Noise/Industrial etc. Podcasts

Started by xdementia, November 21, 2018, 03:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NocturnalHiss

can't believe nobody has posted about merzcast/noisextra yet

www.noisextra.com

definitely a heavy hitter in the category of "two guys talking to each other about noise records for an hour"

theworldisawarfilm

Quote from: NocturnalHiss on November 14, 2019, 02:55:03 AM
can't believe nobody has posted about merzcast/noisextra yet

www.noisextra.com

definitely a heavy hitter in the category of "two guys talking to each other about noise records for an hour"

Sorry, but I really wish they would start dropping some more guest/interview eps. I was totally enthralled by the Skin Crime episode, but speaking for myself here, an hour of less-than-insightful (really referring to one contributor here specifically) track-by-track descriptions of albums is pretty tiresome at this point. I can only hear "YEAH THIS TRACK TOTALLY GAVE ME LIKE A ______ VIBE! I FELT LIKE I WAS ______!! AGH SO AMAZING!" so many times. Not trying to shit all over it here, I'm a weekly listener, but it seems to be really lacking some depth, concision and intrigue as of late.

Bruitiste

Strangecross

more crazy no one mentions LOUD LOUDER LOUDEST
but it is just solid block of noise. I would like to see more full track on podcasts though. great when you can't decide what to listen to

FreakAnimalFinland

Listened all new things, and latest one at this moment, MURDEROUS VISION is nice!
https://harshtruthspodcast.wordpress.com/2020/02/17/episode-15-murderous-vision/
It is perhaps unusual as it is dark industrial stuff, no harsh noise.
Also, template is changed in this case. Dealing less with early childhood and "personal issues", and more of... should it be said "european" approach or just... industrial approach? But, Petrus won't come up as distant or "pretentious" at all. He is very much personal, and deals with the day to day live and personal problems, but just different ways that it has been heard in previous episodes.

The one with Luke, good one too, but occasionally it feels a bit too "insiders only" approach, when we are talking about things like greatness of girlfriends cooking skills and hospitality... Well, of course it is just a fraction of podcast that tend to be long enough to include substance you are likely not to get in written interview.

The element that is not my taste, is the overt correctness. Of course it is good to not be bombarded by cursing and insults all the time, but there is this element of not being really even that honest about it. I think I mentioned the compliments given to Taint, but warning people content includes strong subject matter like sex workers etc.. Well, yep, but it's not really the harsh truth about Taint. In episode with Luke, host himself goes in length explaining the problematic nature of supporting artists who may have questionable content. It goes on and on, with worried tone about how one does not want to give money to person or to things that may be hurtful for noise community... and eventually when after minutes is able to phrase the conclusion, it is said that there is need for material to be "thoughtful".  And that is seemingly the opposition of... I don't know... cryptofascist? Misogynist?

I don't know what is the problem of just saying the harsh truth, that one prefers not to listen and buy items that reek of misogyny, racism and such. That one does not like orgies in filth that consist seemingly just mockery towards victims and ridiculing, dehumanizing and stomping vulnerable groups of people. I would assume many people would just nod and say "yep, sounds about right". But to just revolve around subject and makes excuses and give impression as sXe and veganism would be somehow "thoughful" in history of noise / industrial, oh man...  I'm in all favor of sXe and veganism, so that is not what I imply. More that given impression is as if the vegan sXe USA harsh noise is the "thoughful" and the rest would not be - simply because some artist may have offended someone during history of genre and remains vague, open to interpret, and demanding listened to go through seemingly problematic content. And doing it "again", despite someone supposedly did that 40 years ago.

Despite these couple criticisms, I would advocate everybody to listen harsh truths podcasts! It seems to kind of remain in shadow of Noisextra, yet there is no reason really. approach is different, artists it deals with is totally different. If you like USA harsh noise of this age, this should be something to check out. MURDEROUS VISION episode adds nice additional flavor, although of course ENVENOMISTS piece was there too. And Koufar. and... perhaps other non- HN stuff too?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

deutscheasphalt

The mentioned "thoughtfulness" is meaningless - anything is thoughtful, so nothing is. The term is just being used as expression of a hope that the person behind the "questionable" material is actually someone whose values align with theirs so they can support with confidence. However, it is extremely difficult to draw a line with this; starting from judging the creator's ideological outlook on society by mostly artwork and choice of title(s) over to judging whether supporting the artist and spread of their material is actually harmful to society or the scene.
Both seems very hard to do, so if the artist's views are not known for a fact or the causal link for harm cannot be established then I would agree with you here - be honest and just say you don't like it or that you're not sure instead of using weasel-words like thoughtfulness.

Also deciding between buying music for personal enjoyment and not buying it to not support someone who might be misogynist/racist/etc. should not be a dilemma I think. If you're unsure then just don't buy it, it's not a big deal.

