Industrial Techno

Started by xdementia, October 26, 2018, 12:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdementia

I guess I have a pretty loose interpretation of industrial but I think the acts I listed have an industrial characteristic to their style. It may be closer to 30% industrial vs. 70% techno but anything greater than 10% industrial I think you could call industrial techno. I do actually enjoy Ancient Methods quite a bit.

Other projects I enjoy that I forgot to mention:

Simon Schall
https://youtu.be/ye5COGR55u8

Silent Servant (he was going to play here Friday but canceled, boo!)
https://youtu.be/YKLdUmXf8Zs

JT Whitfield
https://youtu.be/BosK8cvKTMY

Thanks for the suggestions most of the stuff mentioned here has been great so far!

Soloman Tump

This is definitely techno but with fingers in industrial pies.

I listen to this quite a lot, also loads of good stuff on the parent label Perc Trax

http://perctrax.bandcamp.com/album/bitter-music

Jaakko V.

Quote from: re:evolution on October 28, 2018, 10:34:26 PMauto-tuned vocals

This effect should be banned by law. Cher was enough!

Just this morning I was listening to British Murder Boys, which I guess fits the description.

Decrepitude

Quote from: Salamanauhat on November 01, 2018, 10:46:25 AM

Just this morning I was listening to British Murder Boys, which I guess fits the description.

I have also been listening to the British Murder Boys and earlier Surgeon 12"'s in the last few months. I don't know if someone wants to split hairs about that stuff being industrial or not but it's punishing that' for sure.

Theodore

"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Decrepitude on November 01, 2018, 12:35:29 PM

I have also been listening to the British Murder Boys and earlier Surgeon 12"'s in the last few months. I don't know if someone wants to split hairs about that stuff being industrial or not but it's punishing that' for sure.

See this is where genre revisionism starts to drive me crazy. When the BMB releases were originally coming out there was no such genre as industrial techno. They were just described as hard edged techno. The entire BMB run is undoubtedly great but its just really good techno. You could argue that the Jim Jones samples and related make it industrial but Regis was doing this prior to the start of BMB, and those older Regis releases are again just really good techno.
I see it all the time now where 90s and early 2000s techno 12"s are re-labeled industrial techno and its like wtf. We're just relabeling shit 20 years later now?
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Jaakko V.

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 01, 2018, 04:01:34 PM
Quote from: Decrepitude on November 01, 2018, 12:35:29 PM

See this is where genre revisionism starts to drive me crazy. When the BMB releases were originally coming out there was no such genre as industrial techno. They were just described as hard edged techno. The entire BMB run is undoubtedly great but its just really good techno. You could argue that the Jim Jones samples and related make it industrial but Regis was doing this prior to the start of BMB, and those older Regis releases are again just really good techno.
I see it all the time now where 90s and early 2000s techno 12"s are re-labeled industrial techno and its like wtf. We're just relabeling shit 20 years later now?

Valid points. The way I've understood the term is not really as a genre in itself or genre revisionism, but as a descriptor like dark techno, filthy techno, or in some cases "industrial techno", to be applied maybe afterwards, to describe something as gritty, and hard, invoking "industrial" atmospheres, to separate it for example from some slick and neat German sound. There is also a slight and often noticed resemblance in aesthetics of the Downwards label with proper industrial records. But yeah, I get the irritation.

QuoteYou could argue that the Jim Jones samples and related make it industrial

Also, isn't that a Whitehouse sample on the BMB 12" ('Learn Your Lesson') from 2003?

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Salamanauhat on November 01, 2018, 04:37:14 PM
QuoteYou could argue that the Jim Jones samples and related make it industrial

Also, isn't that a Whitehouse sample on the BMB 12" ('Learn Your Lesson') from 2003?

I think that's right. the BMB gigs were infamous because they'd DJ Whitehouse tracks and related into their sets and Regis would yell and holler over the sets making it something closer to. it all came full circle when Downwards put out a Cut Hands 12" years later.

To speak to both your point and SILVUM's, yeah Downwards are the real deal and have always had a "harder" and/or "darker" aesthetic to the label, track titles, sound etc etc. the Detroit sound was stripped of its warmth and future-forward positivity and made into something more immediate, more inhuman. and these were guys listening to Throbbing Gristle, Godflesh and Scorn, rather than coming from disco and Motown.

