PUNK/METAL/GRIND + NOISE

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 07, 2018, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamLehrerImageMaker

I've always found Merzbow's collaborations worth listening to, he has a way of weaving his noise into the textures of the music that doesn't overpower the grooves and rhythms but does add a peculiarly psychedelic effect. My favorite examples of this include his collaborations with Full of Hell, the Merzxiu album with Xiu Xiu (I'll probably get shit for this but I've always found Jamie Stewart to be admirably iconoclastic and at times brilliant, and it's crazy to me now that Xiu Xiu was so often lumped in with the Pitchfork approved indie bands of the early 2000s when they are so much more brazenly experimental and more in line with "chilly music" than anything Deerhunter has ever put out. Liars is another band that transcended the scene it was lumped in with, but that's neither here nor there).

'The Axiom of Inhumanity' by Bastard Noise and Brutal Truth is as good as the others on here say it is.

pentd

holy ghost

Very interested in hearing this BOTFLIES + TYHJÄ PÄÄ collab - anyone have any idea who might have copies? Or a band contact?

Hakaristi

Quote from: holy ghost on December 16, 2018, 06:59:40 PM
Very interested in hearing this BOTFLIES + TYHJÄ PÄÄ collab - anyone have any idea who might have copies? Or a band contact?

There's a copy for sale on Discogs, listen here: https://botflies.bandcamp.com/album/botflies-tyhj-p

Duncan

Very often find this whole approach completely sucks and rarely gets better than A) providing token noisy/weird little interludes between tracks or B) collaborating with someone to make some throw away garbage that doesn't much sound as good as either band would on their own.

Nikudorei and Bastard Noise/MITB make it work pretty good, what I've heard of Suppression fits the bill and I love the aforementioned Merzbow/Gore Beyond Necropsy stuff...but more often than not, by the time you get into the good shit with music like this you're basically just talking about good noisecore?!

Thor

Always found this band to be overlooked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiRfrMV1sA

Kind of a nonsense band but I love the music.
A blend of black metal and harsh static noise

Fistfuck Masonanie

Balor/SS1535

One of my favorite releases that combined metal, grindcore, and noise was Reek of the Unzen Gas Fume's "Detritivorous Kamigami."  Even though they already incorporate some elements of noise into their own material (such as on "Doku"), and had previously released split albums with noise musicians, on the vinyl and cassette versions of this demo the b side consisted of several collaboration tracks with noise musicians (X.E. Reptile Womb, Antichrist Kramer, etc.).  Overall, the collaborations were all very good, as well as very different from one another.  They showcased the diversity of noise by exploring rhythm, walls of static, and collages of found sounds.

Also, I really like the idea of releasing a demo with collaboration tracks with musicians that you admire.  It's one thing to release a split with another band, but actually working together must be quite exciting.