Favourite Prurient release?

Started by Deadpriest, May 21, 2018, 11:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frataxin

Colonialist Nature and Misanthropy

Duncan

This thread reminds me that I'm insanely overdue a Prurient revisit.

History of AIDS
Cocaine Death
Arrowhead

probably more but I don't remember right now.

The great thing about this project was that things could really take a different turn from release to release.  I mean, sure, these albums are probably the nearest you can get to 'objective' faves in that they had higher runs, longer running lengths and thus seem more like proper albums and therefore stronger statements but conceptually and aesthetically some of smaller tapes and 7"s are so important and amazing as part of the project.  I love Whip Enthusiasts from the Bloodlust! series, for example, because it really encompasses that mucky, emotional synth style which - though present on Cocaine Death - works so completely differently in the form of a short, abstract blast on 7"

Prurient is still such an interesting case because you have such an enormous and varied though artistically consistent back catalogue right up until the point we started getting all that garbage EBM which basically (and only IMHO) completely destroyed the project.  You often get told that you're a narrow minded, noise conservative and don't like it just because it has beats, or that you miss the point of how varied Prurient has always been when criticising the later output.....but I will never buy into the idea that all the more recent stuff was anything more than a shittily executed tragedy of poor judgement. YET EVEN SO Prurient before all that shit still remains such a vital and exemplary instance of a true noise artist that still bares many years of listening and exploration.

impulse manslaughter

PedestrianOrgans

I'm glad nobody's mentioned Dracula Syndrome yet so now I seem cool

But for real, nobody talks about this release and it's some of Dom's best stuff imo

ricjaff

not my favorite overall (which would be pleasure ground), but i'm surprised no one seems to dig "through the window" very much for his EBM-style

PTM Jim

In order:
White Plains Leather : Black River Falls
Great tape cut-up and vocals. Will always be hard to top for me. One of the weirdest packages in his discography on the special edition as well.

The Golden Chamber
Heavy ambient industrial at its finest. Romantic period orchestral music I feel has always been present in his work and this tape makes it obvious with the small passage sampling of Dvorak's New World Symphony looped throughout "... Dying From The Wound." Love the booklet that comes with as well

Colonialist Nature And Misanthropy
Heaviest of all releases. Listening loud as possible on a huge PA is recommended. The bass pulsation is crushing.
Art and packaging is fantastic.

Lily Of The Valley / Return Of Happiness
Restrained, distant power electronics. "I Have A Message For You" is one of my all time favorite single tracks in his discography. Great package and cover art.

Worm In The Apple
Best of all the 7"s. Primitive perfection.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the artwork on anything yet. It is half the battle with Prurient after all.

Soloman Tump

I have never heard "The History of AIDS" until just now (thanks Youtube), and I have instantly connected to the sound palette.  Think I need this one.

ekastaka

The ones I spend the most time with are Oxidation, Annihilationist, and Palm Tree Corpse. I like Cocaine Death just as much as those, but I suppose its not a "proper" album.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: Duncan on May 22, 2018, 09:37:58 PM
all that garbage EBM which basically (and only IMHO) completely destroyed the project

I feel that I might also have this point of view if it wasn't for the fact that Greenpoint from Frozen Niagara Falls was the first Prurient track I heard.  As a young gun I came late to PE with Prurient being one of the gateway artists for me so this style of track with harsh elements intertwined with melody and rhythm shaped how I look at the genre (and is probably why I love the detailed/composed sound of newer Grunt stuff, Puce Mary, Con-Dom's 8th Pillar, etc). That said, it certainly wasn't long for me before discovering Arrowhead and falling in love with the absolute sonic violence of his purely feedback-based work.

I can see why an artist so relevant and diverse within the realm of harsh noise/PE would seem to have lost their touch when branching out into essentially synthpop in the eyes of a longtime follower.

impulse manslaughter

Just played the collaboration with Sutcliffe Jugend. Obviously not the best material of both artists but still a nice mixture of their styles.

Duncan

Quote from: NaturalOrthodoxy on May 24, 2018, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: Duncan on May 22, 2018, 09:37:58 PM
all that garbage EBM which basically (and only IMHO) completely destroyed the project

I feel that I might also have this point of view if it wasn't for the fact that Greenpoint from Frozen Niagara Falls was the first Prurient track I heard.  As a young gun I came late to PE with Prurient being one of the gateway artists for me so this style of track with harsh elements intertwined with melody and rhythm shaped how I look at the genre (and is probably why I love the detailed/composed sound of newer Grunt stuff, Puce Mary, Con-Dom's 8th Pillar, etc). That said, it certainly wasn't long for me before discovering Arrowhead and falling in love with the absolute sonic violence of his purely feedback-based work.

I can see why an artist so relevant and diverse within the realm of harsh noise/PE would seem to have lost their touch when branching out into essentially synthpop in the eyes of a longtime follower.

Well everyone has their starting points, it's fair enough. Has got me thinking about whether or not I'd feel the way I do was I not into a different style of Prurient beforehand.  The honest truth is that I possibly wouldn't so I admit to having a biased, loaded take on things but even so I remember my main issue with Bermuda Drain being with how poorly executed it all seemed more than the stylistic change.  You know when you hear something an artist does and you can tell how much of a product it is of wanting to do certain musical things rather than how necessary it might be to do so? It seemed like for the first time ever that this enigmatic and complicated project had a really telling, naive thought process hanging over it which is why I say it got ruined for me.  Of course I don't mind what anyone likes or dislikes in his catalogue mind you, it's all about ones own take on it.

andy vomit

Quote from: PTM Jim on May 23, 2018, 07:42:33 AM
Worm In The Apple
Best of all the 7"s. Primitive perfection.

100% agreed.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

impulse manslaughter

I think i have all the Prurient 7"s. From what i remember i like them all except Crossbow on Dotdotdot. Women Pissing w/ The Rita is my favorite collab.

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

PTM Jim

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on May 25, 2018, 12:17:04 AM
Women Pissing w/ The Rita is my favorite collab.
Proud to have that one on Fusty. That is my 2nd favorite 7" after Worm In The Apple.