Black Cat, Washington DC, 4-18-08 - this was on their tour for "Quaristice". I saw them again in support of "Exai" and it's hard to decide which was better. While the "Exai" show was 2+hrs of digital sculptures being smashed into your brain, the first time was an awesome balance of extremely detailed electronic onslaught with a backing beat you could dance to it. there was zero visual component, as Sean Brown and Rob Booth stood behind their wall of gear in a pitch dark concert hall. it was all about the music, and the music was so good it was all you needed. (and the stupid amounts of DXM pumping through my system added to the experience).

I have a few more to share but that's enough for now.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Lazrs3

SKATERS & P.A.R.A. 2009, Nottingham - This was the time when that term 'Hypogenic Pop' was going round, I don't know what it meant. I only went to this as I liked the little Skaters stuff I had at the time, mostly off that California 10 LP Box Set. The Skaters guys did solo sets which were ok, but the support act was P.A.R.A. aka Labanna Bly her set was kind of ritual/occult performance, incense and very odd noise vocals and sounds for sure. Her set was immense and odd to the point  where the Skaters guys couldn't really compete. I bought two CDRs off her 'Pentacles of Life' and 'Manifestival' and got most of everything else she did over time. P.A.R.A. was short lived and disappeared. She became a performance artist as Labanna Bly. But that body of work is great. However that performance was truly great, unlike nothing I have seen or heard since. I like Ferraro's stuff I heard since though.

http://www.rammelclub.org/2009/04/skaters-para-monopoly-child-star.html

absurdexposition

Gordon Ashworth in Vancouver 2014.
Bastard Noise soundcheck in Montreal 2015.
Blasphemy and Revenge in Montreal 2014.
Column of Heaven and Iron Lung in Vancouver 2013.
Death in June in Vancouver 2015.
The Endless Blockade in Vancouver 2010.
Flatline Construct in Montreal 2016.
Gas Chamber in Montreal 2015.
Magnetic Coroner in Montreal 2018.
The Rita every single time.
Tomb Mold every. single. time.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

totalblack

Genocide Organ - everytime
Anenzephalia - everytime
Current 93 - everytime
Death In June - Worcester, Mass 2013
Con-Dom - Mannheim 2012
Operation Cleansweep - Mannheim 2012
Day 3 of No Fun Fest 2008 - Insane lineup on this day in particular ... Werewolf Jerusalem, Shallow Waters, FFH, Halflings, Cleanse, Hair Police ... especially remember the crowd going berserk and someone giving a troublesome bouncer a boot in the face while crowdsurfing. Think that ended the set. Then Consumer Electronics w\ Dom doing the backing electronics was the highlight personally
Hair Police \ Sightings \ Wolf Eyes \ Lightning Bolt at anytime between 2005-2008 when these bands were at the top of their game
The Rita + Treriksroset collab - Berlin Nov 2018
Akitsa - live in rural Quebec 2008. Really a shit location but have ultra fond memories of this gig, due to the performances, and also Akitsa and Peste Noire both 'bouncing' any punks who wanted to mosh out of the venue repeatedly throughout the night
Bastard Noise - Montreal 2006 or 2007, seen them a few times and it's mostly been terrible but this one was great.
Alberich - live at Berghain 2017 to the absolute confusion and dismay of everyone expecting techno
Slayer in like 2003 playing Reign In Blood start to finish was great
Lots of memories of great shows in Montreal around 2006-2009 when there was actually some decent projects and a scene there, but nothing really escaped local lore

re:evolution

Quote from: totalblack on December 20, 2018, 03:13:20 AM
Alberich - live at Berghain 2017 to the absolute confusion and dismay of everyone expecting techno

I LOVE this description so much!!! Would have loved to see crestfallen faces thinking '"what the fuck is THIS?!".
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

Theodore

Quote from: totalblack on December 20, 2018, 03:13:20 AM
The Rita + Treriksroset collab - Berlin Nov 2018

I hope this is recorded and we listen it one day !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

l.b.

pedestrian deposit at milwaukee noise fest '13

Major Carew

QuoteSlayer in like 2003 playing Reign In Blood start to finish was great

I saw them on that same string of shows in London when Dave Lombardo came back to do drums for them.It was supposed to be just one night but they did two, I think? At the Astoria. I made the mistake of standing right at the front with all the total meatheads & got knocked out by an unopened can of Stella thrown from the back. That gig was fucking insane.