Again to SILVUM's post and an earlier one, I think there's a consistent by many music listeners from other genres that techno is easy to make and it's where talent goes to die. Shitty techno is easy to make. Lasting and meaningful releases are few and far between. functionality will always be a part of any dance music genre, as it's there to make people move, but the best releases in any genre can do that while being worth hearing again and again at home. at the end of the day there's a lot of really good techno out there for anyone who wants to dive into a genre with a 30 year history. there's also an insane amount of releases in the genre every month so you can go broke just buying new shit from Hardwax. but to dismiss an entire genre because of an uninformed bias is to limit your own range of music to enjoy. not something I'm willing to do, at least in this context, but to each his own.
[death|trigger|impulse]

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: SILVUM on November 01, 2018, 06:57:04 PM
Quote from: ConcreteMascara on November 01, 2018, 06:14:32 PM...  to dismiss an entire genre because of an uninformed bias is to limit your own range of music to enjoy. not something I'm willing to do, at least in this context, but to each his own.

I'm not dismissing anything unheard and listen to whatever comes across my path, i'm just saying that lots of these newer things fall below my personal listening standards (most people here I assume have not listened to as much techno, so just my personal reaction) and there are mountains of similar works that meet these needs.

Even most fake Basic Channel imitation dub techno while "good" doesnt land in the archive for frequent listening, i'm just mean and critical.

Im sure people that collect Classical recordings are horrified by people that have a couple basic Beethovens.

Regarding Detroit, there are works where Im turned off by the spirituality that feels overbearing and I hate soulful vocals, but there is a wide range of clinical cold work.  Even starting with basic like Jeff Mills theres tons of robotic scientific cold music, or some Robert Hood  sadly hes religious, but there are some finely executed purely geometric works throughout his earlier years.

Edit: Rereading my rant, it seems non-constructive, sorry, sitting at work.  Please percieve the intent as a heavy handed encouragement to look around as theres lots of music that would satisfy these interests beyond this newer stuff   Sorry to be negative.

My own post was unclear. I was not suggesting that you're doing that, rather that many other people here and elsewhere might do it.
[death|trigger|impulse]

Soloman Tump

25 years of Downwards event coming up in London, just so happens to be at my favourite London venue too

http://www.corsicastudios.com/whats-on/november-2018/individual-collective-x-downwards-25-years/

Zeno Marx

This is confusing for someone who has little, or no, knowledge of this particular world.  After listening to the Oake and Samuel Kerridge albums, I'm lost as to why it would be called anything techno.  Is it simply because the artists are coming out of techno?  And how does industrial techno differ from what is happening on Ant-Zen, Hands, and Hymen (and probably other labels and private releases, but since my ignorance begins where those labels end...)?  Just looking for a little clarification and why this would have its own sub-genre and not be enveloped in already established places.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Strangecross

for the most part I have no clue what anyone is talking about in this thread, but I am positive that I could suggest S. English.
I have only heard the LP  called Eris but i think anyone looking into modern industiral techno would fancy this - and I do believe it is INDUSTRIAL and TECHNO in a pure way.

xdementia

I'm starting to appreciate the apprehensive and confused enthusiasm in this thread.

ONE

Quote from: xdementia on November 06, 2018, 09:07:17 PM
I'm starting to appreciate the apprehensive and confused enthusiasm in this thread.

This thread is fucked: it's utterly chimeric, and it needs to decide what it wants to be...  Referencing big room, fat, meaty, faster-paced operators like Dax J can only serve to confuse.  It's just dance music for people who like something harder and faster.

British Murders Boys were exceptional samplers: Exhibit A > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_2OGBh5x0  Exhibit B > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeiCJcP8-ag

It's worth mentioning that Surgeon (one half of BMB has said he cringes when he hears the term Industrial Techno).

resist the things you can find everywhere

ONE

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 02, 2018, 09:02:14 PM
After listening to the Oake and Samuel Kerridge albums, I'm lost as to why it would be called anything techno.  

Bingo!

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 02, 2018, 09:02:14 PM
Is it simply because the artists are coming out of techno?  

No.  It's because their records are being released by individuals/labels on loose space labels (who oddly are considered definitive) like Downwards, who whilst having their own aesthetic per se essentially released anything they wanted - because that's what they wanted - and they could.

EDIT:   Bad music is easy to make.  Bad techno is easy to make.  Excellent techno is NOT easy to make.   cf. Monolake.
resist the things you can find everywhere