Neofolk

Started by XXX, July 01, 2018, 02:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdementia

Video for my cover of The Knife's Forest Families

https://youtu.be/L_qKw3hW-lw

xdementia

Quote from: Eigen Bast on September 09, 2022, 12:23:13 AM

Also, there is a Cult of Youth double LP out later this year.

Also, the Cult of Youth 2xLP is out today!!!

Fables

EAGERWHIP - Death At The Eastern Temple, US Apocalyptic Folk.

https://youtu.be/1YehJjiqPI0

FreakAnimalFinland

Have tried to listen to new Cult Of Youth, but so far can't really get over the hi-fi production.

It ain't really dirty either, but CURRENT 93 "If A City Is Set Upon A Hill" CD was good. While being fan of his oldest work, I have learned to appreciate pretty much everything. Should give it more listening, but not in hurry. Listened, liked, and filed at shelves and will have to return again after some time.

Latest purchase was ABOVE THE RUINS "Songs of the wolf" LP. New LP edition came 2019, on Russian Infinite Fog Productions. Then hit covid, then came war, and seemed unlikely to purchase it. Now was ordering stuff from Drone rec, stuff that haven't had possibility to buy wholesale, and browsed catalogue merely to letter "A" vinyls and had pile of missed items and enough for one purchase...
I did have formerly Above The Ruins on No Surrender compilation LP. Especially among the RAC groups, material is charming somewhat clumsy post-punk. Indeed, most tracks are not exactly neo-folk, but the works of Tony Wakeford between Death In June and Sol Invinctus. Latter one being one of artists I most frequently return to. Bunch of albums been listened this year too. This type of material has the spirit and production I like. Not sounding like production values of contemporary pop music, but oddities, little out of tune, little clumsy etc.. "Make Us Strong" probably highlight of album!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

burdizzo1

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on June 03, 2023, 02:45:56 PM

Latest purchase was ABOVE THE RUINS "Songs of the wolf" LP. New LP edition came 2019, on Russian Infinite Fog Productions. Then hit covid, then came war, and seemed unlikely to purchase it. Now was ordering stuff from Drone rec, stuff that haven't had possibility to buy wholesale, and browsed catalogue merely to letter "A" vinyls and had pile of missed items and enough for one purchase...
I did have formerly Above The Ruins on No Surrender compilation LP. Especially among the RAC groups, material is charming somewhat clumsy post-punk. Indeed, most tracks are not exactly neo-folk, but the works of Tony Wakeford between Death In June and Sol Invinctus. Latter one being one of artists I most frequently return to. Bunch of albums been listened this year too. This type of material has the spirit and production I like. Not sounding like production values of contemporary pop music, but oddities, little out of tune, little clumsy etc.. "Make Us Strong" probably highlight of album!

Ha ha! Was just listening to this tonight - I had the old World Serpent CD issue. For me, the best tracks are "Hundred Flags" and "Progress". I think by now it's pretty much accepted that a former drummer with Skrewdriver played on this, too? Anyway, yes - it's nice, but not perfect. Speaking of the "No Surrender" LP, another non-RAC band on that that stood out was Final Sound with their catchy synth song! But back to "Songs Of The Wolf": the World Serpent CD I have is missing a track from the original, for God knows what reason (it's not as if it's a long album, by any means!), and I thought maybe I'd get the LP to put it right. Well, browsing the Infinite Fog catalogue, I see Wakeford is giving part of the money raised from sales of this to 'some charities', among them Hunt Saboteurs. Fuck that.

Phenol

Progress is also my favourite track by Above The Ruins. Also have that old WS version and have not seen or listened to the reissue.

As for the new C93 album, I like it better than most of his output in the post-2000 era. One thing I particularly enjoyed on the new one is that his voice has become old and brittle. It suits the music and overall atmosphere of nostalgia and forgotten ghost towns. Still, the last album I bought was Black Ships and the last "real" C93 album for me is Sleep Has His House. I have more than 100 C93 releases and used to manically collect them alongside the affiliated bands, but things just run their course and I don't wallow in nostalgia. That whole scene is over and the ones still active are hopelessly past their prime. That said, C93 has aged better than most of their contemporaries for sure.

When it comes to contemporary neo-folk, Solblot still holds up, IMO. So does Russian bands like Majdanek Waltz, Romowe Rikoito and Neutral. When it comes to new acts von Vvaeldten are okay, but maybe a tad too polished, which is a common problem. Unfortunately neo-folk bands today generally sound like they want to make soundtracks to nature documentaries.

impulse manslaughter

Final Sound
Never saw or heard the cassette they released. A reissue of this would be nice!

burdizzo1

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on June 05, 2023, 10:54:56 PM
Final Sound
Never saw or heard the cassette they released. A reissue of this would be nice!