Eigen Bast

Lightning Bolt @ some Mexican restaurant, Santa Fe
I think this was around 2010? Completely mental show-Lighting Bolt were the loudest I have ever scene. I distinctly remember going across the street to my car to smoke a bowl and we couldn't hear each other talk, it was like they were coming out of the stereo, full blast. Audience was a single thrashing, sweat soaked organism.

Black Dice @ The High Line Ballroom, NYC
2007ish. BD had really dialed in their heavy dub material around this time, I think Load Blown had just come out. Huge sound in a small room, hypnotic bass driven tunes with majorly psychedelic projections.

Skin Crime @ Hospital Fest, Warsaw, NYC
There is an element of wish fulfillment, but Skin Crime's set was truly one of the best I have ever scene. Controlled, varied sounds, with a clear sense of narrative. It felt dialed in to the psychedelic experience in a way that felt deeply personal.

John Maus @ Washington Hall, Seattle
Its hard to imagine the intensity of his live performance based off his records, but Maus channels Masonna, thrashing around, head banging, jumping, bellowing and beating his face with fist and microphone while belting out his coked up anthems. Watching a stage diver getting tossed by an infuriated off duty cop/security guard during Cop Killer was worth the price of admission. Insane energy in that crowd!

It's hard for me disentangle the embarassment of riches that was the Albuquerque scene in the mid 00s, just non-stop killer shows and a tight knit supportive scene. Postcommodity, Mesa Ritual, William Fowler Collins,  Death Convention Singers etc etc
Much appreciation to anyone willing to take the stage/floor/back alley and lose their minds.

holy ghost

Sissy Spacek @ Coalition 2015 - Mike Du Bose on vocals - this was pure fucking noisecore bordering on Scum era grind. It was so fucking great. They just ripped so friggin' hard that night.

Pharmakon, 2013 (?) at SheBGBs Toronto - totally in your face, aggressive, kind of uncomfortable - GREAT set. Bleak as fuck DIY punk venue only added to how great this was.

Khanate 2005 @ Sneaky Dees - perfect set - perfect hateful despondent vibe - the best doom to ever exist? Pretty friggin' jazzed I caught this one.

Deche-Charge - 2017 @ Slave to the Grind Fest - Tim Morse from AC drumming, they smashed a bunch of shit, the humourless soundguy went on stage and confiscated their microphones, everyone yelling and throwing shit and jumping on stage. It was fucking great.

Anthony Braxton Septet La Sala Rosa Montreal June 2017 - I went to Montreal specifically to see Braxton, a wild performance that I will cherish in my memory for the rest of my days. My (non avant garde jazz) wife came too and was like "what the fuck dude why does all the sheet music have a bunch of shapes on it?"

Magma August 2017 - they came in 2016 and it was.... okay but to be honest I was kind of let down. Vander was sick and i was hoping for.... more. They came around again in 2017, smaller venue, better sound, and they fucking RIPPED SO HARD. All of Ëmëhntëhtt-Ré plus Mekanik Destruktiv Kommand in fucking full. Probably the best show I've ever seen. They were so fucking ON.

I've seen some other good shows but these were top.

aububs

coil - their final show before balance died
whitehouse - every time
henry chopin - want to say...2010 or something
costes - possibly around 2012 no idea
atari teenage riot - 1999 or thereabouts
idm theft able/crank sturgeon - 2013 maybe? i dunno
the cure - 1992 or '93
gx/eb.er/dando/lanz - wellenfeld performance 2013

they all come to mind, lots more

urall

Too much..

