LASSE MARHAUG appreciation topic

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, October 11, 2017, 10:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Been listening to LASSE MARHAUG "Camellia Sinensis" tape box.

Edition of 100 hand-numbered copies.
Recorded at the best studio in Oslo 2008-2009.
Comes packaged inside a box with a 64 page book and the four tapes inside. Tapes & book come packaged inside a 6 1/2 inch x 9 inch vinyl case.

My own small input to this comes from re-print of Marhaug's tape themed interview from Special Interests #1. From 2009. Fuck, time goes so fast..  Meaning, I just put this to shelves to be "listened soon", and 7 years later being blown up by Marhaug abusing Metal Objects, Contact Microphones, Guitar, Turntables, Tape Delay and Electronics. There is logic in doing box of C-30's. Being that there is one track per side. Each track appears to be "session", which has different set up than the rest. It's all harsh noise, though. I remember 2012, Marhaug/Dan Johansson "Distort Orgasm" CD being somehow... too obvious. Just churning set of solid harsh noise and didn't check out anything released after that. According to discogs, year 2010, when this was released, was the last year when Marhaug solo works were released. Since then, everything is collaborations. A LOT of them. There is one new solo tape in 2016, but that is new mix of old tape from 2007.

Of course I'm not opposed to collaborations. But on certain types of noise, it just appears to be based merely on what are the people you hang around with - at some international festivals, and then jam something. It may work out fine, but lets say listening to the box of "Camellia Sinensis", it feels like in this one, he seems to have several quantities good for harsh noise:
Not only jamming with some good guys, so there is nothing to rely to. No vast impro band making chaos that you contribute a bit. All these appear live in studio takes, so there is the flowing feel of noise session, instead of editing. He seems to be more relaxed on tape mode. Not having to somehow prove to be able to make massive album. As wild some of his harsh noise CD's are, this has much more substance. 8 x 15 minutes separates tracks into good lengths. There are couple sides that ain't as hot as the rest, but they work along 2 hour wholeness. I'm pretty sure that if this would be on CD, it would be even better than reissuing White Inferno. I have no complaints of that. Having released Egoproblem CD myself, which has certainly personal importance rather than objective extraordinary value. On this session, Lasse appears to use a lot of same type of gear like in his early days, only with 10+ years of experience. There are couple boxes at discogs for reasonable price, so one could grab it now even without reissue..

Many seem to praise "Quiet North". It is very sharp and has ripping quality and aggressive force to it, but above mentioned box has several sides that are texturally way better. Same could be said about "The Great Silence". That CD is perhaps even closer to "Camellia Sinensis". Perhaps most drastic difference is the cd vs tape format reducing the highest frequencies - making recordings warmer sounding in good way.  "Camellia Sinensis" has different, more vivid and playful quality to it besides full on harshness. All these worth to grab, of course! Some should be available very cheaply, or if digital is your thing, just visit here:

https://marhaug.bandcamp.com/

Notable addition few months ago:
https://marhaug.bandcamp.com/album/tapes-1990-1999-2007
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Tommy Carlsson

Kind of sad/typical that this topic has no replies yet.

When I have people over for dinner, we usually end up listening to some Lasse Marhaug during the evening. I find that a lot of people who claim to like noise music have no check on Lasse whatsoever. Their loss, but I am always happy to point out the error of their ways.

The Great Silence is my favourite by far. Agree on everything Mikko says about that box set, it's a truly great one.

Lasse is to me what Hank Williams is to Kris Kristofferson, etc etc.

Oh, and this video is very cool, and you should absolutely check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVa_RBBtV2E

monotome

Yes, great dude, very genuine and in love with his craft. I should check out Quiet North, really like The Great Silence and Science Fiction Room Service. Read that The Shape of Rock to Come was one of his most sold releases, but I'm not into it, the track Magmadiver is great but the rest is a bit to tame.

His label Pica Disk seems to handle releases with lot of care (is it still active ?) and the Personal Best zine is one of the better ones out there, however also features other artists besides noise and electronics, thus maybe not too interesting for the though guys.

Baglady

I'm guessing people who just recently stumbled into noise, or who for whatever reason haven't dived into Marhaugs work yet, simply don't know where to start with him. Thankfully the 4 CD Tapes 1990-1999 box set is still cheap and easily obtained, and gives a great overview of his 1990's work. It's a pretty much perfect set in all its imperfection. Nice booklet with liner notes and old artwork too. Should be in every shelf.

As for Pica Disk, that label is still very much alive. The WITCYST 4CD box released just recently is pretty damn stunning.

bitewerksMTB

He was part of Testicle Hazard, right? "Beauty of Nature" is great.

Looking at his discography, I definitely agree it would be difficult trying to figure out where to start! I listened to some of "The Great Silence" & that seems like a good one.

Zeno Marx

I think there are a couple problems.  First, the catalogue is massive.  Second, and probably more importantly, he's so varied and is interested in working with sounds and styles all over the place.  It's overwhelming and unpredictable.  If he's a priority for you, those things likely don't matter, but if you're like me, who respects and has found some great work from him, yet can't mark him a priority, then you are satisfied with stumbling into quality releases by happenstance.  In other words, I respect him and have some interest, but I'm not dedicated to following him.  He strikes me as someone who is, or who isn't, on your "dedicated to" list.

The Great Silence was one of my top picks of 2007.  The collaboration with Paal Nilssen-Love - Stalk was also good from 2007.  Dror Feiler/Lasse Marhaug - No More Drama 2008 was really good. 
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Johann

I often thought that the lack of talk surrounding Marhaug had a lot to do with the fact he doesn't really throw any bones to the transgressive crowds. I think him more aligned in attitude to the Japanese scene like Incapacitants. That said I don't think there is anyone out there who doesn't consider him to be a master of what he does. But it is true that he is so prolific it'd be incredibly difficult to keep up.

I really enjoy the Testical Hazard, and also really enjoyed Distort Orgasm..besides though Pica  and personal best has been killing it. I can't wait to pick up the Witcyst and was so stoked about the Menstraution Sisters release. He really puts a lot of time and energy into his projects and the quality def shows through.

Andrew McIntosh

I don't remember that much but he came down here in I think it was 2012 and I saw him at a warehouse gig in collaboration with...someone. It was underwhelming. But I'm not holding that against him because that's how such things go.

He strikes me as a hard working Noise monger who doesn't try to fit in with any kind of image or particular way of doing things. All power to him.
Shikata ga nai.

Baglady

THE NORDIC MIRACLE - We Shall Provide CD (Humbug - 2002)
I don't think I've ever seen this album mentioned anywhere, which is strange. I've talked about it with Dan J and Tommy C and they like it just as much as I, but that's it. Three live shows from 2000 and 2001 in their entirety, but judging from the sound I would have taken it for a well produced studio album. Massive piles of scorching electronics, guitars, glass breaking and whatnot. It has the same kind of larger than life feel that one finds in Golden Serenades' Hammond Pops album, for example, but more raw and ugly. I usually think Marhaugs collaborations are less interesting than his solo work, but this particular album with Tore Böe by his side is easily among his best works. Total ripper. Looking at discogs, 31 "haves" and 3 "wants", 13 copies for sale from $3, come on... The liner notes implicitly speaks of great things to come, but sadly the project seems to have died after this fine CD and some comp tracks.

holy ghost

Aside from The Great Silence which I really enjoyed I don't own a lot of his solo stuff but I tend to try and grab Jazkammer releases whenever I can. I didn't get all of those monthly series but I really loved the noisecore one, Musica Non Grata, We Want Epic Drama and Solitary Nail.

A record I really enjoy is the Smegma Meets Jazkammer album, that to me is the perfect clattery mix of both, a really great release.

I also really enjoy the Okkyung Lee "Ghil" LP that he recorded. I think that is indicative of how I know him, he's always involved in projects I really like. Pica Disc releases, doing collabs with other people.

However I'm a long time twitter follower and he doesn't post about tea as much as he used to.

Soloman Tump

Well this artist is completely new to me.  A wealth of stuff to attempt to get through here then.

Where to start.......?

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: Soloman Tump on May 01, 2018, 06:39:14 PM
Well this artist is completely new to me.  A wealth of stuff to attempt to get through here then.

Where to start.......?

What you should do is watch this performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVa_RBBtV2E
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Baglady

Been revisiting tons of semi-old rippers as of late, naturally some by Marhaug...

LASSE MARHAUG - Hell Is Empty C32 (Trash Ritual, 2006)
Carelessly elegant violence. Starts with flatulent bass, a steadily chewing loop ecstatically being fed with more and more junk, speakers bloating and bursting, ebbing out with the same flatulent loop. Side two. Grainy zapgun loop, stuttering machinery, feedback drills, metals, lsd electronics, off the rails completely. Lacks the focus of the first side, but makes up for it with the unpredictable, and by being great in general. The Michelin Man of noise goes his own way!

So, three new solo albums in three different formats on Sentimental Productions. Anyone heard any of those? What are they like?

impulse manslaughter

Was going to pull out The Great Silence but couln't find it. Now remember selling it a few years ago so probably didn't like it very much. Really enjoyed the cd reissue of White Inferno which became the Marhaug record I always play when I want to hear some of his stuff. The split 7" with Merzbow is also considered a classic in this household.

absurdexposition

Quote from: impulse manslaughter on October 05, 2020, 04:32:09 PM
Really enjoyed the cd reissue of White Inferno which became the Marhaug record I always play when I want to hear some of his stuff. The split 7" with Merzbow is also considered a classic in this household.

Two of my favourites of his as well.

I need to revisit the split with Aube.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com