Special Interest
November 23, 2017, 05:38:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alberich/Kris Lapke  (Read 634 times)
NaturalOrthodoxy
moderate user

« on: November 10, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »

Can't see a thread specifically about this project but I'm curious about people's thoughts.

One of my favourite projects for variation- most stuff revolving around simplistic drum machine patterns distorted beyond belief with minimal synth and GO-style processed vocals but then some less rhythmic P.E. stuff too as well as atmospheric death industrial stuff.

In my opinion he pulls it all off pretty well and it never sounds inconsistent, i.e., all the different styles do indeed sound like they are being done by the same artist. From what I can tell from liner notes of other artists he seems to be a sound engineer and multi instrumentalist too?

Any other fans/thoughts?

totalblack
user

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »

Haven't heard any release from him that I didn't enjoy to this date. 'Nato-Uniformen' \ 'Turned Back' \ 'Fall Where They Would' being personal favorites.

The set that he did at the Hospital productions 20 years event at Berghain in October was one of the most blistering sets I've ever seen. Hearing that material on a Funktion One at 110db cutting through confused crowds expecting techno was priceless.

NaturalOrthodoxy
moderate user

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »

The set that he did at the Hospital productions 20 years event at Berghain in October was one of the most blistering sets I've ever seen. Hearing that material on a Funktion One at 110db cutting through confused crowds expecting techno was priceless.

Mate, so jealous you saw that! I was lucky enough to see Pharmakon at Berghain in January with Vomir which sounded incredible (and as a dirty British tourist I enjoyed being within the hallowed Berghain walls hahaha)

But yeah, NATO Uniformen is fucking incredible!

BTR

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:47 PM »

Everything is great, I have been spending a lot of time revisiting his synthesizer work on Prurient's Annihilationist these days. Very slow moving stuff that is so satisfying in the ways that it shifts when it does.
Neanderthal

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:35 PM »

I'm a huge fan. I had the pleasure of speaking with him for a half hour at the Hospital after party at St. Vitus.
Very real, very human. Absolutely no sense of pretense or superiority and truly deserving of any form of support.
There is an Alberich full-length in the works but that's all I know.
Zeno Marx
Diehard user

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 11:51:14 PM »

New to me, so thank you for bringing him forward.  Some of my favorite tracks so far would have been perfectly at home in the early stages of the Hands label and next to Winterkalte releases.  Smart industrial repetition.  eg "Rumbala"

https://www.discogs.com/label/1877-Hands-Productions

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
collapsedhole
user

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:51:35 AM »

you're right zeno - very much a Winterkalte/Hands vibe.... but soooo much better. i'm amused at the fact i got into noise through music like Ant-Zen/Hands and in past few years it seems to have come full-circle back to synths/rythms...

"nato-uniformen" is amazing... so many good tracks.

have been fortunate enough to see him live a few times. variations in the noise but the rhythm tracks remained the same. totally killer coming out of a loud system and very welcome inbetween straight-up noise sets.

amazing sound engineer as well. his credits are a long list when it comes to studio work - he knows what he's doing to "professionally" master abrasive music for sure.
Si Clark
Diehard user

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:53:33 AM »

Had to miss his gig in Europe which was a shame, I am hoping he will play again soon over here. So many good releases from this artist. One of my favourite is 'The Cave Allegory' on the Vampire 6xtape box. Probably online somewhere. Really slow build up but so amazing.

absurdexposition
Heavy user

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 04:09:23 AM »

variations in the noise but the rhythm tracks remained the same. totally killer coming out of a loud system and very welcome inbetween straight-up noise sets.

Last year's set in Montreal was actually the opposite. A welcome respite of straight-up noise from a night of underwhelming "power electronics" aka techno.

NaturalOrthodoxy
moderate user

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »

I'm glad he's as well regarded as I'd hope- acts that revolve around beats are understandably problematic because it can so easily veer into lazy "techno masquerading as P.E." territory. Whereas Alberich uses beats without mitigating any of the atmosphere or general noisiness of it.

Even tracks like "Magnesium" (a 4/4 kick with delay on it with nothing but a reverby oscillation and occasional drops of distortion) absolutely bang.

Zeno Marx
Diehard user

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:32:56 PM »

you're right zeno - very much a Winterkalte/Hands vibe.... but soooo much better.
I want to argue with this statement, but you might be right...because when I originally heard the Winterkalte 10", it was a very big deal in my world and for many who scoured the Malignant catalogue for the new since Mr.Mantis was so keyed into emerging labels and ideas...and because I'm hesitant, and cautious, to allow today's enthusiasm to cloud the past.  If nothing else, Alberich seems to be more consistent than Winterkalte ever was.  I could be wrong about this, but I believe the Winterkalte 10" was one of Malignant's all-time best sellers.  Took us all by storm.

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: