Labels unable to make the release

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 13, 2018, 09:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

From Bastard Noise topic:
QuoteHow about getting that Eric Lunde tape box done that C.Process hoarded to bending releases like 10 years ago, instead focusing on re-tweeting president like everybody else....? pfff...

I guess this is something that could be suitable even for topic itself. I mean, not CP or Ben, but situation where labels for various reasons do not get stuff done they promised. Myself, as Freak Animal, is certainly not totally innocent in this matter, hah... I have had bending masters from artists for years. I mean literally yearS. Currently sitting on 3 different masters of SQUAMATA, which date from 10 years ago. Why? Well, it just happened.

Thing is often in my case, that some particular release never happened in a way it should. Like in case of Squamata. Loooooong long time, in ancient past, there was agreed things such as V/A "Finland vs. Sweden" noise compilation. V/A "Finlandia" box set (RRR's state vinyl set series), V/A "metal junk"......   None of these matter anymore. Times have changed. Squamata, in peak of their creation, submitted each release 20 minutes. And who else did? Pretty much nobody. There has been talk over the years to get these published in other form.

What I remember, there is 30 minutes unpublished Squamata album recorded for Japanese label. Band felt it was just perfect, and label said it is "too short". I recall there was also tape for american label that didn't come out? Band exists no more, and probably their best material is hoarded by yours truly, and other labels. With Freak Animal it has been compilation or such complex project what didn't happen, and few contributions are bending without place to use. (If someone who reads this and feels there was agreement with FA and even something submitted, get in touch and lets sort it out. Get it done or officially just cancel the plan)

Knowing Finnish guys, I tend to hear stories from them. Umpio pretty much similar case. I could have told him NOT to accept the offers from labels that he did. They're all known to be lazy fuckups. As result, band has three of his very best releases, either sort or released, but never available. Or just flat out unreleased. I know there is probably "who cares it's just noise" -type of people there, but lets say: fuck off then. Stop wasting time. It is probably one of key reasons why some really promising artists gradually lose interest. No matter how much effort and enthusiasm they inject into their art, it can all be wasted and when momentum is gone, than it's gone.

One could ask things like where is the Haare multiple CD box set? It seems like common route of things, that Finnish band is sort of "popularized" by one of the Finnish labels. Next thing used to be offers from multiple labels who all fuck it up in way or another.

So, basically, what I keep telling the artists, if it doesn't seem to work out, why not send message to label - or if unreachable - then just announce change of plans. At what point someone label has the courtesy of saying excuse me, but for whatever reason, this doesn't get done by me. Can you try to find another publisher? Instead of waiting to whole awkward thing to be forgotten.

Someone may argue that there is enough releases as is. Why miss few things not happening. I tend to think, that there are really A LOT of really good stuff that isn't happening. It seems quite annoying to think, that there would be potentially KILLER releases, and significant releases, but they are not happening because someone doesn't have what it takes to neither do it or let it go. No excuses, just decision and action either way would be often greatly appreciated.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

GEWALTMONOPOL

I was one of the labels involved in the never released HAARE box together with AWWFN and not sure who else now. Was Freak Animal involved as well? Was it ten years ago? Something like that. I was way over my head and for as much as HAARE deserves that box I know it would have set Unrest back financially to the point where what has been achieved since might not have happened at all. The lesson is to know your limits and to stay within them.

As for labels who can't even get a single simple tape out...pffff. But then there are people who make all kind of pledges they have no intent on keeping. It's part of life. Be vigilant, be selective and strike fast if you're being taken for a ride!

If it was my work sitting in the hands of some slacker cunt I'd just take it elsewhere. There are plenty of labels who know how to shit when on the pot.

On that note, one project I'll forever mourn not releasing is KOMMANDO RJF. I was offered but unable to act fast enough due to lack of funds so KRJF being a good example of the paragraph above took it to Posh Isolation who did a fine job.