Bloated Slutbag

As far as the thoughtfulness goes, it makes more sense with reference to some of the earlier Harsh Truths like the PTM Jim episode, the Shame Cup, the Breaking The Will, and the Thousands Of Dead Gods. IIRC All kind of touch on that and might better flesh out where the presenter et al is coming from. I haven't listened to all of them so maybe the subject is continually referenced. It's interesting to me regardless of how it is said or who is saying it. Though I will concede the way it is kind of lipserviced in the Luke Tandy episode also kinda jars for me. But that's fine, people just seemingly engaged in trying, honestly, to work through whatever contradictions they may feel (or not feel), however harsh the truth of it.

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on March 01, 2020, 08:07:08 AM
As far as the thoughtfulness goes, it makes more sense with reference to some of the earlier Harsh Truths like the PTM Jim episode, the Shame Cup, the Breaking The Will, and the Thousands Of Dead Gods. IIRC All kind of touch on that and might better flesh out where the presenter et al is coming from. I haven't listened to all of them so maybe the subject is continually referenced. It's interesting to me regardless of how it is said or who is saying it. Though I will concede the way it is kind of lipserviced in the Luke Tandy episode also kinda jars for me. But that's fine, people just seemingly engaged in trying, honestly, to work through whatever contradictions they may feel (or not feel), however harsh the truth of it.

I'd meant to come back to this after realizing I'd essentially lipserviced the lipservicing of the, er. Let me start again. Go back through a good number of the episodes and the subject of thoughtfulness comes up, sometimes wrt more pc-oriented concerns per FreakAnimalFinland and sometimes not. The running theme there for me was, thoughtfulness, in its realest sense. As in, y'know the idea or ideal of bringing more legit thought into the work. It's an ideal that's been batted around at least as long as people have been making the shit. It's an ideal that for me partly delineates the respective camps of noise and pe. It's an ideal whose value I'd sometimes question as far as consistently delivering the stuff that objectively tickles the earbone. But regardless not I would imagine a terribly controversial ideal and possibly useful in trying to approach the work critically. To back up for a sec and wonder, if but briefly, what in hell one is supposed to be getting out of the shit.
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Checked Harsh Truths doing Rusalka and the person responsible for the project comes off as exceptionally blessed of intellect, always nice. There were also very brief samples, maybe three of them, of the project. And somehow, finally, I'm thinking I will have to convert. And thinking I should be kicking myself for the apparently less-than-blissful ignorance. There's this sense of raw energy in there that I had not previously perceived.

And then the bit where the host pulls out the idear that theremin is something alien to noise and here's me suddenly feeling.... oooold. Don't nobody remember when it felt like everyone and their noise were plugging in the theremins? Incaps- one time declared "Theremin Brothers" a la El Shanbara Therminosis, er, anyone?

Fucking old.

And take you for a drag

Bruitiste

Haven't had the chance to dive in yet but really looking forward to hearing the latest Harsh Truths episode with Dilloway.

FreakAnimalFinland

That theremin discussion was add indeed! I thought theremins used to be very popular. I sold my own away when it was basically used to extent that couldn't find any new use for it.

Dilloway interview is part good, part not. It is quite amazing to have interview in noise podcast, where it takes like 45 minutes out of 2 hours to get into NOISE. Haha.. I mean, it's not totally useless information to discuss how it was that you grew into noise.... but if at 45 mins moment we're still talking about learning KISS on guitar and every grunge band he played in for few rehrearsals, one could modestly hope that fast forward a bit to the NOISE.

There are some great nuggets of information and indeed it is quite odd feeling listening about the mid 2000's era of noise, to realize he was running Hanson as full time work, living out of noise mailorder. Of course, that is not unheard, but nevertheless!

This is almost like opposte for Rusalka interiew. This time the host barely asks things, and dilloway has 20 minutes monologue. It also means that unlike many other episodes, it is less about the podcast hosts views and ideas, and the guest basically does talking almost exclusively.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

aububs

i found all that stuff about diloway's path thru music really interesting and fun

it's fine and good to talk about noise but it's also great to hear how people arrive at where they are

it's also good when hosts talk less

Zeno Marx

Quote from: aububs on April 25, 2020, 04:12:55 PM
i found all that stuff about diloway's path thru music really interesting and fun

it's fine and good to talk about noise but it's also great to hear how people arrive at where they are
I appreciated how that interview progressed, but that's a dangerous approach, too.  Depends on how articulate and interesting the subject is.  ADilloway was able to recall his story with details and whatnot.  I too find all that stuff interesting.  Who were their mentors, even if they floated by a record bin with a friendly comment, or siblings or siblings of friends or whoever.  Associations that created interest in the next musics.  Caust/effect.  But some people are just duds at storytelling or explaining what they do and why they do it.  It's a skill.  This podcast host seems to be a problem for some, but a lot of people wouldn't be able to create the right atmosphere for this kind of interview.  I like how he does things, and I'm fine with him speaking his conscience and delving into his own relationship with his listening/buying/following.  Making conversation rather than just nuts and bolts.

Quote from: aububs on April 25, 2020, 04:12:55 PM
it's also good when hosts talk less
Depends on which host.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

aububs

i have no issue with the harsh truth host, they create a good atmosphere and facilitate disclosure very well, but with respect to them, i'm there to listen to dilloway/ramirez/whoever and not to them