Death Industrial Today

Started by Andrew McIntosh, February 12, 2018, 07:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Patiently trawled through the pages of this forum and unless I've missed something it seems the closest there is to a dedicated thread was this -

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=7714.0

- which I don't think amounts to much, but anyway.

Got the "Certified Dead" compilation from Death Continues about a week ago. An enjoyable selection of spirals. Interesting mixture of well known and less well known projects. For mine, the good pieces were by Brighter Death Now (interesting production sound, a lot more clean and digital than one would expect perhaps but actually no less better for it), Wertham (nice, satisfying sounds), Necrommando (dark synth sounds), Femeheim (sounding a lot like GO but no problem) and ...Today, I'm Dead (dark feedback-ish sounds with interesting moaning, non-lyrical [I think] vocals).

I'd be interested to learn what other projects are around at the moment that would specifically call themselves Death Industrial. When I think of a definition, I tend to favour the more traditional minimal type of sound like AM, BDN, N. and so forth. But I don't want to exclude what seems to me to be the more recent development towards more use of modern synth sounds, for example She Spread Sorrow and ANTIchildLEAGUE. SSS's "Mine" is a great release of well constructed and recorded spirals using acoustic as well as synth sounds, with audible vocals with what seem like rather personal and poetic lyrics. ACL may not necessarily regard herself as Death Industrial but I think a lot of her work that I've heard would definitely pass. "The Father" is a great album.

So who else is there recording today?
Shikata ga nai.

Leatherface

I think that "Death Industrial" was created by Brighter Death Now, and follow by other swedish projects in the begining of the Cold Meat Industry era.
After this Corbelli (early Atrax Morgue and Mörder Machine) and Slaughter Productions put out some other interesting releases in the genre.

I considere that "Death Industrial" is dead. I see many time this appellation erroneous in reviews or promo texts of some bands but never find this atmosphere anymore.

If you like this kind of atmosphere, try next:

...Today, I'm Dead
Aghast
Archon Satani (first releases)
Atrax Morgue (some of theses)
Babyflesh
Brighter Death Now
Ex.Order
Lille Roger
Maison Close
Megaptera
Mörder Machine
Mortuor
Necromondo
Nekrofellatio

ANDROPHILIA

steel hook prostheses  are active?

-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Deadpriest

My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Leatherface

Pure example of projects that have Nothing to do in the "Death Industrial" category (in my opinion).

Listen to BDN's Great Death, feel the atmosphere.
All theses projects with a guy who scream like a pig being slaughtered is out of scope (in my opinion, once again).

Maybe that i'm too old to understand this mutation of the genre.

collapsedhole

really, isn't the recent "flugornas herrar" c88 by alfarmania & proiekt hat death industrial? was a big fan of the genre in the late 90's but don't listen much anymore as the newer projects just don't fit with my sense of nostalgia for the time. however upon reading this thread this release instantly came to mind. definitely captures that atmosphere for me. whatever you would call it, its downright fucking incredible album.

andy vomit

thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

murderous_vision

Maybe that i'm too old to understand this mutation of the genre.
[/quote]

Apparently so...

Zeno Marx

I believe the last thing I heard that made me think of death industrial was Vestigial - Aeon 2007, and using the term there is arguable.  Great project.  Too bad it didn't have more wind.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ANDROPHILIA

well death industrial can still be considered a style combining elements of PE and Dark Ambient?

i think this when a i think about the concept of death industrial
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

FallOfNature

I always associated the term with feeling/atmosphere rather than elements used. First few BDN, a sizeable portion of Corbelli's output, Schloss Tegal and Megaptera sit firmly as the top tier for myself personally.

I would certainly consider Steel Hook Prostheses, particularly earlier material (mid-late 2000s) to be well fitted under this title.

As for active artists not mentioned - Subklinik and Trauma.

FallOfNature

XX Committee "Slaughterhouse" is worth listening aswell, pre-dated everything else mentioned.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: FallOfNature on February 13, 2018, 02:01:24 AM
...pre-dated everything else mentioned.

Interesting thing about a lot of early Industrial was how disturbing a lot of it sounded. That was always what struck me the most when I first started listening to this genre.
Shikata ga nai.

Kayandah

Certainly the term is used out of original context, but I wouldn't say it is dead. That's like saying power electronics ended with whitehouse.

For me death industrial needs to evoke an atmosphere, the last album by Gnawed certainly achieved that. Some of SHP does as well but their output crosses so called genres anyway

vomitgore

Quote from: Brad on February 13, 2018, 03:59:29 AM
I've seen the term "Death Industrial" very widely applied to newer artists.  Trepaneringsritualen, Pharmakon, whoever. Perhaps some people are using it as a catchall for dark, atmospheric industrial projects that are not dance-oriented, and not pure noise. 

I would say that and  (maybe most of all) repetitive rythms, loops and things many people would simply call "structure". Seems like most material that is structured, doesnt have too many "wild" elements like feedback or harsh pedal madness and sounds a bit "dark" is immediately labelled "Death Industrial"...? Especially with the already mentioned artists from the Malignant roster this can be seen easily. It ' s probably too clean to fall under the PE category, so Death Industrial would be the obvious choice. However, as Leatherface already addressed, "real" old Death Industrial also sounds quite different. My guess would be that some defining aspects of old school Death Industrial are results of gear and recording technique of the old days  (as FreakAnimal already remarked). Rusty metal, delay abuse, analog synth captured on tape etc. Also, maybe some newer artists couldnt get away with the bleak minimalism of Atrax Morgue, for example?