Special Interest
April 02, 2020, 06:04:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: recommended art books  (Read 54838 times)
SILVUM
user

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 06:32:33 PM »

Keizo Kitajima's Photo Express Tokyo is pretty awesome.  It's a cardboard slipcase set of facsimile printings of the 12 mini photo zines he did.  Super high contrast, close ups, confusing images, really cool, especially if you are obsessed with 70's 80's Japan nightlife / "counter"-culture.  Maybe it's not the all time greatest reproduction job, but judging the savagery of the material, I'm sure this is as good as it gets without spending thousands on the originals if you can even find them. 

Here're some examples, snaps I took with my phone to give a sense of what the work is like.

I grabbed Gregory Crewdson's Sanctuary for like 4 dollars on Amazon recently, it has one awful review.  I guess my eyes are shit, the plates don't look that bad to me, the work is VERY flat, heavy on greys, and incredibly boring, but it's pretty cool for what it is, Crewdson was getting so quaint and Hollywood, that I like that he took this weird breather project.  It's all photos of vacant movie studio lots in Italy (Edit: well, technically it's one lot, but different spots around the same lot, though it all looks the same, kinda like a looping dream where it's the same shit enough that when a change occurs it's quite startling).  It's not Becher work, but it's good for what it's setting out to do, present weird detached locations.  Not really recommended unless you're into empty spaces or really into Crewdson.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:34:30 PM by SILVUM » Logged

silvum.bandcamp.com/
silvum.tumblr.com/
instagram.com/the_silvum
nick-henry.bandcamp.com/
Black_Angkar
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »

I just visited germany for a small art tour. Besides experiencing the joys and wonders of superior german playback schlager I also managed to move further to my goal of owning a if not complete so at least all-encompassing library section on the Vienna actionists. Already having one fat volume dealing with all four of them, I was quite happy to get my hands at two books dealing with separate artists, and at beneficial prices as well.

First was Otto Muehl on MAK, just under 400 pages (large format) which I got for the rteduced price of 20 euros. A lot of this I already know or own in other formats, but I thought it was too much of an bargain to miss. There are of course his wonderfully looking actionist documentations, also a lot of his works as a painter and graphic artist. facsimiles of his commune publications, and as well some representations of his later COMPLETELY ATROCIOUS "electric paintings" and film stills, which I do find a little interesting though due to the dirty old man factor still surrounding him. Though the art itself is absolut shit. The book is in german which means I can't really read the texts regarding the commune and actionist eras which would've been interesting. I'm thinking of picking up german nhow as I own a fair share of publicationbs in that language which I really want to get into. The one english part I found is an elogy from 2003 by feminist performancxe/conceptual artist Carollee Schneemann celebrating Muehl for the masculine virility of his art.

Second, and best, is a book titled BRUSEUM which is a monster book dealing with Günter Brus, whom is my favorite of the actionists. Around 650 pages hardcover large format, for only 48 euros. It contains some text, interviews etc of which only one is in english (an article dealing with the political aspect of art and actionism through the use of psychoanalysis, which was very popular at the time). It contains lots and lots of pictures in b/w and color ranging from the actions to facsimiles, graphic works, Irrwish material (often different sketch versions than the ones in Irrwish itself), drawings etc etc. The size of this volume makes it a real carreer-spanning compilation. Absolutely fantastic.
online prowler
Diehard user

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 03:36:44 PM »

Keizo Kitajima's Photo Express Tokyo

Thanx for the share. Will def check this out. Can dig the visuals and æsthetic. 
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

Has anyone read or seen "The Art of the Nasty"? It's supposed to be THE complete collection of video nasty art/sleeves.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Nasty-Nigel-Wingrove/dp/1903254574

cr
Diehard user

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »

Got this one last week:

Antoine D'Agata Antibodies
Hardcover, approx. 560 pages, 20.4x26.6, 8.0 x 10.5 Inches, 2,500 colour illustrations

This monumental collection of d’Agata’s controversial work is a cult classic and companion to one of the most talked-about photography exhibitions of the past decade, available now for the first time in English.