Wolf Eyes in 2004 - fist pumps in the pit
At The Gates in 1995 - first time i saw them, best time i saw them
Dystopia in .. 1997 or something
His Hero is Gone in 1998
Anathema/Gorefest/Obituary in 1994 - my first big metal show
Arab on Radar in 2000
Short Hate Temper in 1999 (?) - we had to sit through a bunch of crappy oi bands in a squat in Ghent until SHT played at 2.00 at night and tore the place apart
Caroliner in 2005 - totally weirded out
Puce Mary/LR collab set in 2014
Ancient Rites/Blood/Occult/Pentacle in 1994 - one of my first black metal shows - quite the sight seeing people with big upside down crosses around their neck, swords, knives, dudes cutting themselves and stagedive..
Every Autechre show - but probably the one in 2010 is a standout

eric faustus

I have to agree about Linekraft..

Linekraft at Hospital Fest, Queens, 12-8-18 still coming to grips with this one. Total exploding energy all around , visual and sonic overload. I've been going to shows for 30 years now and this was fucking unreal!

Painkiller, knitting factory NY, 5-16-95 I was unprepared for this. walked in as the set had already started. complete sax/bass/drum assault. featuring ex-napalm death drummer Mick Harris

Merzbow Saint Vitus, Brooklyn, 6-4-12 (with Balazs) perfect "small club" noise experience. sucked right into the vortex.

Keiji Haino solo, The Wick, Brooklyn, 3-27-14 shredding guitar feedback at earsplitting levels. he sounded possessed.

ConcreteMascara

I guess I'm nostalgic for the time when I could still attend shows so I thought I'd resurrect this topic...

While writing an unrelated email I was reminded of the two times which I saw Hiroshi Hasegawa play live. the first was 2008 No Fun Fest at the Knitting Factory in Manhattan. My friend and I showed up hammered to the show but sobered up over the course of the night. By the time ASTRO/Hiroshi Hasegawa came on to close out the night we had caught our minds and bodies were willing. I remember the him lighting an incense stick. The red glowing dot against the black background of the unlit stage. I remember being absolutely pummeled by harsh yet cosmic and psychedelic noise and most of all I remember crumpling like paper against a wall after 15 minutes or so because it felt like my brain was bleeding. Perhaps my noise tolerance was different back then or the alcohol hadn't worn off like I thought, but when I think of that set I think of being absolutely pummeled for 40 minutes. It was nearly out of body but for my intense physical reaction. There was a section that sounded like air raid sirens warning of space cruisers and my friend and I looked at each other in terror and just took it on the chin. When the incense stick went out the set ended and I felt like a volcanic stone turned smooth by the endless tumult of elemental forces. Fucking hell.

So when I readied myself to see Hasegawa playing under his own name in 2016 in Philadelphia, I mostly readied myself for disappointment because how could anything live up to that. And I'll say from the top, I don't think anything can live up to that kind of personalized mythology, but his 2016 came down close. This I saw dead sober, on a Tinder date no less with a girl who had never heard noise, in a well lit venue with a much smaller sound system. In spite of those weird surrounding elements, the set played out like one climax after another, spaced out in 3 to 5 minute increments. I believe he played for at least an hour and to my amazement it just got better and better throughout the duration. It was almost too much, sort of akin to getting your dick sucked post-orgasm. My body was tingling by the end. Infinitely better and more memorable than the sex I had later that night. 

Despite these insanely good live experiences, I think I own maybe two Hasegawa/ASTRO releases. I guess part of my hesitation stems from a feeling no recording can measure up. Playing music loud at home never compares to a good venue sound system.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Balor/SS1535

The live Snuff and Bizarre Uproar performances that used to be on the Filth & Violence youtube channel were amazing, and it was a great loss for them to have been deleted.  Hopefully they will be brought back or released as a dvd one day.