UMPIO appreciation

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 08, 2018, 03:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

It may seem awkward to praise too much Umpio, when the man himself lurks on this forum occasionally. But can't really use that as excuse while listening to new CD reissue: Pantanothing.

Narcolepsia and Ominous recordings did nice job with good quality cardboard sleeve re-issue. 2014-2016 era Umpio compiles together harsh junk works as well as more electronic works. They blend in nicely. All material was published in 2017 as tape, but clearly labels thought it's too good to remain small tape edition, therefore CD was issued.

It's easy to see and hear how release is sort of ahead of early days Muelas -album era. It has sonically similarity with 3" on Freak Animal. That release is such a intense release, it's not easy to match the unexpect collision of sharp clarity and brutality, all compressed into short duration. We have partly the same thing here, but stretched to longer release. Coarse and brutalist junk noise tracks, but also atmospheric electronics and things between.

Listening to Umpio / Creation Through Destruction split tape, prooves it's sometimes hard to say if Umpio has advanced or not. It changes, but quality is always there. This split material is from 2014 and hyperactive blasting harsh noise is occasionally seemingly more intense and with more punch than some later works, but in other hand, other works have other qualities that make them better.

Fractured timeline makes it harder to see how Umpio has developed his style. Some of these 2010-15 recordings that fall into harsh noise era, have been published a bit later or yet to properly be distributed. Meanwhile, there was Opium Electronics series that took sound to new realms. Latest tape I noticed to be published in 2018, is also older works recorded c. 3 years ago?  Meanwhile, as far as I know, project has been approaching digital modular approach. But injecting the experiments of digital modulations into analogue treatment of running it through tapes etc. It is most likely different what some people expect Umpio to be, but already now project has proven that it has many faces and unusual personal style for both source sounds and composition.

I have hard time to conclude the absolute highlights of Umpio discography. Of course Freak Animal's releases are among them, being reasons why I put them out. But then again, some small print run old tape may feel like ripping all things apart, being most intense material produced to date. Making one feel that there should be more coherent collection of 10 years of Umpio!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

metalpunk

UMPIO is great! Pentti has very special style and feel. I especially love his live performances. Raw sounds but precise (even rhytmic) action. Total control but at the same time versatile and playful. Worth checking this out if someone still doesn't know it.

ConcreteMascara

I'm a bit biased as well but I agree, Umpio is one of the best when it comes to harsh noise. In part because he does so much more than just harsh noise. I really enjoy the early CDrs like the Karuseries and Kanyon. Sauna is indisputably great, I prefer it even to Muelas as far as his high energy harsh blasts go. but then he does the killer lowkey Opium Electronix series which is equally good with and without ingesting opium before listening. another highlight to me is the collab with Taklamakan, Interaxion Venenosa. I think that one was also the first proper LP release and it works perfectly with the format.

I'm still really fond of the collab that Umpio and I did together. I think Pentti's mastering and mixing really elevated it into something interesting and unique for both of our discographies.

And FA mentions the newer digital modular, crazy FM synthesis and other digital material. I've good chunk of this unreleased material and it's really fucking good. Different sounds but same deft touch. Hoping to release one of these unreleased albums in the future on Vanity.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Jaakko V.

Quote from: metalpunk on September 08, 2018, 05:26:25 PM
UMPIO is great! Pentti has very special style and feel. I especially love his live performances. Raw sounds but precise (even rhytmic) action. Total control but at the same time versatile and playful. Worth checking this out if someone still doesn't know it.

I second that. Technically Umpio is definitely one of the most skilled yet entertaining live acts to witness. A real character with complete control over his partially self-built gear, with incredible improvisational skills and ability to 'play' the situation itself, whatever happens. Certainly unique, at least I have never seen anyone do it like he does.

Soloman Tump

The only Pentti release I have is SM/DP - Fault-Tolerant System which is a rather interesting found-sound compilation album which consistently churns out digitally altered samples into 6 tracks of warped constructs.

Lazrs3

I reviewed Umpio's Tripamishqi tape on Heathen Harvest years ago, I really got into the early releases I got from the Terror label at the time.
https://heathenharvest.org/2013/06/16/umpio-tripamishqi/

FreakAnimalFinland

UMPIO / DEVELOPER split 2xtape
Cipher
Two C-30 split tapes in black plastic bag and insert. Not sure if there is specific reason why this is two split tapes, not solo tape from each? Or one C-60 split.. Well, whatever the reason, first of all, Umpio is flawless on this, but while Developer has had plenty of hit & miss releases, this particular one is brilliant. Opening side is totally great track. It's kind of useless to start dissect what exactly goes on within 4 sides of tapes, but when saying good old harsh noise, it pretty much covers it. Never boring, never conceptual, never glichy or punchless. Never too edited, but neither lazy.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Kuollutmato

New Tunkio release. Split with Edge of Decay.

OFR-027: Edge of Decay / Umpio – Declaration Split C30

https://obsessivefundamentalrealism.blogspot.com/2018/09/out-now-september-18-batch.html
Edge of Decay ✖️ Vigilantism  ✖️ facebook.com/edgeofdecay

C601

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 19, 2018, 04:08:29 PM
UMPIO / DEVELOPER split 2xtape
Cipher
Two C-30 split tapes in black plastic bag and insert. Not sure if there is specific reason why this is two split tapes, not solo tape from each? Or one C-60 split.. Well, whatever the reason, first of all, Umpio is flawless on this, but while Developer has had plenty of hit & miss releases, this particular one is brilliant. Opening side is totally great track. It's kind of useless to start dissect what exactly goes on within 4 sides of tapes, but when saying good old harsh noise, it pretty much covers it. Never boring, never conceptual, never glichy or punchless. Never too edited, but neither lazy.
I have this and it's great gets plenty of listens

pentd

well well whaddawe have here............... thanks for the roses, ladies!!

i can only say that sometimes stuff gets recorded, then reworked into composition fairly quickly, but sometimes they dont get released till after a while... sometimes a long while. the good side of this is that the potty glamour disappears and with perspective of time it helps to compile more solid material. but sometimes stuff goes to the label, then comes out after forever. some labels are quicker.

you know how it is.

personally i dont think it is important anymore to release the newest material, or about at the same time of recording, or even every single fart... if an album feels incomplete, it needs time.  and if the label needs time, then it needs time.

if anyone cares bout where i'm takin the elektronix nowadays, there's 2 klips here, top of page, still relevant in 2018:
www.umpio.com/audio

till soon, dogs!