LE SYNDICAT (Faction Vivante)

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 11, 2018, 04:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I was surprised lack of topic for Le Syndicat on the forum!
Mighty old releases captured my attention long ago. Got varied quality level dubs of tapes. At the time, "master & covers" or simply copying covers and dubbing tapes from 2nd generation copy was not unusual. Pure/RRR's CD's of Le Syndicat would look cheap and uniform to the series, but sound of this project is far from cheap.

There will be LE SYNDICAT FACTION VIVANTE interview in Special Interests #10. Lay-out still being finalized, but looks like it is really coming within some weeks! In that interview one can sink deeper into what is the LSFV. I got their recent CD published by AUSSAAT label:

LE SYNDICAT FACTION VIVANTE "Morceaux de choix" CD
Aussaat 03
This CD contains 10 pieces, from short c. 2,5 minute fragments to long 10 minute pieces. Recorded as live sessions by Ruelgo (aka Jean-Marie Onni) & Saphi's home studio. Ruelgo the original Le Syndicat man and Saphi member in later days, better known for his own work as Nocturne. If 80's LS was characterized with experimentation with rather rough sonic material and recording technology, in 2018 is certainly different from 30 years before.
It is a bit more playful. Less dark, less "industrial", but at the same time there is something what directly connects with with Le Syndicat. It took me couple listening times to get used to clean and hi-fi sound. Playfulness of constant modulation of sounds, extensive pitch and speed altering making one think DJ CD turntables or kaoz-pad methods. Also quite often used methods with SP- series samplers. I hoped more dirt and rumbling distortion, yet the more I listened, more I appreciate that it doesn't take very easy route. Instead of dirty industrial for satisfactory of those looking for remakes of old, LSFV goes for new. It is something they clearly aim for. Not replication of past, but new ways of creation. Textures are complex and always changing. Absolute mandatory element of the album is that it really is "excerpts from live sessions". Not whole session. No the moments of losing the red line, but cutting song-length moments what were good. This makes it sound like album. Not merely jam that aimlessly floats from thing to another.
It manages to capture the feeling of noise duo making and reacting to the sound. Dynamic is different when someone loses totally spontaneous creativity of live noise and sinks into on-screen-editing. This project is different than Le Syndicat on Rotorelief label almost 10 years ago. Even more different from what it was in 90's and 80's. My appreciation is that it managed to get rid of many of those drum-beat things known from albums like "Festin D'Acier".  Progress is clearly 100% to better direction. What it has in common, may be the somewhat clean overall sound, but "Morceaux de choix" includes even quite noisy moments.
I didn't see samples available, but I'd say CD is worth to grab without tasters. Allow yourself to accept Le Syndicat Faction Vivante is not the 80's Le Syndicat, but entirely new project what has other mission and appears to succeed in their aims 100%.

that said, topic may be used for comments of all Le Syndicat related releases. Recommendations, comments, etc
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

I've always liked their early tapes with skin disease imagery, 'futuristic' logo, & rough as hell noise. I have a handful of original tapes plus the RRR 3-LP box set along with the "30 Years of Excess" 6-tape set from Influencing Machine Records.

Andrew McIntosh

"Propagation" impressed the hell out of me when I first heard it. An ample example of how it's possible to do computer generated digital Noise right. Varied, imaginative and hard.
Shikata ga nai.

Theodore

-Old- Le Syndicat is gold ! 30 Years Of Excess is essential -it collects 6 of their early tapes- and i would advice anyone interested to buy it. Along with 3xLP on RRR or 10 Years Of Excess 2xCD [They have the same releases reissued] and Relikat & Schraguemusik CD on Pure, you have pretty much everything you need or at least a huge dose of Le Syndicat's greatness.

I don't know about "modern age" Le Syndicat. Haven't listened any properly, so can't comment. But from samples here and there i am not much convinced. Here is Le Syndicat's Vimeo page BTW : https://vimeo.com/lesyndicat

On another note relative to the label : Anyone has listened or has info about this ? https://www.discogs.com/Situation-ML-Situation-ML/release/256370 . Can't find a rip / sample anywhere. Seems like an one-off project's live recording. Probably them with friends [?] . There was a copy on sale for 20 at Discogs till yesterday. Had it in my cart for a few days, was hesitating, and the bird flew away. What i missed ?
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

Urban Noise

Still a project to discover, but the Split LP with Sektor 304 is fucking amazing.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com

breidahl

I saw them play last summer. A great concert!

impulse manslaughter

I saw them twice over the last few years. Both were pretty lame shows.. Still nice to see these old masters at work. Love everything up to Sardanapale CD from 91.

bitewerksMTB

Took a look at a live video. Pretty bad. I remember having a LP with blue sleeve that, I think, had beats so never gave it much of a chance.

Was Entre Vifs the same members as L.S.? I had the Cthulhu Records tape, which, was reissued by Influencing Machine? Pretty sure I have the cd.

Andrew McIntosh

Definitely shared members between each group.
Shikata ga nai.

Decrepitude

I just got the Mars tape re-release from Aussaat a couple of weeks ago and I'm really liking it. Hard, but still very creative. Will need to investigate further.

Noisemare_Soinc_Noise

I couldn't comment on that album, except that after hearing some tracks from there split collaboration with Sektor 304 ‎
my mind was blown away to the point that I have already order a copy of Geometry Of Chromonium Skin cd and I will be getting it in the mail soon.

FreakAnimalFinland

Le Syndicat Faction Vivante "Interaction Sociale" LP
Aussaat
This is probably even better than "Morceaux de choix". Maybe it is the small saturation and analogue touch of LP format what gives material good finishing touch. Also, both sides are live shows. One is live in Brellfest (france) and other is HY! Festival (denmark). Sound quality is similar to studio works. Home made noise generators, microphone, digital interfaces and microphone. Cover says "edited and mixed by Ruelgo", so I'm not entirely sure if this was pure as-it-was live show or rather edited live shows. Whatever it is, succeeds. Extremely rich textures of all sorts of noisy electronic sounds, magled and processed. Some of the kaoz-pad esque sweeps, what I do not dislike when source material is somewhat inspiring.

As I have said before, one can't expect the raw and dark wibes of 80's Le Syndicat from this project, but Le Syndicat Faction Vivante created totally different kind of colorful and free flowing improvised sound collages that I genuinely like. So even if you usually hesitate "digital interfaces" or "warm electronic sound improvisations", I'd recommend to check out.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

wilst-de

Thanks for the fine review!
Greetings
Will I (Aussaat)

breidahl

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on January 12, 2018, 11:15:12 PM
I saw them twice over the last few years. Both were pretty lame shows.. Still nice to see these old masters at work. Love everything up to Sardanapale CD from 91.
Did you listen to them since '91?

A-Z

I saw them play last summer. They played some sort of derpy IDM/Breakcore.
I fucking hate this kind of music.