Maybe one day I'll get the KORRUPTE EINHET recordings out there. Should have happened about 8 years ago!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on February 13, 2018, 02:10:49 PM
I was one of the labels involved in the never released HAARE box together with AWWFN and not sure who else now. Was Freak Animal involved as well? Was it ten years ago? Something like that.

Yep. At the time, it felt like 3 labels is way too many as it's not such an massive project after all, so I dropped out.

Theoretically, one guy communicating with artists and getting all fixed would be matter of couple days, probably. It would be merely if label has necessary funds at hand. CD box could be done for less than many single LP releases, though. This box would also include the loooong sold out debut CD that was on FA.

GEWALTMONOPOL

With the risk of not adhering to good etiquette by discussing business in the open, if you want to make it happen you have my full blessing. I've contemplated an LP reissue but if you mean to do the CD box then please include Lysergic Trepanation. With the artists permission of course. I'll gladly supply what bits I have if you need anything.

Duncan

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 13, 2018, 09:19:43 AM
It is probably one of key reasons why some really promising artists gradually lose interest. No matter how much effort and enthusiasm they inject into their art, it can all be wasted and when momentum is gone, than it's gone.

This is an important aspect of the discussion.  Though the scene has its stalwarts and hot young bucks with staying power, year on year Noise probably burns through dozens of artists, labels and other ventures that don't.  Undoubtedly, flaky labels will have caused promising artists to stop but its also worth looking at the inverse to see what happens here.  I think many of these promising guys realise that getting a tape here or CDR there on some relatively well known online micro label becomes a very diminishing return after a while and to really develop themselves and get anymore out of this pursuit would require years of commitment in terms of their own practice and probably some greater financial input too.  I think this aspect weeds out a lot of newer guys as much as shitty labels.  Just as someone making the decision to make a label should be able to pull their trousers up and make some basic shit happen, so too should an artist be able to exist and issue their work without someone else there to dub a tape or burn a disc for them.

And I speak from a lot of experience here because I used to run one of these pointless little micro labels.  A lot of people wound up without releases I committed to and I still, of course, feel bad about it in spite of this having all got wrapped up around 10 years ago...but it did give me a really interesting insight into the exact kind of short, sharp bursts of enthusiasm people can have for what is a fundamentally flawed and useless culture of low level, low impact creativity.  In my case it wasn't long until life and a general waning of interest and the wish to spend money on releasing crappy CDRs of other people's music caused me to kill the label off and I don't really think much of value was lost in the process looking back on it, beyond that I might have ended things with a bit more dignity and clarity than to simply fade away and flake out. Nonetheless, I wonder what it was all these guys - none of whom are around any more btw - thought they were actually getting from having me essentially just burn them 40 discs of an album they'd made that week and post an ad for it on Troniks, which was the extent of what I could really do at that stage having hardly any money, influence or 'customers'.  When we're talking about very homespun, DIY stuff then maybe a lot of these projects in labels and artists disappear because they ultimately have nothing to offer in the long term.  Of course, I understand my label may have become much more than all of this had I persisted with time and effort, but it seemed less important than developing my own music.

I've also been stung by the same situations as an artist continually so I understand this side of it too.  It's disappointing but when a person says they can't put out your music now because they're just not really into running their label anymore what can you do but behave like an adult and move on?  I take music very seriously but requirements elsewhere in life will always win out.  The answer, I say, is a greater tendency toward self sufficiency and I still don't think we see enough of this despite the huge DIY nature of something like Noise; far too many people buy into this idea that on every level there still needs to be a 'label' doing the releasing even when it's just a short run of cassettes...

HONOR_IS_KING!

I am guilty of not following through as well as my own releases never coming to light because the label had backed out on me.

All for the best I'd imagine. MashAllah.

KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Urban Noise

And the other side of coin, labels that wait endlessly for stuff from artists that never comes.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

PTM Jim

Quote from: Urban Noise on February 15, 2018, 03:48:14 PM
And the other side of coin, labels that wait endlessly for stuff from artists that never comes.
I was gonna mention that. I'm guilty of that, but I'd rather give quality than just throwaway material just for the sake of getting it out. Sometimes you get ambitious and hit a rut. It happens. This only goes for having a label ask for material, I've never solicited unfinished material. Doesn't make sense to do that.

As for the main topic:
I think things like putting together boxsets or some other massive product is forgivable to a point and if it taking excessive time, simply ask another label for help or something. However, accepting a tape, CD or even single LP should be done in a timely manner, no excuse. LPs are costly, but everyone knows that. If you can't financially do it, don't make the artist wait and wait and wait.

absurdexposition

A bit of a pain especially when titles are ideally released in batches. Though I haven't had any bad experiences regarding this as everyone has been good with communication (even over the course of 5+ years of trying to get material in some cases), another release/artist always comes along to fill the gap, and other than waiting on some material at the moment everything has eventually come out. Don't make any announcements until the release is in production (or in hand) and it really becomes a non-issue, other than a bit of an inconvenience and/or delay in personal timeline.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

GEWALTMONOPOL

As someone who is not particularly prolific I've certainly made a few labels wait. Even more so in recent years as Unrest keeps getting busier.

FreakAnimalFinland

One thing what just came to my mind while listening new Jeph Jerman LP on white centipede noise, that I actually have full length master of Entities, which was jerman + brucato collaboration. Original releases didn't happen due various reasons many years ago. No contact with artists for ages, but one of examples how release may just sort of get buried due as "simple" reasons as relatively shitty artwork - issue which doesn't get solved. Not bad audio at all, but in comparison to new J.Jerman LP, perhaps not vinyl album worthy.

Euro Trash Bazooka

From my humble experience, participations to compilations as an artist are the freaking worst. All the ones music I made appeared on took from 2 to 5+ years to come out. When they did come out. It's so annoying. 
I mean, I know there always are many people involved and the label/s have to bear with everyone's ability to respect deadlines, but it just annoys me. Much respect to anyone who decides to put out a comp...
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

FallOfNature

Compilations are something I've had a particular amount of experience with lately.

As a label - 4 out of 5 artists are great. Things were achieved efficiently, tracks submitted were great, attitudes fine. A couple guys promised things - then dissappeared. Some resurfaced later, others couldn't even be fucking bothered to let me know they couldn't submit anything - preferring to ignore me completely when I politely asked what the status was. That alone kept things from developing at the rate I'd anticipated and a compilation I started in 2013 wasn't released until 2017. As expected - that pushed the patience of a few people involved and one or two were not that impressed with my rate of productivity. In the end everything turned out better than expected however. Everyone who made the effort is happy, myself included.

Seems now those bullshit individuals I speak of have moved on, sold their collections and given the finger to the noise/industrial scene anyway, so fuck them in every aspect. Fly by night cunts.

Andrew McIntosh

There's a lot to be said for the good old DIY tradition of the home taping scene of the '80's and '90's.
Shikata ga nai.

Urban Noise

Quote from: PTM Jim on February 15, 2018, 08:37:36 PM
I was gonna mention that. I'm guilty of that, but I'd rather give quality than just throwaway material just for the sake of getting it out. Sometimes you get ambitious and hit a rut. It happens. This only goes for having a label ask for material, I've never solicited unfinished material. Doesn't make sense to do that.

Quality over quantity, always!
I'm slow so, can't ask for fast submissions.

It happened to me, that's why I wanted to "show" the other side. I had or have, not sure anymore, two releases planned, and the artists just never sent the material. One of them, already had it recorded and finished, digitaly released, audio files sent to me and basically never sent me visual material for the artwork whatsoever. Another one, just disapeared from the face of the earth.
Both Portuguese guys... funny, now that I think about it.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com