5.3.2010 FIN, Helsinki: ANTIchildLEAGUE (uk), UMPIO, MANIC/DEPRESSION, ELECZEMA.

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 01, 2010, 01:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Any foreign people planning for visit, ask for information if you need.
Public venue in Helsinki, foreign visitors can ask for ticket reservation etc.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Should be. But I think attempt to have doors open at 21:00 or 21:30. But upstairs is open anytime of course.

FreakAnimalFinland

Difficult day to get logistics to work, but infact, as usual in S.I.C.K. gigs, soundchecks done in time, and everything ready without delays. Slowly incoming crowd was the reason why decided to delay 10 minutes with first band.
MANIC / DEPRESSION, seen it before, and it was ok'ish. But now, I dare to say they came as winner of the event. Simply brutal tape-noise and cruel power electronics. Modified walkman without motor, but functions tape heads, hole in side of walkman where mr. M/D was pulling out tape, making very nice malformed noise sounds somewhere between fastforwards, slowed down, distorted, blullers. Other devices with some effects, distortions, raw tape sources. Vocal sound worked well too. I think, that with sound as noisy as this, he could have performed also purely instrumental pieces just for audiodamage. But I won't complain of intensive vocals!

Eleczema started slowly. Droney feedback loop, humming electronics and other things, with the trademark vocals of T.Myöhänen, which belongs in my opinion to very top of the genre. Start was pretty quiet. It started to build intensity and volume, and in middle of set finally louder songs started. Pulsating PE and one track even danceable semi-melodic industrial muzak! Strange choise, but in the end, it was perhaps one of the best songs in set. But then... what happened? Suddenly the magickal grip on the gear seemed to slip away and volumes dropped very randomly, songs fall apart and you didn't exactly know did it end now, or not. Abrupt re-starts with samples, clumsy fades of sounds in & out. Con-Dom style phaser type of vocal effect and pretty amusing high pitched electronics.. but artists fading volume so low, you suddenly heard vocals acoustic from stage. PA and amps where all just fine. Don't know what happened with focus, but that's something people should take care of. If set would have ended at its climax, I'd say this would be very good. Now with last 5-10 minutes being such a clumsy thing, can't rate it too close to band at his best.

Umpio had misfortune to withness one of the amps blew up just when he was about to start. Well, with one more amp and PA, it was still going. Brutal clashing metals, overdriven broken piezzo contact mic'ed metal objects, a lot of physical banging and crushing. Somewhere in middle, he started to lose the forus maybe, but got again better by the end. Perhaps more amps on stage power he'd be more in his element than with relatively clean PA systems? Definitely material what demands more gut-wrecking volume instead of just ear torture.

AntiChildLeague set was clearly a failure where artists wasn't happy how things went. Simply technical problems with mixer, effects .. or something yet unknown what made vocals pretty much unheard. Music itself, didn't sound bad at all, when you didn't see what was happening on stage. You could easily enjoy the pulsating "euro pe" atmosphere, but as soon as you knew the hassle on stage, I think it just wasn't the "same" ACL what I've seen perform very strong live shows. But this is how it sometimes goes. I've been in very similar situations when man vs. technology battle hasn't been very favourable for doing good liveshow...   Lesson learned is: keep it simple. What works in studio, may not work live.

Counting people who paid in, hang-arounds & helpers etc, I guess about 80 or even 90 people? I consider it pretty good for event with kind of low profile artists. Next time few things taken care of better, overall night went were smoothly. Special mention for SS kommander for delivering some of the most bizarre/retarted/obscure DJ music!

heretogo

Umpio was the star of the evening for me. I actually liked the relatively clean & quiet (well, not really...) sound. The details were much easier to appreciate, all that sexy metal-on-metal action was not buried in masses of feedback and frenzy. Nothing against more power and volume but this was refreshing to me. It's nice to see how Pena has honed his skills little by little, he will be a noise champion in not-so-distant future...
Manic/Depression was quite good, nice organic rumble noise. Would have been even better without the vocals, didn't add anything to the action, too generic. But that's the case with many PE acts, very few have the voice to make it work for me.
Eleczema started out pretty ok but degenerated quickly to a tiresome mess. No clear idea or direction to be seen or heard.
And finally ACL - not bad but fairly uninteresting anyway. I don't know if I would have liked it much more even without the technical problems, just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Borellus

I was positively surprised by Maniac/Depression. I really like his track on Nyrkki&Kyrpä so I was expecting good live too. It really topped my expectations. Fucking harsh and uncompromising set, pure gold from beginning to the end.

Like Mikko said: Umpio's set would've worked better with more volume. His set never seemed to reach a clear peak. Sometimes also looked like if Pentti was a little lost when planning the next move. Anyhow, it was a fine set overall. A little calmer than what I've seen before, but it was a nice change. There can't be a bad set with such nonstruments.

Henrik III

M/D has definitely improved a lot from the previous performances (well, that fart machine gig was fairly OK though). Vocals were somewhat redundant to these ears as organic noise rumble was just great, a bit more powerful sound would have given some extra oomph. Umpio's youthful enthusiasm and energy is always a pleasure to observe. Out of the two solo sets I have witnessed, sound-wise this lacked the power and stayed in the more restraint domain but still good.  

As for ACL, I recall liking her fierce performance in London quite but this time especially vocals suffered the tech issues, also I wonder if the laptop screen "backdrop" video was exactly a good idea?

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on March 06, 2010, 01:30:41 PM
Special mention for SS kommander for delivering some of the most bizarre/retarted/obscure DJ music!
Heheh, I would hardly call CMX, Sielun veljet and King Crimson (which were a major share of night's playlist) obscure or bizarre but entertaining and refreshing in any case!

kettu

Quote from: heretogo on March 06, 2010, 03:00:53 PM
Umpio was the star of the evening for me. I actually liked the relatively clean & quiet (well, not really...) sound.

im with this. was the other amp really dead at this point because the volume level was just right to be heard without any eartampons and everything came through really nicely. my first time seeing or hearing that guy so needless to say I was kind of impressed. impressed enough to make a slogan for him: dass ist gut.

I did drift off for a little while in the middle( in my head, I didnt actually leave) but the beginning and the end were worthy of 10 points and a parrot sign.