It would be excellent, and I'm sure there's many would be interested in hearing it, myself included! However, something tells me it's as rare as hen's teeth - if it even existed at all.

eraciator

Quote from: burdizzo1 on June 05, 2023, 12:54:05 AMWell, browsing the Infinite Fog catalogue, I see Wakeford is giving part of the money raised from sales of this to 'some charities', among them Hunt Saboteurs. Fuck that.

Well if it helps, it's highly unlikely that any of those charities will see any money from Wakeford.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Phenol on June 05, 2023, 04:37:18 PM
As for the new C93 album, I like it better than most of his output in the post-2000 era. One thing I particularly enjoyed on the new one is that his voice has become old and brittle. It suits the music and overall atmosphere of nostalgia and forgotten ghost towns. Still, the last album I bought was Black Ships and the last "real" C93 album for me is Sleep Has His House. I have more than 100 C93 releases and used to manically collect them alongside the affiliated bands, but things just run their course and I don't wallow in nostalgia. That whole scene is over and the ones still active are hopelessly past their prime. That said, C93 has aged better than most of their contemporaries for sure.

I need to spend more time with "If a City...", but I immediately liked it better than "The Light is Leaving Us All" which didn't have very much staying power at all and felt like the old formula was getting played out. "Black Ships..." is the last real one for me. After Michael Cashmore left everything got a lot less interesting.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Phenol

Quote from: absurdexposition on June 18, 2023, 11:42:18 PM
Quote from: Phenol on June 05, 2023, 04:37:18 PM

I need to spend more time with "If a City...", but I immediately liked it better than "The Light is Leaving Us All" which didn't have very much staying power at all and felt like the old formula was getting played out. "Black Ships..." is the last real one for me. After Michael Cashmore left everything got a lot less interesting.

"The Light..." also felt that way at first and people were saying how C93 were back in shape, but I got bored with it super quickly and din't bother buying it in the end. My initial feeling with the new one is much better, but like you I need to listen to it more. "Black Ships..." is good and I even have that stupid fan version with my name in the booklet, but I feel like it lacks something, that magic the old albums have is absent even though Michael Cashmore and Steven Stapleton are both on it. I would like to see most of these guys just retire and leave their legacies fairly untainted, but I guess you can't ask an artist not to create even if he peaked decades ago. I mean the latest few DIJ albums (well, arguably since Operation Hummingbird, so for more than 2 decades...) have been real stinkers, and live Douglas is just doing his usual lazy routine. Tony has been doing better quality-wise, but at the same time I rarely listen to Sol Invictus post "The Blade". "Fractured Man" by Fire + Ice was good, IMO, but I have yet to listen to anything that came after. My interest in neofolk and related has declined quite a bit since 2005 or so, but I often revisit and enjoy the old stuff.

Boiledinblood

A bit off topic but does anyone have a lead on copies or even pdfs of the battlenoise-martial industrial book? I know it was pulled due to issues when it was released but I imagine someone out there has a copy.

burdizzo1

I saw a copy of this for sale on reddit a year or two ago - for some mad amount of money. E250, or something - or perhaps it was even more.
I was lucky enough to get a copy before it was withdrawn, but sadly, don't really want to sell it.

xdementia

neofolk west coast tour 2023

wilst-de

I have a near mint copy of the Above the Ruins CD (World Serpent) for sale: 15 euro (+ shipping)

"Latest purchase was ABOVE THE RUINS "Songs of the wolf" LP. New LP edition came 2019, on Russian Infinite Fog Productions. Then hit covid, then came war, and seemed unlikely to purchase it. Now was ordering stuff from Drone rec, stuff that haven't had possibility to buy wholesale, and browsed catalogue merely to letter "A" vinyls and had pile of missed items and enough for one purchase...
I did have formerly Above The Ruins on No Surrender compilation LP. Especially among the RAC groups, material is charming somewhat clumsy post-punk. Indeed, most tracks are not exactly neo-folk, but the works of Tony Wakeford between Death In June and Sol Invinctus. Latter one being one of artists I most frequently return to. Bunch of albums been listened this year too. This type of material has the spirit and production I like. Not sounding like production values of contemporary pop music, but oddities, little out of tune, little clumsy etc.. "Make Us Strong" probably highlight of album!"

[/quote]