Best sampler?

Started by .:Will:., September 04, 2018, 04:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JensDasse

Hi....I was simply finding out about the bigger SP-16 Toraiz and it's a great machine. Extremely ideal to have those Prophet-6 channels as well. Would have been insane cool assuming each voice had a channel yet, the cost would have presumably been more than the $2200 MPCX with a large portion of the usefulness. Still Pioneer is putting out some quite sweet samplers.

quick turn pcb assembly services

HateSermon

I just recently picked up the SP 404 SX and it's so god damn fun to play around with. Highly recommended. So far it's been pretty easy to use and being able to resample your samples with different effects has yield some pretty nasty results. I'm especially fond of the isolator.

U235

SP 404 SX is a very good sampler, it has very good effects, but only one at a time.
Its sequencer is impractical and limited. It was my first instrument.

host body

Just played around with pickup machines on the Octatrack, a Lyra8 and a feedback chain last night. Pickup machines are basically loopers, you have 8 looper channels with a shared max lenght of just over 4 minutes for 24 bit sound and just under 9 minutes for 12 bit sound. Sampling the loops is fairly easy, you can use a midi controller pedal and do it with your foot if you wish. Amazingly powerful and fun to layer loops, fade them in & out and program different effects to the crossfader. It's such a musical device, easily the best sampler I've tried.

drohen

This is a free digital one I made that works in the browser (some devices/browsers it might not work):
https://drohen.com/schallvernichtung.html

Into_The_Void

Quote from: host body on June 21, 2021, 10:58:39 AM
Just played around with pickup machines on the Octatrack, a Lyra8 and a feedback chain last night. Pickup machines are basically loopers, you have 8 looper channels with a shared max lenght of just over 4 minutes for 24 bit sound and just under 9 minutes for 12 bit sound. Sampling the loops is fairly easy, you can use a midi controller pedal and do it with your foot if you wish. Amazingly powerful and fun to layer loops, fade them in & out and program different effects to the crossfader. It's such a musical device, easily the best sampler I've tried.

It is. To re-sample and re-shape is in my opinion the best device on earth. I´ve never played that much with the pickup machines because I don´t loop that much live (but I often do it with pre-recorded samples on the single tracks) but I´m sure it works flawless, I have to try one day.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

-NRRRRK-

Since I want to use loops in future material I got me the Koala software-sampler for iOS last week. Works on iphone and ipad, can record direct or load samples. Basic functions are cutting to length, looping, sequencer and a couple of effects (verb, delay, stutter, dirt, etc.), which can be reached in "performance"-mode. Time-stretch and other features can be unlocked via in-app-purchase.

Got no experience with hardware samplers, so this seems like a really good starting point. And 3,99 EUR is just right to experiment.

tiny_tove

Quote from: U235 on May 02, 2021, 01:23:48 AM
SP 404 SX is a very good sampler, it has very good effects, but only one at a time.

The new SP-404 MKII enables to use multieffect feature. Should arrive in Italy next month
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

U235

Quote from: tiny_tove on December 16, 2021, 05:28:08 PM
Quote from: U235 on May 02, 2021, 01:23:48 AM

The new SP-404 MKII enables to use multieffect feature. Should arrive in Italy next month

I saw the specifications of the MKII version, it looks much better indeed. On my side, I complete the MKI with an MPC5000, but I find it a bit heavy both even if the MPC allows to make 8 tracks recorder on hard disk, I have a bit the feeling that it makes double.
Are you satisfied with the MKII version ?

Cementimental

Koala Sampler app on iOS/android is deceptively simple but really amazing