Containing striking images of people living on the fringes of society, Antibodies is a challenging and captivating collection from one of the most renowned photographers working today. Antoine d’Agata has traveled the world’s darkest corners collecting images of prostitutes, addicts, war-torn communities, and the homeless. A nomad himself, d’Agata tackles subjects often left untouched, unnoticed, or ignored. Frequently compared to his mentors Nan Goldin and Larry Clark, d’Agata’s work, for all its grim and occasionally terrifying realism, bears the hallmarks of timeless photographs. This volume features images from a number of d’Agata’s series, interspersed with short texts as well as essays and commentary. Antibodies was awarded the 2013 Arles Book Prize, and is certain to become one of the most sought-after photography books of the year.
ANDROPHILIA
Heavy user

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 09:53:33 PM »

Got this one last week:

Antoine D'Agata Antibodies
Hardcover, approx. 560 pages, 20.4x26.6, 8.0 x 10.5 Inches, 2,500 colour illustrations

This monumental collection of d’Agata’s controversial work is a cult classic and companion to one of the most talked-about photography exhibitions of the past decade, available now for the first time in English.

Containing striking images of people living on the fringes of society, Antibodies is a challenging and captivating collection from one of the most renowned photographers working today. Antoine d’Agata has traveled the world’s darkest corners collecting images of prostitutes, addicts, war-torn communities, and the homeless. A nomad himself, d’Agata tackles subjects often left untouched, unnoticed, or ignored. Frequently compared to his mentors Nan Goldin and Larry Clark, d’Agata’s work, for all its grim and occasionally terrifying realism, bears the hallmarks of timeless photographs. This volume features images from a number of d’Agata’s series, interspersed with short texts as well as essays and commentary. Antibodies was awarded the 2013 Arles Book Prize, and is certain to become one of the most sought-after photography books of the year.

even about Antoine D'agata

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL
-PLUTON DOLMEN

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)
ANDROPHILIA
Heavy user

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »

HAUNTED AIR - Ossian Brown

a collection of anonymous USA Halloween photographs from 1875 to 1955

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL
-PLUTON DOLMEN

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)
icepick method
moderate user

Show me your spine

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 06:21:15 AM »

Finally found a copy of Niraworks for under $120 and not shipped from japan. I paid less for one of his actual handcast/painted pieces than this damn book.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.261849557277409.61019.223400181122347&type=3 (not my pics)

Industrial-noise zine archive http://shock-corridor.blogspot.com
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

got a copy of Tabula Obscura by M Tinnemans, S Hynninen, and T Ketola in the mail yesterday. Beautiful work. Manuel Tinnemans work especially captures my imagination. It's like some bastard child of HR Giger and Hieronymus Bosch. All of the artists do really detailed work though, so there's a lot to examine and scrutinize.

http://www.tabulaobscura.com/

ANDROPHILIA
Heavy user

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 11:24:55 PM »

need advices
photobooks about VOODOO?
thanks

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL
-PLUTON DOLMEN

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)
ANDROPHILIA
Heavy user

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 02:56:27 AM »

great

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL
-PLUTON DOLMEN

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)
borderland
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 01:57:23 PM »

also....

http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=19520
ANDROPHILIA
Heavy user

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 02:06:49 AM »

thank you man
this can be more interesting than Taschen book.

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL
-PLUTON DOLMEN

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)
Brad
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »

Human Anatomy: A Visual History from the Renaissance to the Digital Age, by B. Rifkin, M. Ackerman, and J. Folkenberg (2006). Great collection of historical scientific illustrations depicting human dissections, pathologies, etc. The picture from the cover of the Contagious Orgasm album Division and Combination is in this book.
ANDROPHILIA
Heavy user

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 12:34:20 AM »

some suggestion about photo-book related in SKINHEAD world?
thanks

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL
-PLUTON DOLMEN

and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: