Keeping up with what's happening?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 13, 2018, 04:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monotome

Quote from: deutscheasphalt on July 13, 2018, 05:11:20 PM
And no, It's not crucial to keep up.

Quoted and improved. I do not care.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Si Clark on July 14, 2018, 06:23:13 PMMainly this forum, the new releases thing on discogs, notifications from bandcamp and emails of newsletters/updates from certain labels.
Same.  Forums are really my only active seeking, and I'm usually filling in back catalogue more than gaining the new.  Otherwise, email notifications from bandcamp and label and artist website subscriptions are my passive method.  I don't know how much of a hassle it is for artists/labels to use bandcamp notifications or to install a subscription service on a website, but I really appreciate it when they do.

Are there any podcasts that talk about experimental musics, or at least touch upon them in a consistent and substantial way, while talking about other things like metal or hardcore?  I don't mean playlists.  Discussions or the contemporary version of Maximum Rock N' Roll columns.  Could be short.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

Like for many others, my sources are this forum, a few distributors, the new releases feature on Discogs (although I very rarely come across something interesting there that I don't already know about) and that's about it. I've long accepted that I can't know/have everything and that's fine. It helps that over the years it's become clear what kinds of music I really like, and my range of interest is probably a lot narrower than that of many others on this forum. In fact, I'm going to downsize my collection and get rid of releases I don't absolutely love, because I have too much stuff I basically never listen to.

ANDROPHILIA

this forum

and ( surprise ) a lot from Instagram
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

absoluten calfeutrail

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 13, 2018, 04:37:43 PM
I checked them out, just to find out that there was nothing worth of interest I would not know already. Just endless spamming without good enough reason. Everybody posting youtube links, nobody giving a fuck, seemed to be the daily routine, heh...

Completely consistent with my experience of Facebook groups. There's a local (Australian/NZ) group I'm a member of, and it's almost exclusively occupied with spamming. It seems to me the architecture doesn't encourage discussion in the way forums once did. While the time of forums may seem to have largely passed, Special Interests remains a very useful port of call - even for a lurker like myself. There seems to be less people advocating for the work of others in general, and the 'Playlist' thread here is one location I can reliably find this occurring today. In the past it was often the enthusiasm of someone for the work of an unfamiliar artist that pushed me to investigate. Smaller distributers who actually go to the effort of writing at length about the material they're stocking can be helpful in this regard also.

re:evolution

I guess my impressions are much the same as most here.  FB was useful in the past, but the new algorithms have turned it into an cesspool of pointless spam where useful information simply gets lost/ is missed. From the perspective of what I do with Noise Receptor, I used to get a decent amount of traction with posting new reviews on FB, but virtually to the hour after the new algorithms kicked in, the traffic was down to a couple of likes and comments at most. Not that I am chasing likes or anything like that, it is just telling that stuff this forum is interested in is getting burried in favour of commercially promoted/ paid posts.

So, really this forum is my go to hub for new info etc, and then just the usual labels and associated contacts/ networks I have always dealt with.

I do however get a sense of fracturing of focus within the underground and the emergence of localised micro scenes which dont seem to spread much wider then the few involved in it. Chris Groves talked a bit on this in the editorial of his last Night Science issue.  But even if that is happening, I have been following this stuff for coming up to 25 years now, so whatever is really important out there I will hear about at one point or another - even if there is a year delay or whatever.

However, it is somewhat disconcerting that there seems to be so few younger folk who are interested and active in the post-industrial underground - and I mean those who really 'get it' and have strong ideas of the their own to carry the torch forwards. There are clear exceptions to that, such as the Fieldwork label and associated projects, but it has been silence from those quarters in the last few years.

But I am also glad to hear that Noise Receptor is useful some to find out about new stuff - as that is its role.

noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

THE RITA HN

I still come to this forum primarily to see what everyone relevant is up to.
It's nice as everyone is in front of you and you're not waiting for some random IG post to get a little TASTE of what they're doing at that instant.
Have been discussing this lately, the IG / FB vs. forums and websites / blogsites, etc.
I don't have an IG account or a Facebook account, but have my blogspot / website that's set up so anyone who finds it can find out virtually everything about my projects in one package.
Again, who the fuck wants to look at an IG account when they just get little tidbits every so often of some of a project's actions?
I think the total inundation with fleeting information has killed some things like hundreds of pages of live reviews after some giant festival, etc.  No one really likes to write anymore; most of the 'writers' coincidentally only on forums like this. 
Was hanging out with Peter [Bacillus] and Will [BSBC / Nervous Corps] last night at a show and we were talking about how so many younger people are so fucking buried in fleeting genres that seem to be generated solely by borrowed nostalgia that they don't know what they like anymore.

holy ghost

I rely on this forum, Instagram and suggestions from people I know to keep my informed.

I have to really vet things though as there's just a colossal glut of stuff coming out and international shipping and a shit dollar make it hard to stay relevant with physical medium. I find the updates from Scream & Writhe, Analog Worship, New Forces and Oxen help me stay informed. I have a Facebook but I'm really on it for the messenger.

I would say that it's Instagram that keeps me most in the loop. A Derek Bailey reissue happening? You better believe I saw someone post about on IG first. A new Vomir tape? A new Wiese LP? I'm pretty sure the people I follow are posting about it.

Soloman Tump

You can now follow individual #hashtags on IG which has become very useful for sifting through the crud and getting specific information more easily.  It is a useful and powerful tool, and works well once you follow a decent spread of sources.

Tip for instagram: don't use #drone as you just get a bunch of photographers following you who are disappointed that you do not share many aerial video contages of forests or mountain ranges.

Duncan

This thread made me realise that I probably get more of my recommendations from social media than I thought and I'm not even that big a user of these things. I use Twitter and for all its many downsides you can in some ways just look at it like a load of your friends having short conversations. I tend to find out quite a lot about reissues and so in through chats people are having and retweets. There are quite a few decent labels and artists on there who can be followed if you want to hear about new stuff and given that people you know will probably be seeing this stuff too it's easy to keep up with.  Similar can be said for some uses of Facebook. I use it for messenger and advertising gigs only but have been invited into some private groups that are essentially 'now listening' threads. Whether or not it's beeb new stuff much of the time I've found it a great way to discover things I didn't know already as well as have some good music talk from people I either know or who may be only a couple of degrees seperated from me. I definitely recommend a function like this for pooling info and enthusiasm among trusted folks if you have enough of them on Facebook

HONOR_IS_KING!

This forum forever and ever.  I prefer IG over facebook for promotional use and thats about it. Thinking about a twitter but we'll see.

KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

holy ghost

Oh yeah there are a few twitters I follow, I've found the Observations of Devience, Destination Out and Frozen Reeds twitter accounts are really great, Stephen O'Malley has a lot of great content as well and is a frequent tweeter. John Olsen, the Quietus, Greh Holger, Matt Purse... actually heck I guess I really like twitter   

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Brad on July 15, 2018, 02:27:57 PM
Who would have seen that Phage Tapes would be releasing EBM/dark electro CDs in 2018? I've been really enjoying those, but I don't know if they count towards "keeping up with what's happening" in "this scene."

Sam has always enjoyed stuff like that, makes sense that he'd branch out into that.

Koufar and Terror Cell Unit full length cassettes will be dropping on Phage sometime this year inshallah. Sam still keeps it grimey, still keeps it real.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Zeno Marx

I've been enjoying going to forums to read conversations that aren't really in their wheelhouse.  I say that with no pretension or sarcasm.  For example, black metallers talking about crust.  To hear different perspectives, and sometimes these conversations connect things with other dots and offer new, unheard recommendations.  One of the more interesting things is that you can almost immediately tell who is a real music or sound lover.  Listeners with ravenous appetites are almost always great resources for the new or more obscured gems.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Peterson

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 19, 2018, 07:39:18 PM
I've been enjoying going to forums to read conversations that aren't really in their wheelhouse.  I say that with no pretension or sarcasm.  For example, black metallers talking about crust.  To hear different perspectives, and sometimes these conversations connect things with other dots and offer new, unheard recommendations.  One of the more interesting things is that you can almost immediately tell who is a real music or sound lover.  Listeners with ravenous appetites are almost always great resources for the new or more obscured gems.

Well-said, totally agree. This forum in particular has had some interesting discussions on jazz, prog, and even non-musical subjects like YT videos that have prompted a fresh look from me, even going as far as to revisit and appreciate stuff that didn't shake me the first time around.