Special Interest
October 16, 2018, 06:01:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's that one indispensable piece of gear in your collection ?  (Read 1203 times)
Euro Trash Bazooka
user

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »

It's only my opinion but I can't stand Microkorgs. They sound tinny and extremely digital, and I can't deal with fixed architecture in synths anymore. To each their own obviously

Its not necessarily my "best" synth - I use a Microbrute and Monologue as well. Its a bit limited, but its quite versatile within those limits and easily manipulated (for me). If a track needs just a bit more a small synth part or anything extra, I go to the Microkorg first. Not to knock the other synths I have, but I find those pretty interchangeable. I could replace either with something like a Minilogue or Bass Station and I would be more than fine. Can't ever replace my Microkorg.

I hear you. Obviously, it's also about what's available and affordable around you, and how savvy you get with it. I think I became a gear snob with time, being surrounded with people owning nice gear and all (although that's not the case when it comes to synths.) Like, I tried all of the ones you mentioned and didn' t enjoy them because I first bought an MS20 (bad idea when you have no clue about how synthesis and patching work, which means it took me a good 3 years before I started having real fun with it) and was lucky enough to find a vintage monophonic synth rotting in a basement once, and the owner let me go away with it for barely nothing. So I got used to analog warmth and creating sounds out of nothing, which are nice feelings I haven't found in any of those recent synths. I tried though. The old synth is heavy and a pain to carry around, and it doesn't accept sequencers so I'm building my own 6U case to replace it. And in the meantime some friends of mine do killer stuff with Minilogues and whatnot but they're definitely not for me.

DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/
monotome
moderate user

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »

compressor

I second this, it really helps to beef up the sound without coloring it differently. Maybe a slight change in dynamics for the better.

Also not a piece of gear, but recording straight to tape from the mixer, so good for murky sounds, density or pushing volume levels.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:52:52 PM by monotome » Logged
Dyecap

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 10:43:31 AM »

Other than a few homemade fuzz and filter boxes...
My trusty crusty Tandberg 1/4" tape recorder -

- has its own decrepit character.
Also would not get rid of Aguilar gs 2x12 600w cab

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: